Guess the map 16: No need for that latitude!

I'm betting Bird is the weeener

Countries that have sent women into space

That's still not it.

Nationalities of astronauts?
Some of you are basically dancing around it, but there's one last detail you need to be correct.

Yes, to nationalities. Yes, to astronauts. What's that last detail I'm looking for?

Both in the 20th and 21st centuries.

Origin of astronauts who've flown on one of the Space Shuttles? Or who've done EVAs?

But the Brits have done both...

So we're looking for something the Brits have not done in space, but most others have ? A detail.

Right-hand space traffic maybe ?

Edit, It does look like they came somewhat late to the party.

Peake, a 43-year-old former army pilot, is the UK’s first official envoy to space.

A handful of other Britons have already crossed the final frontier. Six, to be precise. But four did it for NASA, so the British try not to think about them. Another was the son of a NASA astronaut who paid $30 million to follow in his father’s footsteps as a space tourist. The sixth, and first to go, was a chemist named Helen Sharman, who flew to the Soviet space station Mir in 1991.

Sharman racked up a string of achievements — first Brit in space, first woman to board Mir, one of the youngest ever space travelers — but she did so on private money. Her mission was funded by sponsors that, according to the BBC’s report at the time, included a flower delivery business, “a watch manufacturer and a cassette tape company” (hey, it was the ’90s).

So while Sharman may have worn the Union Flag on her space suit and even carried a portrait of Queen Elizabeth II in her pocket, she wasn’t technically representing her country up there.

Last edited:
Origin of astronauts who've flown on one of the Space Shuttles?

This is close enough that I'm going to have to give it to you. Some of the astronauts who participated in Space Shuttle missions had dual citizenship, so it sent me down a rabbit hole of research whether to count Spain as one of the countries (dual American/Spanish citizenship), but then later I found someone else from Spain. So that's why Spain is included. Iceland isn't included, because while Bjarni Tryggvason was born there, he moved to Canada as a child and has Canadian citizenship. I remember people joking about that at the time he went on his shuttle mission, about a "Viking" aboard the shuttle.

So the map is based on shuttle astronauts' citizenship, not birthplace, and in case of duals, which country they actually flew for.

I'd thought of including the ISS, but in that case the map would also have included Brazil, Great Britain, Denmark, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, South Korea, Malaysia, and South Africa.

The reason why I mentioned awards being somewhat relevant is because at least in Canada, representing Canada as an astronaut is one way of getting noticed to receive an Order of Canada award. I've no idea if astronaut status leads to this sort of thing in other countries (whatever their equivalent might be).

Anyway... Canada will never not be proud of Chris Hadfield, who went on two shuttle missions and went on to command the International Space Station. He's amazing.

So thanks everyone, and you all managed to surprise me. Not one person mentioned cats or penguins! ;)

Open floor again.

(...)
The reason why I mentioned awards being somewhat relevant is because at least in Canada, representing Canada as an astronaut is one way of getting noticed to receive an Order of Canada award. I've no idea if astronaut status leads to this sort of thing in other countries (whatever their equivalent might be).

Here in the old world, it nets you the noble title of Viscount, apparently.

We can has new map?

iamhere.png

Here you go!

Just 7 countries?

They should be 10 actually.

As a hint, the map shows countries above a certain threshold. This could be a graduated map, but I thought it would be more interesting this way

Top Bottom