Guns, Guns, and more Guns.

MOAR !!!!

Iam loving all the replica world war 1 & 2 era rifles
I wish we didnt have such tight gun laws in australia sometimes.

100 francs which is about 120 dollars, but yeah. they would have modified it to only allow semi-auto-mode, though.

but I just saw no point in keeping such a gun around, especially now that there's small kids in the house :)

OK that's a little more sensible, but still how expensive can a looked gun case be?
MOAR !!!!

I'm loving all the replica world war 1 & 2 era rifles
I wish we didn't have such tight gun laws in Australia sometimes.

For a country with a strong shooting history Australia is very strange. I hear you can't even own pump action shotguns there:crazyeye:

This is the weapon I served with in the Finnish Defense Forces.

It is called RK 95 and it fires the rather nostalgic 7.62x39 mm. Basically, it is a copy of the AK 47 with a heavy milled receiver, different furniture, superior sights, a slightly improved gas system and a new muzzle break and some other small changes. It was a real pain to drag around occasionally, heavy as it was, but fortunately it had a folding stock to shorten it. It is an extremely accurate rifle for its caliber, as its made for ridiculous quality demands.

For a country with a strong shooting history Australia is very strange. I hear you can't even own pump action shotguns there:crazyeye:

Australia is an example of what happens when people go overboard in reaction to a tragedy.

Australia is an example of what happens when people go overboard in reaction to a tragedy.

What tragedy happened over there that they are reacting to?

Why would you restrict hunting weapons? I can understand restricting assault weapons, including pistols and combat shotguns. But I still feel a man should be allowed to hunt if he so chooses.

One guy is stupid. Big deal. I once read a story about someone who tried to use a dryvac to pump gasoline from his lawnmower. Needless to say, there was a black patch of grass around the dryvac, and the guy's eyebrows and hair were singed. Does that mean we should ban dryvacs?

No, we should ban morons from getting dryvacs if they would be in a situation where they could use the dryvac to suck gasoline with others in the immediate vicinity.

Some rather interesting weapons in here, any of the Europeans on here have a Mauser 1898 variant? And if so which war was it used in?

Some rather interesting weapons in here, any of the Europeans on here have a Mauser 1898 variant? And if so which war was it used in?

I am American and actually do have a Mauser 1898. My grandfather procured it during the Second World War. It's in good condition, although we haven't tried firing it.

I am American and actually do have a Mauser 1898. My grandfather procured it during the Second World War. It's in good condition, although we haven't tried firing it.

I love the "procured" line in there nice. Any case you should try firing it, a working WW2 era Mauser has to be worth a significant bit of money.

They trade routinely for several hundred dollars, depending on condition. Maybe $1500-2000 for a particularly good one.

But the rule does not account for the fact that my gun is incapable of destroying me or anyone when it is not loaded. The rule is incomplete.

That violates another NRA safety rule, which is always assume that the weapon is loaded. All it takes is for one round to accidentally fall of the clip into the chamber. In the Army, they made sure we were vigilant not to point at anything unless serious (and seriously ordered to).

My dream rifle was a semi-auto M4 based carbine with M16 sights. Calibred 0.223 just for a realistic target shooting experience. Never bought it because I never had a place to stow it.

standard way to do it (and you're required to do that while in the army unless you have a gun cupboard) is to take out the whole firing mechanism and lock it a away in a separate place, which is what I did.

Actually we never used to observe that one too heavily - who's going to steal a rifle when everyone's got on in their locker? In fact, when I was in Basic Training we were out on a run when our platoon commander entered our room and gave all of our lockers a kick. Those which opened had the rifles taken out, the bolts removed, and the bolts put in the recruit's drawer before the break-in was cunningly concealed. As soon as we got back it was '**5 Platoon to the range for shooting practise!'... cue a few red faces a little while later!

I should get a shotgun. It's much more reasonable for home defense than a 9mm. I admit I mainly got a 9 because my brother got one in the 90's back when 9's were popular (mainly due to rap songs and such). But I worry about the stopping power of a 9mm (even with my hollowpoints which you can't quite make out in the picture). A shotgun is much better for home defense I'm told. I'd also like to get a revolver as they seem more reliable and less likely to jam. But I mainly want that for old school reasons.

But I'm not likely to buy any of these weapons soon, they are expensive, and I don't see a threat to my personal safety right now.

Plus if you are preventing entry, there's not much aiming if you're pointing a shotgun at a door or hallway. You should hit something unless you have the gauge too high.

But the rule does not account for the fact that my gun is incapable of destroying me or anyone when it is not loaded. The rule is incomplete.

I've been mulling this over and what bothers me isn't you pointed a gun at a camera and took the picture, but that you keep making excuses. I've sped on the highway, well above a speed that if I hit a pothole I would have flipped my Jeep and turned it into a smouldering hunk of twisted metal. While I did it in rather safe settings -- on a freshly paved highway on a straight stretch at 3 am when there wasn't a car in sight in either direction -- doesn't change the fact I did something stupid. I know it was stupid, and I accepted the risk when I did it. I'd also have no problem doing the stupid thing again provided similar circumstances.

If you sat up and said, "yes, I broke gun safety rules and yes what I did is not smart, I accept that and I accept the risk and feel comfortable with my actions" I'd feel a lot better about you owning a handgun. Well. I don't really feel anything about it either way, but the point stands. The whole the-rule-is-incomplete-and/or-does-not-apply-to-me thing is a bad attitude.

I read a very good book on bushcraft this summer, which began with a description of the time you will cut yourself on a tool. Essentially, it said that your thought process will be "that's not what the rules say, but it'll be alright" - at which point sod's law kicks in and you cut yourself. If you always treat a gun as if it is loaded and could go off at any moment, you'll never have an accident with it. So treat it like that! Simple!

Top Bottom