Guns, Guns, and more Guns.

Some rather interesting weapons in here, any of the Europeans on here have a Mauser 1898 variant? And if so which war was it used in?

My girlfriend's dad has a Mauser, I believe it's a WW2 era gun though. Haven't seen it with my own eyes yet.

don't be silly. Do I need to point out how a gun operates? It cannot fire without a bullet in it. It's completely impossible for it to do any damage to you when there is no bullet in it (unless you drop it on your foot :) ). The rules of gun safety were made that way because they figured people were too stupid to know how to check if there were bullets in it, so it's easier to just make a blanket statement saying, never point the gun at yourself (or anyone else). Actually they sometimes say never point a gun at someone unless you intend to shoot. But that statement is too general. It doesn't cover things like movies where they point guns at each other all the time, and makes no distinction between unloaded and loaded guns.

The bolded part, in particular, is simply incorrect. Col. Jeff Cooper, widely respected and regarded as the father of what is commonly known as "the Modern Technique" of handgun shooting, advocated these rules for everyone, from complete novices to graduates of his most advanced classes, the latter were definitely people that "knew how to check if there were bullets in it".

wikipedia said:
Cooper advocated four basic rules of gun safety:
1-All guns are always loaded. Even if they are not, treat them as if they are.
2-Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy. (For those who insist that this particular gun is unloaded, see Rule 1.)
3-Keep your finger off the trigger till your sights are on the target. This is the Golden Rule. Its violation is directly responsible for about 60 percent of inadvertent discharges.
4-Identify your target, and what is behind it. Never shoot at anything that you have not positively identified.

This fellow demonstrates why one should assume guns are always loaded:

Link to video.

As an avid shooter, I feel I am much more knowledgable than the average Joe about firearms and firearm safety; that said, however, I never break the aforementioned rules. Mess up once and the repercussions could be severe.

As an avid shooter, I feel I am much more knowledgable than the average Joe about firearms and firearm safety; that said, however, I never break the aforementioned rules. Mess up once and the repercussions could be severe.

I'm not quite in that camp. The beauty of the rules is, you can pretty much get away with breaking one of the first three and no blood will be spilled if the other two are still followed. For example, after cleaning and reassembling a (centerfire, semiauto) pistol I will rack it to cock it and pull the trigger. However, even as I break rule #3 (and even arguably rule #1), I will point it in a safe direction when doing so no matter how certain I am that it is still unloaded, and it is interesting that the rules are so ingrained into me that I really can't do it unless I'm paying attention to it.

Jeez, this is getting to be like a babe thread that (d)evolves into a discussion of condoms...

If my campaign of slander and misinformation ever succeeds in convincing my girlfriend to drop her 'no guns in my house' rule, then I'm going to acquire myself a Marlin 336 in 30-30. I'm thinking of getting the one with the larger lever grip so I can use it in the winter with gloves on. At the moment though, I am a sad, gunless man.

If my campaign of slander and misinformation ever succeeds in convincing my girlfriend to drop her 'no guns in my house' rule, then I'm going to acquire myself a Marlin 336 in 30-30. I'm thinking of getting the one with the larger lever grip so I can use it in the winter with gloves on. At the moment though, I am a sad, gunless man.

If you'd like, we can marry one another and dump the stupid liberal women.

This fellow demonstrates why one should assume guns are always loaded:

Link to video.

Jesus christ, seriously?? "I am the only one in this room who is professional enough to handle this gun. Now, I know this weapon is not loaded, so..." BLAM!!! :eek:

I can't get over that there are little kids in that room. If I was a parent I would ask that everyone put down any firearms and get my kid out of there immediately. DEA or not, that dude has proven himself unsafe. (You gotta love how the crowd gets agitated when he picks up the rifle, and he says something like "Guys! Guys! This weapon is not loaded!" (Uhh, you said that right before you shot yourself in the leg, champ.)

Jesus christ, seriously?? "I am the only one in this room who is professional enough to handle this gun. Now, I know this weapon is not loaded, so..." BLAM!!! :eek:

I can't get over that there are little kids in that room. If I was a parent I would ask that everyone put down any firearms and get my kid out of there immediately. DEA or not, that dude has proven himself unsafe. (You gotta love how the crowd gets agitated when he picks up the rifle, and he says something like "Guys! Guys! This weapon is not loaded!" (Uhh, you said that right before you shot yourself in the leg, champ.)

I know... it almost comes across as a parody or hoax, but that video has been proven legit (the DEA guy got 'reassigned', after the DEA threw a hissy fit and tried to prevent the public release of the video 'because it would compromise the agent's undercover status'). The next time you assume that a police officer knows how to operate a firearm safely and effectively... don't. There are absolutely police officers out there that are better shots than me, and are at least as safety-conscious in handling firearms. There are others that can barely hit the broad side of a barn in carefully controlled training environments (nevermind when the stress hits the fan), and a few that I wouldn't trust with a pellet gun nevermind a centerfire pistol.

Bought this the other week:

But the rule does not account for the fact that my gun is incapable of destroying me or anyone when it is not loaded. The rule is incomplete.

You don't seem to have the slightest idea how many people have been shot by "unloaded" guns. And if you think they only happen to stupid people, well...

I was reading a thread on a gun nut forum a few weeks ago (wish I had a link) where people were sharing their experiences with negligent discharges. It's incredibly easy to make a mistake. You may clear the gun 100000 times and get away with looking down the barrel... but eventually you'll be tired, get distracted, or something else. And you may just put a bullet through your own head. It simply is not worth the risk, unless there are special circumstances or safety measures in place.

Re: movie guns. They are usually modified so that they will only accept blanks. The chamber is too short for a live round.

You don't seem to have the slightest idea how many people have been shot by "unloaded" guns. And if you think they only happen to stupid people, well...

I was reading a thread on a gun nut forum a few weeks ago (wish I had a link) where people were sharing their experiences with negligent discharges. It's incredibly easy to make a mistake. You may clear the gun 100000 times and get away with looking down the barrel... but eventually you'll be tired, get distracted, or something else. And you may just put a bullet through your own head. It simply is not worth the risk, unless there are special circumstances or safety measures in place.

Re: movie guns. They are usually modified so that they will only accept blanks. The chamber is too short for a live round.

ahhh, but those guns weren't actually unloaded were they.

I can't believe how much flak, I'm getting, but I'm persistent. I should note the rules are important, and I never once had my finger on the trigger (although the trigger was in the back position and incapable of being pulled). And I never pull the trigger unless my gun is pointing in a safe direction (even if I know it is unloaded).

My point is there comes a point where anything beyond triple redundancy is silly. That is the point I'm trying to get across. I was beyond triple redundancy. 1) there was no mag. in the weapon. 2) I checked the chamber for a round (which on my weapon will "cock" the weapon and put the trigger in a firing position. 3) I pulled the trigger with the gun pointing in a safe direction putting the trigger back into the safe position (because no mag. was loaded to spring another bullet into the weapon). 4) after pulling the trigger, I checked again to make sure the clip was not in the weapon and the trigger was in the safe position. 5) when I took the picture, my finger was no where near the trigger (which is very difficult to do anyways with the gun backwards). 6) my gun is designed in a way that it does not go off when you drop it (although you should never rely on this safety feature alone). That is 6 safety redundancies I performed. I think any more than that is excessive.

As for the video, the DEA guy must have had a mag in the weapon, and another round sprang into the chamber. He did not do what I did. He did not eject the magazine, did not pull the slide back and check the chamber, he did not pull the trigger with the gun pointing in a safe direction to put the trigger in a non firing position. He was also foolish in pulling the trigger when the gun wasn't pointing in a safe direction (although that was accidental when he put it in his pocket). His problem is he doesn't understand the mechanical action of the gun, and how a gun operates. And a good rule is to never put guns in your pocket or waistband. LOL

I'm going to say right now rule #1 is not complete. If all guns are always loaded, then I would never be able to pull the trigger on my gun to get the trigger into the back position. I'd always have to assume it is loaded. That is the most ridiculous thing I ever heard. I prefer to keep my weapon stored with the trigger not in a firing position. If it is needed for self defense, I will have to pull the slide back to chamber a round. It may take precious seconds and put my life at risk, but the risk of keeping a gun with a bullet in the chamber is far too high. I never ever store my gun with a bullet in the chamber. So in order to clear my gun (verify it is unloaded), I must pull the slide back and verify there is no round in the chamber (and no mag. is loaded), and then pull the trigger with the gun pointing in a safe direction. But if I follow rule #1 to the letter, I have to assume the gun is loaded, which means I can't pull the trigger. So do you all see why rule #1 is not worded correctly?

My rule would state: Always assume the gun is loaded unless you check both the firing chamber is clear, and no magazine is in the weapon (or bullets in the revolver cylinder, rifles will be different of course). If you take your eyes off the weapon even for a second, assume the gun is loaded again.

If we were to assume guns were always loaded, how would we disassemble it to clean it? It would be unsafe to disassemble a loaded weapon. The rule is not worded right, and you guys know it.

The only rule I broke was the incorrectly worded rule #1. I never actually broke rule #2. I was willing to destroy my camera. I don't care about that. :D

I've been mulling this over and what bothers me isn't you pointed a gun at a camera and took the picture, but that you keep making excuses. I've sped on the highway, well above a speed that if I hit a pothole I would have flipped my Jeep and turned it into a smouldering hunk of twisted metal. While I did it in rather safe settings -- on a freshly paved highway on a straight stretch at 3 am when there wasn't a car in sight in either direction -- doesn't change the fact I did something stupid. I know it was stupid, and I accepted the risk when I did it. I'd also have no problem doing the stupid thing again provided similar circumstances.

I shall respond to this. I have done stupid things in my car. I have driven my Mustang over 145 mph (the speedometer markings stopped at 145, but it went a little higher). That was very unsafe, I admit. There were no other cars around. I was on a deserted highway. But if I had hit a jackrabbit I may have lost control. Or a blowout would surely cause me to lose control. But you can't compare it to my situation. Mechanically the gun is incapable of firing (see above where I discuss being familiar with the mechanical operation of a gun). Where as my car was mechanically capable of killing me quite easily.

That R-76 has got to be the ugliest firearm I've seen yet.

That R-76 has got to be the ugliest firearm I've seen yet.

Was accurate to about the distance you are from your monitor. Took longer to reload than to make a new one. On both counts:vSeriously.

Top Bottom