Hail Jon Shafer

lemmy101

Emperor
Just a thread to say that, despite a lot of the negativity around (and undoubtedly replying to this very post) there are plenty of us that love Civ V and all the changes and new directions you took the game in.

Not just newcomers to the series, and casual players or people too dumb to know any better. Plenty of hardcore fans that have been with Civ since Civ 1, and have played every incarnation well into the night hours. Plenty of people who only consider 'strategy games' their game genre of choice, who embraced all that each Civ had to offer, down to every dial and every button.

We don't like it because it's simple enough for our simple minds to appreciate, we like it because we see in it a new enriched set of challenges that will become the basis of new strategies and paradigms in Civ for a long time. We enjoy the game now, and can see the great potential for these as the game is patched, inspired modders take the reigns and expand your vision in new and exciting ways, and we await the first expansion with baited breath!

Sure the game has a few launch issues, and there may be little aspects of the game that appeal to us less, but the exciting new features and ideas in Civ more than make up for it. Considering the complexity of any game like Civ the bugs and issues post release are nothing to get frustrated with and there's plenty of fun to be had while we look forward to the first patch.

We content many are all here, and we applaud you. It may not seem like it, for as always those with misgivings tend to make the most noise, and drown out our voices. They're entitled to their opinion as I am mine. They are as correct as I am in their own minds, as that is how they feel about the game. As with all situations like this though the only great mistake they make is assuming their numbers are great in some united front of disappointment, lending statistical certainty and truth to their opinion, instead of all belonging to many different demographics of like and dislike spanning every feature and change in the game too complex to distil into simple terms of 'we all hate it' or 'we all love it'. For all those who love the game are too busy playing it. And there are many many many hundreds of thousands worthy of the title 'Civ Fanatics' who would never stumble on this site.

With 1UPT, hexes, and the deep combat system you have provided Civ with the one thing it has been direly lacking since the birth of the series. No matter what else happens you have made one of the most monumentally important improvements to the series it has ever had, and that is your great legacy. The haters will change their tune once the mod tools are released and they are provided with the alterations they need to satisfy them. They only get angry ultimately out of love for the series I suppose us that love Civ 5 need to remember that. It just frustrates that in a game that centres around user control via modding, where the whole point is the game can be shaped and changed to the gamer's every desire, that people cannot be more forgiving if the base-unmodded game doesn't cater perfectly to their own personal ideals of perfection.

But come a year or so down the line, this hate will have dissipated and with the wealth of mods out there, everyone will have the Civ fix that they want.

It just so happens, for a lot of us... newcomers and oldtimers alike, the Civ 5 you and the team released to us was wonderful in itself.

Look forward to seeing what comes next!

Love,

The Civ 5 fans

here here.

The game has flaws, but its so damn refreshing that the series has finally innovated and evolved again for the first time in almost ten years.

Seriously, you might be a little down that you're getting alot of complaints, but as the modding takes mainstage and the game gets patched, the community will thank you for what you've done. Seriously, there are some pretty ballsy changes this time around, and it pays off. As a Civ fan who holds this franchise so close to my childhood and imagination, I am loving Civ 5.

Alright. Enough reading. Work on those damn patches.

Yep, I love Civ5. Same as I still love Civ4. Just for different reasons. :)

Oh, and I don't think I'm a n00b or 2K shill either. ;)

Oh, I'm definitely a 2k spy, didn't you get the memo? I have less than 50 posts.

The reason nobody's posting much praise is that anyone enjoying Civ5 is too busy playing.

:cheers:

I'll be the first to admit that the game, as it stands, could use a solid round of patches/tweaks until it's part of the Civ pantheon. Nevertheless, it's a fantastic foundation, and there's a lot of great stuff that makes me giddy.

I like it too :) And no, I don't own a consol and I'm not a child and yes, I've been with Civ since I :)

The controversies behind the designer choices made in CIV 5 aside, I'm appalled.

It's precisely people like you that demand so little that allows Firaxis to get away producing a sorely incomplete game full of glitches, bugs, lag, framerate problems, no scenarios and absolutely no online multiplayer support.

No game is 100% technical-problems free, but there is also absolutely no reason for CIV 5 to be launched in such a disastrous state.

Neither was there any reason for Civ III or IV too, either, we aren't discussing the technical problems of today, we're discussing the core concepts and changes that'll be around for a long time.

I agree with the OP.

It's precisely people like you that demand so little that allows Firaxis to get away producing a sorely incomplete game full of glitches, bugs, lag, framerate problems, no scenarios and absolutely no online multiplayer support.

Huh? I'm not playing the same game as you apparently. And no scenarios? are you kidding? who cares? Civ is about sandbox mode, not some crappy scenario. Does anyone actually play those anyway?

I agree with the OP.

Huh? I'm not playing the same game as you apparently. And no scenarios? are you kidding? who cares? Civ is about sandbox mode, not some crappy scenario. Does anyone actually play those anyway?

Feel free to explain the rest of it: countless bugs, graphical glitches, lag, framerate problems and 0 online multiplayer support and infrastructure.

The controversies behind the designer choices made in CIV 5 aside, I'm appalled.

No game is 100% technical-problems free, but there is also absolutely no reason for CIV 5 to be launched in such a disastrous state.

I've played about 5 games through now, including a couple of multiplayer. Apart from automated scouts trespassing on city states and occasional checkboard graphics when memory is low, and a bit of difficulty skipping the intro I've not had one 'glitch, bug, lag, framerate problem'

Also they have already said they put extra work into the mod system instead of doing scenarios.

A great move. Use the additional time to provide the users with better tools to make their own better scenarios and better mods. A much better use of their time than spending that time on scenarios and the modders having the same fiddly tools and bad documentation and lower user penetration with their mods we had last time.

So 'people like me' being actual satisfied customers who have not had any of the problems you speak of? How do you expect me to act? You want me to feign anger about issues I don't have? Why be appalled at me? It's not my fault I'm satisfied and haven't had problems.

I must agree.

I love the game. I love a lot of the design choices made so there's genuine applause for the lead designer.

I have to say however that the more I play the more rough edges I find and a AAA title in that condition today is pretty much unacceptable. I could understand it if it came from a tiny indie firm with no history but to be published by 2kgames? Seriously?

If the game were a free download from a spirited modder we would have no basis for complaint. It is however a big-budget entertainment product for which people have paid real money.

In all fairness though we have no idea whether JS had any control over when the product was released. I thank him for a great design but it is severely tarnished by the state in which it is presented to the public.

Feel free to explain the rest of it: countless bugs, graphical glitches, lag, framerate problems and 0 online multiplayer support and infrastructure.

Civ 4 had the exact same issues, and Civ 3 had similar issues. Why act as if it is something new? Besides, your main complaints in other threads had to do with it not being Civ 4 enough, not the technical issues.

I agree there are technical issues, but that's the case with any game, from any publisher, these days. Technical issues aside, we're celebrating the release of a completely new, yet still enjoyable, strategy game.

If you can't stand Civ V so much that you really have to try to rain on everyone else's parade, please go back to playing Civ 4. It is a much more enjoyable exercise than bashing a game you hate online.

See this is my problem. You've taken a positive thread and derailed it in a new direction to side-step all attempts I made at a truce by admitting your validity to feel the way you do and that it's born out of love for the series, that I hoped might allow us to maintain a positive thread we could enjoy. So you've found your loophole to allow you to trash this thread also by finding something negative to say that's not covered in the OP. I hope you're really pleased.

In a thread praising the DESIGNER you've twisted it and started focusing on bugs and/or stability which are nothing to do with him.

Nice one. Way to hijack the thread.

Well it was nice while it lasted. We must have gone a whole 4-5 posts?

See this is my problem with the haters. You've taken a positive thread and derailed it in a new direction to side-step all attempts I made at a truce by admitting your validity to feel the way you do and that it's born out of love. So you've found your loophole to allow you to trash this thread also. In a thread praising the DESIGNER you've twisted it and started focusing on bugs and/or stability.

Nice one. Way to hijack the thread.

I mean no disrespect to you and no disruption to the message you're trying to convey with the thread.

However... even-handed, honest appraisal that doesn't happen to agree with your opinion should not be taken as a 'hijack.' In all honesty, when you made your original post, did you expect 50 pages of complete agreement and support without condition?

And please don't call people with different opinions "haters." That doesn't contribute to a "truce" or "love."

Top Bottom