Hammurabi Deity Isolation

Gwaja

King
I rolled this map on Immortal and played until the end, but based on how that game went, I thought it would be challenging to have this map available for play on Deity.

We are Hammurabi and isolated. And the land... I will let you see it for yourself. Looks nice and cozy enough at the start.

BUFFY is required to open the save. No need to open WB to fix barbarian techs.

1712986060288.png

Attachments

• Hammurabi Deity Isolated.CivBeyondSwordSave
    27.3 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Can you resist 1E? Maybe it's coppa for another free :hammers:... :drool:

On my Immortal play, I settled 1E. I figured with Hammy, health wouldn't be too much of an issue.

But it annoys me every time I see a more tempting spot that takes me away from fresh water source.

Risk with 1E would be losing 3E as a city spot and potentially killing seafood tiles, which might matter more in iso if island is small.

Make it a video so that I know what I'm doing this weekend! :popcorn:

1E debate
pros:
- extra 1h settle, 2h if copper/iron, resulting in 2 turns faster worker, at least an extra warrior, and consequently at least 3 turns faster settler than SIP. (2 turn head start, +1hammer)
- extra grass river hill and grass river flatland to cottage/mine for more commerce
- opens up city spot that can grab pig/share corn in backlines for easy GPP pump, and is on a PH
- this is a big one to me; extra hills gained by first border pop on turn 6; fogbusting at least 10 more tiles to the east and some more to the south, no tiles left fogged in the backlines, less barb crap
- all the extra hammers gained can be put into barracks and cover warriors for super safe warrior fogbusting without the need to go archery (rip UU but sorry you suck with agg and these starting techs)
- gains 2 forests (saves 1, grabs 1.)

cons:
- 2 health (but just don't chop everything right away?)
- lose a pig

kinda wanna play the map now, any interest in a henrik playthrough for this one?

@Henrik75

I'd love to see the genius behind you, Lain, or any other active YouTubers. I am not sure how your opinion of this map will turn out to be.

@drewisfat

Remembering how you survived Prepare To Die, I am eager to read your approach.

I know what I'm doing this weekend!
1E so obvious that I worry it's a trap

I see jungle to the South in the screenshot. Unless there's ivory and gems down there, playing this on deity is probably a wasted weekend.

On immortal, I would settle 1E and keep that warrior on the riverside grassland tile. Don't let jungle grow on it. Spam warriors and go pottery first.

EDIT: let me clarify the math. Say we don't park the warrior there and just explore normally. Turn 1 settler moves to plains hill. Turn 13 worker produced. Turn 18 corn improved. Turn 21 worker on that tile. There are 2 forests and 1 jungle on that tile. (1-0.003)^21 = 93.9%.

Last edited:
In my game there was jungle 1S of pigs. Maybe it spread there pre-T5, but I had to park my warrior there...

edit: I went mining first without thinking, but of course you can also cottage the pigs. [pimp]

Last edited:
I gave this map a whirl and…
Spoiler :

Even as someone who likes isolation, this feels a bit like hard work! One of the bleakest islands I’ve seen in a while…a grand total of 3 pigs and 2 fish isn’t much to build an empire on.

Spoiler Some spoilery thoughts :

I went GLH and I guess this is the play here, what with the rich islands :)D) off to the south coast.

Skipped monarchy (mistake?) and slowly limping to optics. Also just 2xGS for Astro, found it hard to get the GP going early.

Once I get to optics I’ll post pics: would be good to compare approaches.

@Nick723

Spoiler :
Very gloomy start indeed. I actually made Monarchy a priority myself. As for the Great Lighthouse.... I suppose the REAL benefits to be reaped would be coming as soon as Astronomy is obtained.

As long as the luck is on our side and none of the AI becomes a massive beast with vassals already by the time we make contact, I think there is a good shot... with what people here can pull off. ^_^

turn 0 to optics (no civs met yet so click away)
Spoiler :

GLH is indeed an option but delays monarchy for 300~ beakers of tech, and i hadn't revealed islands in the south for a while
only fought 2 warriors and a spear before fully fogbusting our tiny island. I'm on pace for astronomy 640AD assuming I can get Calendar in a trade, which is quite decent for this weak start, made almost no micro mistakes :cool::rockon:
Very low GNPs from our rivals for the first 100 turns before they picked up is a good sign, as well as numerous great generals. But always the risk of big monsters making it a hell of a late game.

No iron or copper on my island! wtf! hopefully my gut is right and there's nearby islands to settle with iron because our space was so small.
hammyisolation.JPG

hammyisolation2.JPG

Also the fact a wild bismarck didn't fly past on a caraval at 200AD gives us hope too. (ref to tough isolation game of both lain and me lol)

@Nick723
Spoiler :
You are probably in a better position long term getting GLH, although yes I think skipping monarchy is a mistake, cities being stuck at size 3 after whipping libraries and then stuck at size 4 until optics is brutal; as well as size 5 capital. Growing my cap to size 9 and others to size 8 made a huge boost on my beakers. I almost stupidly went Iron working before monarchy but realized there's no happiness to even WORK the extra cottages gained from IW.... so monarchy first with 3 cities it was. With zero happiness resources you have a very good case to go monarchy here.

Last edited:
massive spoilers
Spoiler :

oh boi its going to be a grind...

disaster.JPG

Charlie about to vassal GK, and Bismarck about to vassal Boudica to make things even worse, so there's zero easy targets.... I'll get ready to retire after a solid cannon+rifle attack attempt.

Make it a video so that I know what I'm doing this weekend! :popcorn:
Yeah I mean I pressed record but idk if I want my first full game to be the very slow very depressing loss that it looks like it's going to be lol. I think my game is actually on pace for a domination victory.... for the AI.
I'm impressed with how well Henrik's cottaging has held him in the game without GLH, granted the biggest disconnect comes post astro.

Spoiler :
This is one of the WORST maps I have ever rolled. No happiness resources other than sugar, no copper or iron, massive jungle, and relatively small-sized island with no other meaningful islands to settle nearby.

I would like people's opinion on Great Lighthouse. Do you go for it or not?

Spoiler :
i think its pretty safe to go for GLH, high hammer capital (skip ah) and small island so barbs wont be an issue. the land /surrounding land is not the issue,
Spoiler :
what lies beyond optics is the much bigger problem...
you can get 9-10 cities peacefully, most being pretty decent, two good spots on neighboring continent.

GLh is always worth it when isolated. Since we can't afford mids here and you told us we were isolated, yeah that was plan at t0. In the wild though with bad demographics, no cap seafood, wrong starting techs and the pigs showing, probably wouldn't have been sure we were isolated in time to change course.

@drewisfat

Spoiler :

I'm curious what is your development plan while going for GLH. Without AH I couldn't find anything much better than settling south along coast and slow growing 2nd city on cottages. Otherwise, settling one tile away from southern fish for example seems like a commerce drain early on.

Top Bottom