Handy 23 Random AWE

Looks like we are 2 turns from cav. I'd say we keep rolling both of the fronts forward.

Roster
1. Obormot
2. Sir Bugsy
3. M60A3TTS up
4. Northern Pike
5. ThERat
6. Greebley
7. Handy just played
No using F10 or any other way to find out civs before meeting them.
No initial trade - declare war immediately.
No looking at techs, cities, resources, etc in deals unless we have a spy planted with that civ.

Got it. We're only around 25% land due to the fact there's plenty of open spaces and the coastal areas aren't culture expanded. So in this case maybe we should just pour on the cavalry and go for conquest, rather than play around with tons of settlers and temples to get to domination.

M60A3TTS said:
Got it. We're only around 25% land due to the fact there's plenty of open spaces and the coastal areas aren't culture expanded. So in this case maybe we should just pour on the cavalry and go for conquest, rather than play around with tons of settlers and temples to get to domination.

Pour on the cav for sure.

We don't need temples, but may as well keep building settlers in the 1spt cities for the free unit support and research benefits.

I think we will conquest before we dominate, but we can pursue both at the same time.

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads10/Handy23_950_AD.SAV

Well the IBT was garbage, lose two knights and a knight army. Ugh! :mad:

Turn 1 Kill 2 Indian spears and burn Bangalore. Kill two Enkidus and burn Kua.

Turn 2- Lose a knight.

IBT- Mil Tradition in, science off.

Turn 3- Abandon Pompeii as there are 6 Indian LBs adjacent.

Turn 5- Towns of Kuara and Umma burned. Kohlapur of India is razed, and we get 49 gold. ;)

Turn 6- Kill half a dozen Indian longbows near Ganges.

IBT- Lose some workers to a War Elephant. :blush:

Turn 7- Kill a bunch of Indian LBs again.

IBT- Pamplona flips.

Turn 8- Capture Kutha from Sumeria and take Pamplona back. Get great leader Maximus and build cav army. :)

Turn 9- Knight army cuts Sumerian iron at Bad-Tibra.

Turn 10- Calcutta and New Bombay burn.

Post turn- Used temples to short-rush cav. With a few upgrades we now have 31 cav. The legion armies are losing a lot of strength trying to crack these muskets, but have had some success. We have two forward positions at Kutha on the Sumerian Front, and Caesaraugusta on the Indian/Spanish front.

At Kutha, we just need to get the workers to connect to the Sumerian road network to the northwest, and the cav can be cut loose.

Just use the legion armies for pillaging.

Sorry about leaving you in a lousy position and a red lined knight army :blush:

Sounds good. :goodjob: I've got it.

960 (1): We cut down two Indian longbowmen landed near Viroconium, three around Caesaraugusta, and one in India (6-0).

We take Bad-Tabira from its remaining garrison of two pikemen, capturing two workers (8-0). We later abandon it.

We auto-raze Tepetlaoxtoc, held by two spearmen (10-0).

We lose a cav and a knight to Sumerian attacks, while killing a knight (11-2). I didn't want to wait two turns for an army to arrive to cover our worker stack roading the jungle, so I took a chance.

970 (2): We defeat an Enk and a longbowman outside Susa, just re-founded by the Sumerians (13-2).

We crush a settler/spearman team in India (14-2).

We slay a wandering Indian LB (15-2).

980 (3): We auto-raze Susa, held by two pikemen, and then defeat a Sumerian knight, a Sumerian LB, and an Aztec MDI in fighting around the ruins (20-2).

We take Agade, held by two Enks and a longbowman, and raze it for two workers (23-2).

Elsewhere we eliminate another Indian settler/spear team, four Indian LB, two Spanish LB, and a Jumbo, losing a Legionary and a cav (31-4).

We found Vesuvius, filling a hole in the east.

We repel the attack of a Jumbo (32-4).

990 (4): We found Dyeapolis in the northwest, and I'm able to cut the lux rate to 0%.

We finish roading the northwestern jungle, and get our network hooked up to Sumer's.

On the road to Lagash we defeat ten assorted Aztec units (five of them knights), and an Enk (43-4).

We destroy two spearman in Pune, but the town still has a garrison (45-4).

We take Isin, held by two pikemen (47-4). We later abandon it.

We take Jaen, held by a pikeman and a spearman, and sink a galley on the way in (50-4).

Elsewhere we defeat three Indian LB and an Aztec settler/pike pair (54-4)

We lose a cav to terrain ambiguities--that's my story, anyway ;)--and smash the attack of a Spanish MDI (55-5).

The Vikings are building Magellan, which is a little further up the tech tree than I care to see. I decide to research to Theology, which will only cost us about 650 gold--two cav units, in effect.

1000 (5): We take Pune, now held by a rushed Jumbo and an LB (57-5). We get 72 gold from this trivial town, so the Indians have a lot of money.

We kill a pikeman in Akshak, but the town remains garrisoned (58-5).

We found Tarentum, filling another hole in the east.

Elsewhere we slay three assorted MDI (61-5).

1010 (6): We take Akshak from the final pikeman in its garrison, capturing two workers and a trebuchet (62-5).

We take Lagash, held by three pikemen and an LB, and capture four workers (66-5).

We found Artaxata, pushing our northeastern border forward.

Elsewhere we destroy four assorted Indian units and lose an MDI (70-6).

1020 (7): We storm Ur, held by six pikemen, and capture a settler (76-6). We gain control of the Hanging Gardens and the Oracle, both still functional.

Elsewhere we smite fourteen assorted units and capture two settlers (90-6)

We connect our road network to Spain's.

We found Hippo Regius in the southeast.

We lose two cav to counterattacks, though we kill two knights (92-8).

One of our Legionaries defeats the attacks of two barb horsemen and promotes to elite (94-8).

1030 (8): We take Nagsu from its garrison of two Enks, and sink a caravel when we enter the town (97-8).

We take Kish, held by two Enks (99-8).

We re-take Akshak, whch was briefly occupied by a Sumerian knight when left open due to flip risk (100-8).

We take Indus from its garrison of two spearmen and three LB, generating the GL Claudius, who immediately forms an army (105-8). We capture four workers and pocket 88 gold, so the Indians are still rich.

We found Londinium in the southeast, and cut down a barb warrior in the area (106-8).

Having completed a jungle road to give us access to the outlying Aztec cities, we take Cempoala, held by two spearmen (108-8).

Elsewhere we trample three assorted units (111-8).

We discover Theology and I turn research off again.

1040 (9): We take Sumer, held by three pikemen (114-8). We gain control of the Mausoleum and capture a worker. The Sumerians are down to one visible city, but it isn't their capital.

We get started against the garrison of Erech, defeating a pikeman (115-8).

We found Eburacum on a coastal site much favoured by the Aztecs. :lol:

We destroy two barbs and disperse their camp in the southeastern tundra (117-8).

We get started against New Calcutta and Asturias, defeating a musketman in each town (119-8).

We found Corfinium in a gap in the northwest.

Elsewhere we liquidate eight assorted units (127-8).

We repel the attack of an Indian LB (128-8).

The Indians are building Shakespeare.

1050 (10): We take New Calcutta, held by a just-rushed musketman and a spearman (130-8). We capture four workers and seize 96 gold.

We take Asturias, our first conquest in Spain's homeland, held by two pikemen (132-8). We capture three workers.

We found Trapezus in a gap in the northeast, and Bagacum on our west coast.

We take Malinalco, held by a single pikeman, and then kill three knights in fighting around the town (136-8). We capture two workers.

We take Chalco, held by a spearman (137-8).

We take Erech from its remaining garrison of a pikeman and an Enk (139-8).

We defeat the first Enk of Kisurra's garrison (140-8).

Elsewhere we exterminate two units (142-8).

Thirty-one elite victories this round, two of them defensive, produced two Great Leaders.

We're strong enough to push forward on every front now. I haven't seen a real enemy SoD since early in my round. Our margin of superiority is smallest in the northeast, where we'll soon overrun the modest Spanish homeland and reach the Indians.

It's still hard to say whether we'll win by domination or conquest. I worked fairly hard to fill in territory, but we're only at 40%.

Our enemies are building Shakespeare and Magellan, though not Newton. If this tech pace is a concern we can easily enough return to four-turn research, at about 160 gpt.

Enemy landings weren't a problem at all during my round--two on the east coast, one on the west, all weak.

Don't overlook the Spanish pikeman next to Ganges. As far as I know that's the only remaining enemy unit behind or between our lines. There's a barb near Pisae.

One of our armies in India is fortified to heal.

got it, playing soon

I think we should go for steam to make movement easier

we have so much land yet it only accounts for 40% :eek:
where is the rest hidden?

Remember we don't want the Great Library. We should either spend the 4 turns to research education or note what city it is and Raze it.

I don't mind turning on research if you want to ThERat. We probably won't make it to steam, though maybe we will if there is enough territory to take that long.

Your call.

save

Pre-Turn
we have 6 luxes, nice to know
fire all taxmen and employ scientists instead, now making 200gpt at 3 turns for edu

IT Vikings land 2 zerks instead of taking the empty Kish next to it
a brave barb warrior attacks a Cav and redlines it

1. 1060AD
take out 2 Viking units, a lot of armies are healing
take out a total of 4 more units, no losses

2. 1070AD
defeat 3 units and take Tula, 5 units taken and Cali whatever is taen for the loss of 1 Cav
defeat 1 unit and raze Kissura
defeat 4 units and Zambalam is gone for a total of 8 slaves
found Handium

take out 4 assorted units
reduce science to 10%

IT education is in and we go for astronomy, Vikings finish Magellan

3. 1080AD
take out 5 assorted units, 2 barbs with a camp
defeat 2 units in Barcelona and take it to advance, later abandon
found Pompeii
take Marad and Der for 4 defeating 4 units

move north and spot purple borders there as well

IT lose cav to Indian LB

4. 1090AD
take out 4 units in Madrid and take it, it has Sun Tzu, now that is extremely good for us
raze Karachi for 190gold

5. 1100AD
defeat 3 units and Tlateloco is ours
raze New Bangalore for 112gold

IT lose 2 Cavs because all of a sudden the Aztecs send 2 knights against us :eek:

6. 1110AD
Teotihuancan is now ours
take out India settler pair
found Palmyra, well conquest won't be so easy, spot an offshore Aztec town

IT India wastes 2 LBs on our cavs on moutains
we get astronomy, next is physics in 4 as well

7. 1120AD
take Xochicalco and Tlacopan
reach the Aztec capital Tenochtitlan
raze Seville

8. 1130AD
take out 6 units and the Aztec capital is ours including the Great Lighthouse
found Jerusalem in ex Spain jungle
raze Santiago

raze Lahore for 200g, but lose 2 Cavs, spot Viking borders in the north of that across an Ocean
rush a caravel in Madrid so we get a better idea

IT Aztecs land a settler pair in our hinterland

9. 1140AD
capture Texcoco, the settler pair is ours
found Gap Fillerium and Hillarium
caravel loses against Egypt galley which I suspect contians their last settler, rush another one

10. 1150AD
legion armies take out Bombay for 169gold
set up attack on Madras with a Cav stack
2 settlers in place to settle next turn nearby
take Tlaxcala and Aztcapoz...no more Aztec towns on put main continent, only an offshore enclave
sink Egypt galley, but I was wrong they are still alive

spot 1 tile island Birka, so much about conquest, suggest to now settler spam
take out India and Aztec and then rush some libraries to go beyond 66%

India and that 1 tile Island

former Sumeria

the southwest with the Aztec remainder

load caravels with cavs and defeat the rest of the towns

we have a ton of money (1130gold) which could be used to rush libraries for border expansions, we are at 50% land and with more settling and maybe keeping of Indians towns, we should be able to make it within the next turnset

so, Greebley, your turn to win this for us ;)

Greebley said:
Remember we don't want the Great Library. We should either spend the 4 turns to research education or note what city it is and Raze it.

The Great Library is in Delhi. That can be the last city to go on the mainland. At this point, though, it's rather a moot point.

The Great Library is obsolete already by now since we have education. There is no need to wait.

The Vikings must be on another continent. Let's fill this one as soon as possible.

Top Bottom