Happy Christmas to all at SL!

SL Christmas Honours List!

As my way of saying Happy Christmas and showing appreciation, I am bringing back the old Golden Fleece award.
Back in the day, Poly used to hand out a thing called the Golden Fleece award for service to CIV2 communities.

It's to thank our SL posters here for their hard work, and as we come to the end of the year, a fitting time to give shout outs.
Some of the awardees here already won the classic Fleece back in the day. But this is the new SL Fleece! Even shinier!
In the spirit of that ancient award, I want to dedicate SL versions of the Golden Fleece to some people here...

@Fairline
Golden Fleece:
For Art Excellence.

Long overdue! For his splendid
pixel CIV art, and inspiring us all.

@TheNamelessOne
Golden Fleece:
For Patching Genius.

For creating the Test of Time
Patch Project, breaking the
boundaries of CIV2.

@Prof. Garfield
Golden Fleece:
For Programming Skill.

For endless assistance and
peerless work in enhancing
CIV2 using Lua.

@JPetroski
SL Golden Fleece:
For Mods Above and Beyond.

For the amazing and ambitious
work with Lua, in creating new
frontiers for CIV2.

@Blake00
Golden Fleece:
For Archival Work.

For preserving and bringing
back so many old CIV2 mods
and treasures.

@techumseh
Golden Fleece:
For Long Service.

Recognising his years of CIV2
work, the new SL Fleece will
convey our heartfelt thanks.

Some of you may say this is a little over-cheesy, but I disagree. I am super proud of all SL members for keeping
CIV2 alive and working on so many ground-breaking projects. So, I feel some recognition is very much in order.

My thanks to all of the recipients, and all the best to everyone in 2022!
:)

@tootall_2012

I agree. I later today realised he should have been included in the roll call.
So, if everyone else here concurs, let us bestow our mark of gratitude. :)

@gapetit
Golden Fleece:
For Excellent CIV2 Work.

Recognising the tireless tasks
Gapetit performed in updating
so many classic scenarios into
the CIV2 ToT format.

It is great to have this community. This game will always be something special. If we ever become millionaires we'll have to all quit our jobs for a year and build a version of it we can freely distribute to keep it going strong lol. Thank you Curt!

30 years later, and we are still here. :)

30 years ago Civ 1 was released, not Civ 2 - but may be in 30 years Civ 2 will still be existing, at present we cannot know it. This said, there is one big problem with all these dead sheep hanging on the breasts: Curt, you also made tons of very good scenarios and I think you deserve a medal for your work, too. I am only a minor modder with Civ 2, but I think, if two of the current medal bearers would propose you for gaining such a medal yourself, you can accept it. :)

Happy holidays to all and thank you very much for the medal (especially tootall for nominating me :hug:).

And since I'm here, I want to nominate 3 nominations for the people who were fundamental for me in continuing in Civ-2 and adapting to ToT, and who are not yet: and they are:

@Catfish : because I think that your page and your contributions to Civ-2 are fundamental for the conversions that I made, so if a bad student has an award, how could his teacher not deserve it?

@CurtSibling : I am fascinated by its fantasy and historical settings and I think it is one of the engines that keeps SL going.

@Tanelorn : his effort, talent and continuous contributions, I think he deserves to be rewarded.

And I leave some that I hope others nominate for deserving without a doubt, but I do not want to extend my recommendations too much.

Last edited:
Good call, @gapetit !
I'll skip self-rewarding myself anything, but I do appreciate the nod from such a veteran CIV2 man. :)
Some final medals to salute two creators who I agree have made massive contributions to our community.

@Catfish
Golden Fleece:
For Splendid CIV2 Work.

For his great graphics, mods,
advice and keeping the flag
of CIV2 aloft for many years.

@Tanelorn
Golden Fleece:
For Meritorious Pixels.

For his mighty pixel art and
contributions to a vast store
of CIV2 resources.

And...My own reward will be another cup of coffee this morning!
And once more, my thanks and honour to all my CIV2 comrades here!

(EDIT: Ops was typing this post just as Curt posted an actual medal for Catfish so didn't see it until now!)

Maybe @Catfish will come back if we give him a medal for most missed contributor. :lol::lol:

Man I have so many questions for that man but sadly he went inactive not long after I became active here so I just missed out on chatting to a fellow Aussie about all the great stuff he did.

Also I think it's worth noting in this end of year Civ2 SL celebration is that we got brief visits from SL celebrities @Blackclove HERE and @St. Leo HERE this year in 2021 which was pretty cool as I didn't think we'd ever see those guys again. I can take the credit for luring Blackclove back as I pestered him on about 3 different websites lol but the St Leo one was completely random lol, I'd tried to lure him back but got no response and then 6 months later he just randomly showed up in one of my mod threads asking me when I'd be releasing it and then promptly disappeared again haha! :lol: It's a shame we can't lure these 3 legends back into hanging around a bit more again but people move on and life goes on I guess...

I hope everyone had a nice and relaxing christmas time. Let's hope that 2022 will be a year were life will became normal again and the pandemic ends forever.
Congratulations to all who got the Golden Fleece award. You all deserve it for your good work and therefore keeping this community alive.

Well speak of the devil, Blackclove has just reappeared again haha! Sadly his old CDs are dead so his Day of the Dead scenario appears lost for good but nevertheless it was nice of him to come back and say hi to us! :)
https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...n-dunns-civ2-site.669203/page-2#post-16204989

Yeah that's a shame about the Nemo appearance. I processed a number of his & Alex's scenarios in my preservation project and their work was amazing!

I should also say that @CivPartisan John Valdez is another Civ2 modding celebrity I really wish would come back as he made so many awesome mods back in the day and some of his ideas matched my ideas for mods (hence why I've picked up some of his projects to try and finish myself) so I'd love to talk to him about it all. He also had a great Civ2 website with lots of other peoples scenarios on it and in his links section he had a link to my old 1998 unreleased Star Wars scenario website making him probably the only person to ever find my little page and link to it haha, so I wish I could thank him for that lol. Similar to Catfish, John was still lurking here when I joined CFC but back in those first couple of years I didn't know who he was yet sadly!

Yeah that's a shame about the Nemo appearance. I processed a number of his & Alex's scenarios in my preservation project and their work was amazing!

It's hard to say enough about what Nemo, and Red Front specifically, did for this game.

so I'd love to talk to him about it all

You know, some of the giants are gone, but the people who remain were there in some cases from the beginning and interacted with Harlan, Nemo, Alex, Allard, Agricola, Sun Tzu, Jesus, Kobayashi, Case, Daumen, Jeszenka, Eyn, Eivind, Blackclove, and many, many more.

I for one, would be extremely interested to see your youtube channel start interviewing those of us who are left, as most of us knew these guys, remember the community, remember what these scenarios you're working so hard to save meant from a design perspective. Most of us have read Harlan and Leon's treatise on scenario development, or could tell you what Red Front meant to them. Many of us had emails back and forth with Alex trying to convince him to stop trying to charge us for his work lol. Many of us remember the scenario design contests, or unique scenarios like "Slash and Burn" by Schlectma or "The Odyssey" by (name evades me).

I think it would be really cool to get to listen to my peers' thoughts on this game and I also think it would be cool to also talk to you and nerd it up about all of this. You're basically the person who preserves our history at this point and preserving the oral record could be part of that, if you so chose.

It's hard to say enough about what Nemo, and Red Front specifically, did for this game.

Indeed, his eruption onto the Civ2 scene changed the course of mod making. Fairline is also the true artistic heir in visual mega-influence for our game.

Harlan, Nemo, Alex, Allard, Agricola, Sun Tzu, Jesus, Kobayashi, Case, Daumen, Jeszenka, Eyn, Eivind, Blackclove...

A roll call of creative excellence.

I for one, would be extremely interested to see your youtube channel start interviewing those of us who are left, as most of us knew these guys, remember the community, remember what these scenarios you're working so hard to save meant from a design perspective. Most of us have read Harlan and Leon's treatise on scenario development, or could tell you what Red Front meant to them. Many of us had emails back and forth with Alex trying to convince him to stop trying to charge us for his work lol. Many of us remember the scenario design contests, or unique scenarios like "Slash and Burn" by Schlectma or "The Odyssey" by (name evades me).

Yeah, I second this.

Top Bottom