Harald Hardrada

I seriously can't think of less threatening name - maybe that's some psychological trick? You know, nobody treats approaching "penguins" seriously until they kill 100 men and sink battleship? :p

It's a great name, but Norway has nothing on the crazy Russians.

Who else would develop an ICBM with 10 MIRV nuclear war heads (the RT-23) and name it "Well done"? :lol:

It's a great name, but Norway has nothing on the crazy Russians.

Who else would develop an ICBM with 10 MIRV nuclear war heads (the RT-23) and name it "Well done"? :lol:

Let's not forget handcuffs "Tenderness" and MRLS "Buratino" (Russian equivalent of Pinocchio)

Or perhaps the Hoplite is a unique for Greece, and the Trireme is an extra unique for Pericles?

That is what I am hoping for.

If Greece get the trireme, is there no general naval unit on sailing then?

edit: nvm, galley :p

But since trireme doesnt unlock with sailing, when excatly would greece get their hands on it? Seems odd...

The Galley is the Ancient era melee ship and the Quadrireme is the classical era ranged ship. The fact that they didn't name the generic ship Trireme for the first time ever makes me think it is a Greek UU.

Right... but if the only incentive to have a navy is to counter another navy, they're not extremely relevant. I don't know the base ranges on naval units in VI, but if you're two tiles inland (the minimum to still build a harbor district, I believe), then naval units will pose little direct threat to your city.

Obviously you ought to still have a navy, but it seems to be more marginalized this time around.

Somewhere on this forum it was said that a city could have an unlimited number of seatrade routes. This means that having access and control of the seas are highly important for your economy. Thus a raiding Viking Longship or a sneeky German Uboot might be capable of crippling your economy if you don`t counter it.

If you choose to not settle a city on he coast you may build harbour earliest at pop 4 in maybe your second or third city, but then you have to postpone building other valuable districts. If you settle on the coast you can build naval units right away and slingshot your tech in the maritime direction....

So basically they revealed so much from the stream even without the damn civilopedia, only enforcing my view of it being a ridiculous overreaction on their part to pull the video.

I seriously can't think of less threatening name - maybe that's some psychological trick? You know, nobody treats approaching "penguins" seriously until they kill 100 men and sink battleship? :p
Penguins aren't built for power and speed on land! But in the water they are incredibly graceful and agile swimmers. Despite their relatively small size and ability to go on land, they can swim as fast as dolphins! On land they can survive temperatures so cold it would kill a exposed human in a matter of seconds! They are exclusively carnivores and catch all sorts of fish, krill, crabs, ect. Pretty amazing birds.

If that is true about no limits on trade routes into a city, that is a pretty massive boost for Egypt as they'll likely be everyone's first choice. That would create pretty massive disparity.

So Viking Longship and Stave Church as the civilization's UU and UB (as confirmed by the tool-tip screenshots)...

I'm thinking that the civilization itself will end up being called Norway. From II to IV, they were called Vikings but V changed that trend and added in separate Danish and Swedish civilizations. Only fair to give Norway a chance to shine.

Also keep in mind that Oslo, Copenhagen and Stockholm were all city-states in vanilla Civ V yet two of them, Copenhagen and Stockholm, ended up becoming full fledged civilizations. So it is still possible that they could add them in later via DLC or via an expansion.

Would anyone else like a "Norwegian State Fond" UA that gives interest for amassed amount of gold each turn (like you could do in BE)?

Would anyone else like a "Norwegian State Fond" UA that gives interest for amassed amount of gold each turn (like you could do in BE)?

Possible, but IMHO a bland game mechanic.

I think there are two likely UAs from modern eras.
- Gold bonus from oil, fish and possibly whale resources
- Tourism or increased tile appeal (fjord bonus) from coastal tile, cliffs or mountains next to occean. Possible also adjacency bonuses from occeans for certain districts (airport district with hotel adjacent to occean gives tourism or something like that).

Possible, but IMHO a bland game mechanic.

I think there are two likely UAs from modern eras.
- Gold bonus from oil, fish and possibly whale resources
- Tourism or increased tile appeal (fjord bonus) from coastal tile, cliffs or mountains next to occean. Possible also adjacency bonuses from occeans for certain districts (airport district with hotel adjacent to occean gives tourism or something like that).

Perhaps the Nobel Peace Prize could be covered too.
Modern day Norway has been "peacemongering" since 1905....

With Temple replacement UB, Norway looks like deeply religious civ - Temple requires very religious civic and Holy Site with Shrine. My thought is the ability to buy units with faith cheaper, although it could be UB (for the city it's built in).

Also, the UB doesn't look like quite common and I don't think early UU is that cool. So, either UU is really cool, like having ability to sail oceans, or civ ability is very strong.

Top Bottom