Hated Civs That Always Ends Up In Your Games

PreLynMax

Your Lord and Master
Do you have that one civ that you really can't stand, but shows up in every single game you play?
For an example: Tomyris of Scythia. Seriously. Just leave my city states alone. Why must I do a Protectorate War every 50 turns on so?
Alexander of Macedon: Must you declare wars on everybody? Yes, I find warring in Civ 6, as other Civ games tedious, and I rather NOT do it, but you always push it too far.
Who is your most hated repeated customer?

It's mostly just Gorgo and Alex because they get on my case for not being at war constantly and then Wilhelmina because she's so insistent on being sent a trade route.

CdM(Magnificent) is going that direction too, for always insisting that I sell luxuries to her. Although I find her quips about her lovers to be amusing.

Kongo .... always Kongo

Phillip II constantly used to show up in my games and would get annoyed at me for founding my own religion. Well I don't want you to win a religious victory. :p

Tomyris used to show up every now and then and I don't think I've ever been able to befriend her for some reason. It's not like I have backstabbed you or anybody else?

Lately Kongo and I have trouble a lot of the time. As soon as I found a religion he is mad at me for not bringing it too him. I'm sorry it takes time for my missionaries to walk through that massive rainforest to reach one of your cities.

Then there is Russia. It seems like I always start near the top or bottom of the map on the edge of the tundra. And of course that means Russia will be my neighbor. Neighbors always like to declare war on you in the Ancient Era. :rolleyes:

I cannot escape Pedro.
The math on him continuing to haunt me as the leader pool continues to swell is becoming unfathomable.

There are few things more egregious than having to deal with someone smugly complaining that you’re better than them at something they’re claiming to be better at than you...
... unless that smugness is accompanied by intolerably chipper music...

I know a lot of the leaders have really annoying, patronising attitudes to me. It's my fault though, because I'm the one who chooses them in the roster during game set up. Qin and Gorgo tie with Kupe for me as the three most annoying.
Yeah Kupe, I'm sorry I don't have an extensive recycling infrastructure in 1200BC. Oh, and Qin, it's my fault that I out-pace you and build all the best wonders while your lone city sits there like a pimple.

I've got to say, I really like Harry. Just having a few ships keeps him beaming from ear to ear.
EDIT: I wonder how he (Harald) would go on a Highlands map.

Kongo because no I cant convert you. Stop whining. And Gilgamesh because he is always so extremely pissed at me.

Athens and Sparta have both unhealthy habit of spawning in my cultural games, bothering me with their agendas and their great culture growth of their own, delaying my victory by a good number of turns.

All of them. The game just doesnt have many likeable characters in general. Except for Cleo, Genghis, Gilga and Barbarossa I pretty much dislike all of them
I agree with the sentiment and have to say I have had problems with all of those too except Genghis.

Way too many of the agendas serve no purpose other than to make the AI hate you if you play the game well.

Teddy is pretty bad if he is on the same continent with you.

Amanitore and her pitalis are aslo bad.

Dido.

I used to do a lot of some sort of no Settlers no war Domination Eleanor-game. She was my Nemesis. Not only because her coastal tiles are immune to flip, she also has the tendency to forward settle and stealing some key tiles that were in my 3 rings (like for Great Library or other key wonders). To make it worse, I used to cheese it with some overcrowned Terra maps: she might steal either the early discovery of City-State due to her focus on ships or the Admiral for early oceanic navigation, which make me dislike her even more.

At the beginning, I used to play the game and waited until the Rock Bands show up. But now, each time I saw her, I restart. I remember to have restarted the game 5 times in a row because she appeared sooner or later in every games that day. Her ability to siphon all the fun from that specific strategy make me hate her, deeply.

Even now, when I play more casually with random civilization, I still have some weird burst of anxiety when I meet her, even if she is not really a threat in most game.

Anūk instant restart, Dido!

Last edited:
So Wilhemina always shows up in my games and always angrily snaps at me for not sending her a trade route. Like no, my priority is my buddies, not you, sweetheart.

Meaning she denounces me around the Industrial era for ignoring the several hundred years of her standing at my border sword rattling...like are we gonna throw down or not?

I always play as Indonesia because I like thalassocracies (and I’m Filipino, so it’s the closest I have)..so the meta humor is amusing.

My games usually involve Kupe showing up early and denouncing me for settling on completely open grassland by the coast for whatever reason. Saladin ignores me for a few hundred years before calling me an infidel. And having to spam supplies when Teddy decides to bring Freedom™ to one of my allies.

I usually make a manual selection of my bros: Gilgamesh, because he’s SO EASY to bro up with and be my personal bodyguard just for being friends; Harald because he keeps me safe on the high seas and harasses everyone else inland; Robert because he’s the best neighbor ever and Research Alliances boost me forward if I have to waste a thousand years of Inquisitor blockade with Saladin / Philip / Jayavarman / Basil grunting at me to accept their completely unbeneficial religion; Chandragupta to piss off everyone else near him like Harald; and now Ambiorix because he digs my ship spam (I also notice he reaaaaally likes City-State suzerainty, so yay Economic Alliance)

Surprisingly, Shaka, Alexander, Genghis Khan, and Cyrus leave me alone, so there’s that

Kongo because no I cant convert you. Stop whining. And Gilgamesh because he is always so extremely pissed at me.

Literally all you have to do is ask him to be your friend when you meet him. And he’s the most got-your-back-bro out of everyone.

All of them. The game just doesnt have many likeable characters in general. Except for Cleo, Genghis, Gilga and Barbarossa I pretty much dislike all of them

Really? I find that Cleopatra has the personality of a lawn chair. And Frederick just LOVES to annihilate beneficial City-States of mine.

I find that all the AI leaders play pretty much the same, and so my dislike of certain characters is mostly down to either a) those that constantly kvetch at you (John Curtin, Wilfred Laurier, Mvemba) and b) those with incredibly annoying music (Australia, Canada, Cree, Maori).

Really? Those are the best songs! I can’t stand Zulu or Georgia’s music

Tamar, always surrounded by montain ranges and rushing walls in all cities who ends up being a pain to me to destroy her when she overboard the map with apostles. this happened in 3 of my last 5 games.

Top Bottom