Helicopter -> rebase -> problem!

xxyyzz

Chieftain
I inserted a few attack helicoptors into the game. I made my land units, but I gave them the rebase option. The problem is when I rebase them, they are immediatly useable. Unlike when you rebase a plane when you have to wait a turn to use them.

This is really tossing off the balance of the game, being able to resupply a city almost instantly. Any fixes for this? Also, more down the lines, is it possible to make it so that you cannot rebase a fighter/helicoptor to a city without an airport?

And lastly, for those using helicoptors like the longbow, what stats are you giving the unit?

Thanks in advance.

You shouldn't make helicopters land units; since then barbarians, warriors, pikeman, etc will be able to attack them. You can, however, make them non-immobile air units; then they always lose if the get beat by any attacking land, just like planes in a city. Your best bet is to make it a normal land unit. :( I know, I want mobile helicopters too, but it's seems very hard/immpossible to effectivly implement them.

I do have them as land units, actually I have them as wheeled land units.

I might just get rid of the rebase option and just make them airliftable.

That sounds like a better idea, plus can't they just rebase from anywhere if they are land units? How do you plan to fix the attacking problem, bombard only?

As they are now, they attack/defend like any other land unit. You lose the ability to go over water though since they are land units, which was why I wanted the rebase. I think having a bombard ability would be too much for one unit. So I just gave them an a/d/m with no bombard.

They were only able to rebase if they were in a city. It was actually cool, but it made advancing in enemy territory too easy.

I think this is the 8th or 9th time I've posted this :) --

My personal approach is to make them land units, all terrain as roads, with the paradrop ability so they can at least deploy, e.g., across a narrow body of water. Also they have ZOC.

-Oz

Hmm... How about: invisible, land unit, defensive strength but no offensive strength, bombard with range 1, and airdrop. I wouldn't want an attack strength, because then land units can fight back; which is very unrealistic. A warrior can't defend itself at all against a helicopter. Defense, though, since when some thing attacks it (i.e. attacks it while they're on the ground, which warriors could do; just not very well :)), they must first take off and then attack. So high def, no attack. That'd just be the way I'd do it.

BTW: What does IIRC mean :D?

The paradrop ability is kinda cool idea!

What about numbers for attack/defense/move? I probably won't do bombard, the animations for the longbow have awesome hellfire graphics when they attack normally (no bombard). As it is now, I have been going 15/8/4.

Re-basing takes 1 movement point. If you gave your helicopter 3 movements points, then you would be able to re-base and move two squares. There is no way to get rid of this, afaik. You could do as they say and give it an all terrain as road bonus, and then only 1 movement point. This way the helicopter would move three squares, but one re-base would force it to finish it’s turn.

You cannot specify re-basing to airport exclusive cities, afaik.

Top Bottom