Help For School Game 3: What Civs (And Leaders) Do I Add?

Caesar of Bread

Trans Gordon Ramsay
So I have decided to create a school game at my new school. I’m planning to add at least 16 Civs and probably no more than 24. I already have 1 request for Austria to be in (my co-creator wants Austria to be in), and I know that America is popular enough that I am most likely adding the USA. So what Civs and leaders should I add? Should I keep the USA and Austria or no?

FYI I probably have until mid October.

So I have decided to create a school game at my new school. I’m planning to add at least 16 Civs and probably no more than 24. I already have 1 request for Austria to be in (my co-creator wants Austria to be in), and I know that America is popular enough that I am most likely adding the USA. So what Civs and leaders should I add? Should I keep the USA and Austria or no?

FYI I probably have until mid October.
Depends on what time periods are to be covered. If it's a history game, maybe have each era represented by a leader of that era.

Germany could be a good fit since its right next go Austria and it's a vanilla civilization.

Depends on what time periods are to be covered. If it's a history game, maybe have each era represented by a leader of that era.
It’s based around Civilization (Ancient-Atomic, Victories, etc.)

If your co-creator wants Austria to be in the game, better have Austria. If there any particular leaders anybody wants, which are also reasonable, I'd go for those and their respective civilizations.
However, Maria Theresa is the obvious choice for Austria. :mischief:

However, Maria Theresa is the obvious choice for Austria. :mischief:
Despite I also like Maria Theresa, this game could be a scenario.
If for example France pick Napoleon, is possible to speak about Napoleonic wars where he defeatad the Austrian emperor Francisco of Habsburg.
US was already a free country at the time of Napoleon and even bought Lousiana of France and Haiti, of course, should appear because Toussanit L'Ouverture engage war against Napoleon.
Now, let's think in Asia who were around at Napoleonic times. I don't know how it was in India, but I certanly sure you can have also a Chinese, Korean and Japanese civ. And of ocourse, the mighty Otoman Empire too.
Africa should have Ethiopia, Zulu and some of Western Africa states who was already around at the time, as Dahomey, Ashante, Oyo and Benin.

Good idea, Henri! I’ll probably add that to my schedule.
Here’s the game schedule.

Ragnarok (one for my school and friends) - Currently happening.
One Civilization IV
Either One Civilization IV expansion or Century of Change (1900-2000)

Or is it like the forum game I played with you a few months ago?
The game we play was too much harder to play at a forum, the only fundamental difference was in this forum I could do an alliance with someone who was emulating to be Brazil.

Adding America to the roster. Don’t know who the leader should be (people know a lot of them here).

I would definitely take this chance to introduce the players to new Civs- maybe a Native American civ or two? Not just North American, either- the Mapuche are a fun example because of how they resisted conquest.

It might also be good to clear up misconceptions about the Aztecs or Maya

I feel like they might get a kick out of feudal Japan, so Tokugawa would make sense as a leader choice

Of course, all up to the group you've got. If you don't have a group yet, too, that leaves you with the option of making certain Civ choices to entice players.

Just some ideas.

JAPAN
Unique Bonus: Bushido - Military units get one extra move if near a place of worship.
Unique Unit: Samurai - Replaces knight. +3 combat strength when against another melee unit.
Unique Building: Dojo - Replaces encampment. Melee units at a dojo are given 2x their bonus.
Leader 1: Meiji
Leader Bonus: The Restoration - Choose 3 techs during the start of the Industrial and Modern Eras. +2 culture per district in the capital.
Leader 2: Oda Nobunaga
Leader Bonus: Demon King Of The Sixth Heaven - Military conquest of other cities on the same island as Oda Nobunaga give +5 gold once a city is captured.

Would this work?

Are you sure you'll be able to manage a full-fledged Civ-like game? I've thought a lot about the forum game we played, and I think it suffered from trying to replicate the Civilization games (VI in particular) too closely, which led to its getting rather overwhelming.

I think the best idea would be to strip a Civilization game to its bare essentials. Limit it to one or just a few Technological Eras. Decrease the number of techs but make them reasonably time/turn-investive. Have only a few types of units. Determine what type of combat system you want and design your units accordingly. Dispense with Influence, loyalty and Civics. After you have a fair number of successfully-run games under your belt, you can then look to adding these and other mechanics.

Are you sure you'll be able to manage a full-fledged Civ-like game? I've thought a lot about the forum game we played, and I think it suffered from trying to replicate the Civilization games (VI in particular) too closely, which led to its getting rather overwhelming.

I think the best idea would be to strip a Civilization game to its bare essentials. Limit it to one or just a few Technological Eras. Decrease the number of techs but make them reasonably time/turn-investive. Have only a few types of units. Determine what type of combat system you want and design your units accordingly. Dispense with Influence, loyalty and Civics. After you have a fair number of successfully-run games under your belt, you can then look to adding these and other mechanics.
Im co-creating. One of us will be creating the mechanics, I will be creating the Civs and Great People.

Planned part of it.
Austria
America
Japan
Greece
Germany
France
England
Russia
Spain
China
Russia