[BNW] Help me settling my 4th City

GunnarStahl

Chieftain
Hello guys!

DISCLAIMER: I am playing on KING. I am not very good... but I can win on KING so... I am starting somewhere :)

I am currently playing this game, and I would say, it's one of my best start ever (I do think!). At least, in my standards... it's a pretty good start. I was able to get my National College on T102! I never did that, so I was kind of proud.

Anyhow... the game is tough because no civs have GPT, so, can't sell them horses. Also, I don't have iron, so my GPT is hurting.

So, I am looking for some help about where should I settle my fourth (and last!) city. I am aiming for a Diplomatic victory. As soon as I can, I will aim for Great Persons buildings/generation.

Thanks for your help!

EDIT: Screenshot is up.

Last edited:
Based on what I am seeing, I would either settle somewhere between stockholm and Babylon or just conquer Babylon. Taking over Babylon is what I personally would do (especially if he settled his great scientist to the southwest where we cannot see in the picture).

Based on what I am seeing, I would either settle somewhere between stockholm and Babylon or just conquer Babylon. Taking over Babylon is what I personally would do (especially if he settled his great scientist to the southwest where we cannot see in the picture).

I thought about conquering Babylon. However, I don't want other AIs to see me as a warmonger and... also, since I am aiming for a Diplomatic win. I wasn't sure if it was the good thing to do.

At first, I wanted to settle on the Sheep just north of Dur-Kurigalzu (Coastal city), but I kind of mismanaged my settler and I settled Sigtuna *before*. Good news is I learned from that. I should have settled my farthest city first.

I feel I kinda f*****d up my game now.

Hmm, well, If you want to get boats out to discover the world you need a coastal tile. You can't settle within 3 tiles of another city so I'd pick the grass between the sugar and deer and buy the sheep tile.

Is anything doable on the east coast?

Hmm, well, If you want to get boats out to discover the world you need a coastal tile. You can't settle within 3 tiles of another city so I'd pick the grass between the sugar and deer and buy the sheep tile.

Is anything doable on the east coast?

That was my initial plan, but I thought it was weak. So, I have to say I am glad someone thinks like me... it makes it a little less weak in my opinion :D

East Coast: there is Siam. He has one city just south-east of Helsinki. I'd say 2-3 tiles away from my actual borders.

If you settled the spot I suggested you'd need to buy that fish tile quick before D-K grabbed it, you'd be short of good food. You'd need to send a caravan to it anyway to get it started quicker.

Or don't bother and just take D-K!

Im afraid of going to war so early... And with not so much unit... I don't want to ruin my chances at a diplo victory.

Easiest thing to do then is get the coastal tile. I presume it's a continents map? If it was pangea you wouldn't need to bother in order to meet most of the city states.

Sorry, I've only just counted the civs and realised that.

You've got three strong cities already with food and hammers, so you don't really need that fourth city, which will simpy drag you down for a short while.

Deffo buy the fish and sheep if you decide to go there though.

I already have the Settler ready. I didnt thought 3 cities was enough when going Tall.

Thanks for your input mate. Greatly appreciated!

huh. How did you get your capital population so high with only 6 improved tiles and 2 farms in borders? Are you using both your caravans for food or something? In general you want to keep as many improved tiles as you have citizens in the beginning. :) I agree with the coastal site. Always good to have one!

No, Caravans were used to do quests to City States. I am playing on King, maybe that's why?

Settling on top of the Ivory would be my choice. It has plenty of food (on a river + 3 deer), horses you otherwise can't work and iron (probably oil too because tundra). I would consider rushing a watermill for it to catch up on hammers and also turning the forest into lumbermills instead of chopping them cause it's not that great hammer-wise. Another possibility is to settle on the hill next to the spices, that would piss off Babs but, if he has anything to say about it then you know what to do... his cap is very exposed.

. Another possibility is to settle on the hill next to the spices, that would piss off Babs but, if he has anything to say about it then you know what to do... his cap is very exposed.

I am not very eager to go get his capital to be honest. As I said, I am aiming for a diplo win and don't want to get involved in war too much. If I can avoid it, it would be great since I don't know what are the impacts of going to war when aiming for a diplomatic win.

In short, none. What you need for a Diplo win are votes and those you get from CS alliances, from each passing era and additional ones from passing WC proposals like World Ideology and World Religion. Also an additional from Forbidden Palace, if I'm not mistaken? Then, you tech Globalization and, voila. Tbh, I reckon Diplo could be tricky on King because the AI is just poor, which means you won't be able to take loans from your friends and buy every CS you want. On the other hand, you'll probably be able to win just about every quest they give you so that might not even be necessary.

If you don't feel comfortable warring, don't. It's not really necessary. I do suggest you settle both the Ivory city and that coastal city. The coastal city is really bad imo but, if you're going for Diplo, some TR with cargos will definitely boost your gpt. Obviously, buy the sheep immediately! The ivory city has a lot of food and growth potential so it will grow real fast and will help your science in the long run. Consider sending hammers to it for it to catch up asap. And, I mean, you have 22 happiness, you have literally nothing to loose. GL!

In short, none. What you need for a Diplo win are votes and those you get from CS alliances, from each passing era and additional ones from passing WC proposals like World Ideology and World Religion. Also an additional from Forbidden Palace, if I'm not mistaken? Then, you tech Globalization and, voila. Tbh, I reckon Diplo could be tricky on King because the AI is just poor, which means you won't be able to take loans from your friends and buy every CS you want. On the other hand, you'll probably be able to win just about every quest they give you so that might not even be necessary.

If you don't feel comfortable warring, don't. It's not really necessary. I do suggest you settle both the Ivory city and that coastal city. The coastal city is really bad imo but, if you're going for Diplo, some TR with cargos will definitely boost your gpt. Obviously, buy the sheep immediately! The ivory city has a lot of food and growth potential so it will grow real fast and will help your science in the long run. Consider sending hammers to it for it to catch up asap. And, I mean, you have 22 happiness, you have literally nothing to loose. GL!

Thanks for your inputs mate, greatly appreciated!

Yeah, I am feeling it's too easy on KING to win. I won a few time with Science, and Culture. However, I am not at ease with Domination victory so I tend to not try... I might switch a rank up in difficulty and see what's up.

I am enjoying the game, but I don't want it to be easy.

On the west coast, between the sugarcane and the deer. Hurry before Nebby's city expands to the sheep, and buy that tile. The other good spot is on the riverside hill between Stockholm and Babylon, next to the spices.

Finally was able to pull a T312 Diplomatic Win. Although it may not sound very good to you more experienced guys, it is a quite fast win for me.

Siam got pretty pissed at me and tried to take Helsinki but I push him back. He tried a second time and I pushed him back again so he negociated peace right after. I was able to get every CS when I gave 6-7 Great Person to CS to get every of their votes.

I think next game will be my last on KING. I might be ready for Emperor...

Top Bottom