Help Me Win at Risk (Map Provided)

I was playing a game of risk with my family, and it was put on hold in the middle of my phase of attack, therefore the ball is in my hands.

I am the grey army.

I believe if I attack the Red army in Alaska, I will win that battle. Because I would roll 3 dice against the smaller defensive force, who may only roll 2.

I also tested it here: http://recreationalmath.com/Risk/

However, red can come back at me in the next turn, and flood its more concentrated troops into my empire, after shattering the attacking front.

Therefore, I believe it would be more wise to hold off the attack, until I can also threaten Greenland; making it a two front war.

I can hold off green in Africa, especially since Blue is threatening to them.

Red and Green have promised not to attack one another for the time being. But that could be easily broken.

I think you are weak in the Alaska/Siberia area. Dont attack there. Its a case of sure you might win the battle, but you will lose the war.

The weakest part on the map for an attack seems to be Africa to me. Why not attack Green there?

And who is playing Blue, your pet rabbit?

:lol:

How many cards do each player have? What is the turn order? What is the set bonus up to? Do you have a set ready?

Pretty much have it in the bag with large troop bonuses for controlling Asia and Oceania.
I would crush Europe first as Green is the biggest threat to you, once you have Europe your position is pretty much secure.

Red and Green are allied ? so Red could take Britain to stop you from getting troop bonus and then take over South America. At which point Red will become the second superpower. Then you will need to attack Alaska and hold it. Only attack when ready and attrition Reds army to win.

So how on earth do Red and Green not attack you on your next turn if they are allied and you are clearly a threat to both of them? Is Red sitting pretty while Green mops up Blue?

I hazard a guess that it's better to attack in Alaska than suffer an attack from there, since you'll be slightly favored in the die rolls and a beachhead in Alaska kills his continent bonus for a turn and he'll need a turn to relocate to a neighboring territory to attack you any way.

How many cards do each player have? What is the turn order? What is the set bonus up to? Do you have a set ready?

http://i.imgur.com/ULoobBl.jpg

Here is an image of the map with the cards that belong to each player, circled in their designated color.

The order starting from Grey (Me) > Green > Red > Blue

We ended the game right after I placed my new troops, and right before I enter my attack phase.

Note: We are not playing with mission cards, they just got into the photo.

You can almost certainly take Alaska, and very likely hold it against any counter-attack if you keep reinforcing. You are strong enough on the Eastern European front to hold against Green for a couple turns without reinforcements.

Barring set turn-ins or horrendous runs of bad luck, this game is won for you - take Alaska, then consolidate your winnings and slowly grind red out of the game entirely.

The problem you face is that with 6 sets already turned in, turn-in rewards are up to 25 troops, and will rise by 5 with each subsequent set. As soon as red or green gets a set, you are going to lose your Asia continent bonus... and you won't be able to re-secure that bonus until you get a set of your own.

So judge your opponents. The smart move for the red and green right now would be to start swapping Iceland back and forth - conquer the territory, but leave only 1 troop there on defense. That way they are each guaranteed a card a turn; as they get sets to turn in, they can take the offensive against you. If your opponents started doing this, you'd be on shaky ground. Green would be getting a set pretty soon, so you'd have to prepare for a big army appearing on your doorstep - and almost certainly costing you your Asia continent bonus. You can't reinforce heavily enough to stop a 35+ troop army which could be appearing in any of green's territories.

If you think green is going to be collecting cards off red or blue, you need to play for the long game. Recognize that Asia is going to get broken up; accept that. You can't prevent it. Focus on minimizing your losses and building up a decisively large army, while collecting cards for a set of your own. Taking Alaska is a mistake, as it would just refocus red on you and probably cost each of the two of you 30+ troops - giving Green a clear window into the game. Some over-the-board diplomacy would be called for here; you must find a way of driving cracks between the two of them. (If you think this is truly impossible, there's always the extreme option too - pull all troops out of Asia to reinforce a strong attack on red, hoping to eliminate him and get you North America).

If green is going to try to hold everywhere - not concede Iceland to red temporarily in exchange for taking it back on his turn - you have a winning position. Take Alaska immediately. After that, your primary goal is to make sure that red / green never take another territory off you; when you can, conquer a territory of your own. As soon as you get a set, outright eliminate red with it.

Top Bottom