"Helps Thwart Rival Spies". Counter Missions,keeping Spies home,missed text deletion?

Wade.

Chieftain
The Spy information states, "Helps Thwart Rival Spies". Does this mean as in performing Counter Espionage missions, keeping your spies home in your own cities, or is it simply a missed text deletion for Beyond the Sword?
-----

In Beyond the Sword Concepts\Espionage it states:

"The cost of these Espionage Missions decrease the longer a Spy remains stationary on a tile, but every turn a Spy remains in enemy territory, there is a chance that she will be caught and destroyed. The chances of being caught increase with your opponent's Espionage spending, with the presence of a Security Bureau and if your Spy has recently performed a mission against that tile."

Espionage defense is performed by:
1. Your Espionage spending against the specified opponent.
2. Security Bureau
3. Counter Espionage missions.
4. Apparently/possibly (if NOT refering to Counter Espionage missions or if it is a missed text deletion for Beyond the Sword) the presence of your Spies in your cities "Helps Thwart Rival Spies" as the Spy information says.

In regards to number 4; I believe that your Spies would be better used spending turns on enemy cities to decrease the cost of your eventual missions. The best defense is a good offense.

Like bardolph stated in the thread, 'Best way to prevent sabotage from enemy spies?',
"You cannot stop rival spies from running missions against you, but you can make it really expensive to do so."

Catching enemy spies in your city is more likely if you have either a resident spy OR a security bureau; you don't need both.
Spending a spy's time in an enemy city reduces mission costs, but increases the chance of your spy being caught. And I've found that if you put more than one spy in an enemy city then there seems to be a greater chance of detection, which isn't surprising, and if one of them gets caught then they will all be caught. This means that there is very little chance of being able to make a massive spy raid on a city.

And I've found that if you put more than one spy in an enemy city then there seems to be a greater chance of detection, which isn't surprising, and if one of them gets caught then they will all be caught. This means that there is very little chance of being able to make a massive spy raid on a city.

i've had one spy get caught on a tile but 6 others stay put. i really did not want pacal to have whatever resource it was (i forget now). it was a longish trip so i sent big batches of spies and they just stood there gossiping, pillaging it as needed. ;)

Top Bottom