Highest promoted unit?

GGracchus

Tribune of Rome
What is the greatest amount of experience one of your units has ever accumulated? This picture is from the Barbarian Challenge, and I got this far without a great general. I upped the barb XP cap to 500, which explains why I have more than 10 exp. He's got 13 promotions, two of which are from the protective trait.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    217.4 KB · Views: 692
Spoiler :

Mine was produced with 17XP, and got the 20XP from a great general. I was also playing a PRO leader, so got Drill I and CG1 for free.

I upped the barb XP cap to 500, which explains why I have more than 10 exp.

Well, that isn't very fair. Barb-caps were put in the game for a very good reason.

Highest I had was a combat 6 privateer (was fun owning frigates on coastal defence) and a combat 6 with pinch infantry.

I had a GG rifle that started as an archer. Protective, so had a head start. CG III, Drill IV, guerrilla III, woods III, combat VI, pinch, cover, shock, ambush, and march. Obviously leadership too, so when things attacked him on the hill city he'd get 2 xp per defense and would often kill 10-20+ units in a given attack...

Did it help me win anything offensively? No, not really. Anything like air power, nukes, FS immunity, and the loss of defensive bonuses will cause it to die horribly.

Ha! This reminded me of an insane SG that I followed back in the day. It was a OCC on deity and they custom built a city filled with resources and surrounded it with mountains so there was only 1 way in - through a forested hill. Then they parked a couple of Longbows (who became Redcoats) on the hill while wave after wave after wave of deity units threw themselves at the city. Eventually, the Redcoat had every promotion in the game.

Yes! My search-fu was strong today...

One ridiculous Redcoat

60EXP bowman for me. I've had ridiculous exp units in the defense mod that came with bts- a hill warrior got all the promotions that it could get.

One ridiculous Redcoat
That somehow seems like WB, even after looking at the log.

I like more levelups, so I modded the games XP formula to require one more XP per level than the previous level required, rather than scaling exponentially.

I still don't get units like that, though 1000 XP would clear all possible promotions, though in a normal game it doesn't go too crazy.

Does the Defense scenario count? :mischief:

If yes, I think I managed 250XP before I got killed once.

Not using WB or counting mods that really radically alter the game rules, I've had troops that passed the 37-exp mark. Most recently, it was my cannons when playing as Germany in RFC Epic/Marathon. Because units gain exp from winning battles, not from killing enemy units, and because siege units never kill enemy defenders, it's pretty easy to turn an enemy city into an exp (and stability!) farm.

I've had a 140'ish XP unit before playing on the Earth scenario. It's actually not as hard as you might think.

1.) Use Churchill.
2.) Produce a city which can churn out 13 xp units.
3.) Make a crossbowmen/grenadier with at least CG3 + Guerilla 2.
4.) Attach a great general to it, giving it that one promotion that doubles combat xp and whatever else you fancy (I chose Drill II).
5.) Find an AI you want to attack, preferably taking a city on a hill.
6.) Park your "super machine gun" in the city and enjoy and watch the AI suicide its stack against your machine gun.

I did this against Monty on the Earth map. After taking his capital, I parked my "super machine gun" unit inside of the city and watched Monty suicide nearly 60 units against it. It's a shame the promotions available to a machine gun are sub-optimal.

*This really only works as long as the AI doesn't have cavalry or marines.

Highest I had was a combat 6 privateer (was fun owning frigates on coastal defence) and a combat 6 with pinch infantry.

Privateers can get ridiculous. I've had DrillIV, CombatIV Privateers. Since they're always at war they pile on the XP's. And if they're highly promoted enough they can usually survive one Frigate. Although the AI won't suicide attack with a bunch of Caravels or Galleons, they will with Frigates even if the odds are low for the first Frigate.

Privateers can get ridiculous. I've had DrillIV, CombatIV Privateers. Since they're always at war they pile on the XP's. And if they're highly promoted enough they can usually survive one Frigate. Although the AI won't suicide attack with a bunch of Caravels or Galleons, they will with Frigates even if the odds are low for the first Frigate.

It'd be interesting to get 2 combatVI privateers together. in my experience, unlike caravels the AI keeps it's frigates in 2s, so 2 combatVI privateers would be it's nightmare.

BTW the AI does suicide with caravels/galleons against privateers but it takes a lot of turns for that to happen. On marathon game speed I've seen it happen though.

It'd be interesting to get 2 combatVI privateers together. in my experience, unlike caravels the AI keeps it's frigates in 2s, so 2 combatVI privateers would be it's nightmare.

BTW the AI does suicide with caravels/galleons against privateers but it takes a lot of turns for that to happen. On marathon game speed I've seen it happen though.

Interesting. I always see the Frigates coming in 2s as you do, but I've never seen suicide Caravels against Privateers. That's, of course, if they're uninjured. If a Privateer has made it's attack, takes some damage and can't get back to a fully health Privateer the AI will swarm it.

Top Bottom