Hinge of Fate - World War 2, 1941-1945 v1.02

Bombed that annoying German Tank army back down to 1 hp in Syria.

Bombed roads out near Paris, Berlin, Bordeaux and Athens. (No ME-109s seen anywhere).

Killed German infantry in Tripoli. (BTW, nice Italian withdrawal tactic Sully. Good way to get those Inf Corps somewhere useful where US can't kill them).

Sank BB in Naples. BC redlined, DD damaged. Left some nice big fat targets if what's left of the Italian navy wants to come out and play.

Palembang Jap units redlined (again). Bank, temple and 1 pop also destroyed by bombardment. CW forces are closing in on Jap positions through Indonesia. A CW army has made its presence known just outside Singapore. Given that my army has Inf Corps and the Jap army in Singapore has Inf Divs, it should be a short battle.

Batavia captured by CW troops. RL Jap Marine was destroyed.

Turn back to Sully.

Regards
Misfit

Well Misfit what can I say...there's 4 ME 109s within 2 squares of Paris, 4 within Berlin, one near Bordeau, and one in Athens. Not to mention radar towers near Paris and Berlin. I believe I mentioned it very early into the game when I posted the horrible air attacks I was getting and have had all game. I've got them where they should be...but I can't get their sorry butts into the air!!

This has been a very frustrating game for me. Pitted against 3 strong players where Germany doesn't get the first move...well that is a recipe for defeat. That coupled with no mobile arty at the start for the Germans and Russian radar towers well interlaced...well it was impossible for me to do anything to break through the Russian lines. Now its true that Misfit had a easy time playing the Germans and accomplishing a breakthrough. But first off...Misfit is the best player there is... period. Plus..Russia didn't move first and frankly the Russian player wasn't fully up to speed with the gameplay. Not throwing a stone here. One has to start somewhere!!

The other thing though which hampered me was a superb Russian defense line. Eric it was magnificant. There were no flaws! Well Done!

A couple of technical observations...Germany whould start the game with a Mobile Arty 1 that lets them have the StuG III. Then MA2 allows the StuG IV and Wespe units. And the Stuka seems very weak in attacks. It was a fearsome air to ground attack platform in reality and fairly weak in gameplay. The map is fantastic! From what I can tell..your changes to the US production capability seems to have worked well Eric!

Will get my turn done this afternoon.

aksully said:
Well Misfit what can I say...there's 4 ME 109s within 2 squares of Paris, 4 within Berlin, one near Bordeau, and one in Athens. Not to mention radar towers near Paris and Berlin. I believe I mentioned it very early into the game when I posted the horrible air attacks I was getting and have had all game. I've got them where they should be...but I can't get their sorry butts into the air!!

This has been a very frustrating game for me. Pitted against 3 strong players where Germany doesn't get the first move...well that is a recipe for defeat. That coupled with no mobile arty at the start for the Germans and Russian radar towers well interlaced...well it was impossible for me to do anything to break through the Russian lines. Now its true that Misfit had a easy time playing the Germans and accomplishing a breakthrough. But first off...Misfit is the best player there is... period. Plus..Russia didn't move first and frankly the Russian player wasn't fully up to speed with the gameplay. Not throwing a stone here. One has to start somewhere!!

The other thing though which hampered me was a superb Russian defense line. Eric it was magnificant. There were no flaws! Well Done!

A couple of technical observations...Germany whould start the game with a Mobile Arty 1 that lets them have the StuG III. Then MA2 allows the StuG IV and Wespe units. And the Stuka seems very weak in attacks. It was a fearsome air to ground attack platform in reality and fairly weak in gameplay. The map is fantastic! From what I can tell..your changes to the US production capability seems to have worked well Eric!

Sully:
After I finish TOS 4 I am going to make some changes. After doing
some further research I came to the conclusion that the Russians
should not have radar at the start so all the towers will go. Also
the OB for Japan is missing some units (Mongolian Cav., etc..). I
did some extensive work on the Japan setup for TOS 4, now I
can use that information in HOF.

aksully said:

That is an odd result. You should have intercepted at least 2 of those attacks. I have to agree that the German build rate and starting order of battle isn't strong enough.

In this game, I switched to 100% money and having been building bombers like crazy. Even with the horrific losses I took when LouLong nailed Singapore hasn't really dented my airforce.

Some small suggestions:

TB should be defense 1
DB should be defense 2
B25 should be defense 1
B17 should be slightly more expensive to build (there are VERY nasty when used in concentration)

If you do those things, you'll make CAP more effective when it does strike, meaning that the only bombers flying over Europe will in very short order be B17s. Right now a DB is as strong on defense as ME109 is on offense. Sorry but in CAP I'll fly the ME109 any day against a DB.

German workers should build / repair faster (to compensate for the bombing campaign).

Regards
Misfit

BTW Sully, I agree with you. You couldn't win this game. Allied campaigns are reasonably well coordinated and you have strong CIVIII players against you. I got lucky in that the Russian player made some major tactical mistakes early (like putting his tank army where I could kill it). That let me blow a HUGE whole in the Russian line. Eric wouldn't make that kind of mistake.

If we replayed this game I suspect LouLong would be much more effective as the Japanese. I wouldn't have had time to setup enough of a defense in Indonesia. I doubt the situation in China would be the same either.

I may have grasped the multiplayer tactics well in CIVIII, but I'm barely average in CIV4. So a suggestion is to give the North Africa campaign a try there.

Good points Misfit as always!! I have never had such poor airpower results...ever! The first thing I do every turn is make sure the ME109s are doing air superiority!

GPS to Japan

US Turn Summary
Europe:
Tripoli captured, 1 art destroyed by us inf army
1 MAxis inf div killed near Oran by us inf
1 DD sunk, 2 DD damaged in Rome by planes

Pacific:
Bombed improvements near Tokyo by planes
Forces landed in Hokkaido

China turn summary:
Hankow captured, captured 1 worker nearby.

Dakar captured. (Minor Allies rejoice in their first major ground victory).

Singapore captured. CW Army victorious (and promoted no less).

Rome bombed. Mass Transit system destroyed. 1 ship RL.

Bombed remaining Jap units in Indonesia back down to 1hp. Unsuccessfully attempted to bomb German Tank Army in Damascus.

Turn to Sully.

GPS to Japan

US Turn Summary:
Attacked Sapporo, killed 2 NI, 1 flak, lost 1 us inf div
Bombed Rome with planes

China Turn Summary:
Nothing to report

Moskow
-Citizens Killes, Temple destroyed, unit injured

Narvik
-Russian Militia KIA by Paras

Middle East
-CW Militia and RT destroyed by Tank Army

Med
-CV Yorktown sunk by U Boat. U Boat Sunk. Ju-88 shot down.

GPS to CW

Sully

Palermo captured (and destroyed in the process). Worker outside city captured.

Naples bombed. Lost 1 pop.

Taranto & Rome bombarded, units damaged.

Assorted units and roads in southern Italy bombed. (Studiously avoiding all those flak guns). Rubber tile S of Naples cut.

In a tremendous display of CW airpower, the German Tank army was bombed down to single HP, then a valiant CW Inf Corp stormed up the hill into the face of the remaining German tanks. After a hard combat the German Tank army was destroyed. (Finally!!!)

Uboat sunk SE of US navy position in the Med. Unfortunately for it, my AA CA was on its way back to the front lines from repair and ran smack into it. Unfortunately for me, the AA CA was severely damaged and will now need to go back into dry dock for repair (again).

Palembang captured. Road SW Sarawak cut by bombing.

(BTW Loulong, we didn't you gift Palembang to the Axis? It would have automatically retreated your army back to your capitol, getting it out of harm's way and potentially somewhere it might be useful).

Turn to Sully.

Misfit

Actually it was something I became aware of in another game. Since it wasn't covered under the house rules I assumed it was fair game to utilize. Considering the state of this game...better to beg forgiveness than ask permission....

Sully

Top Bottom