Historical Argument That Was In the Wrong Forum

Oh no - it's the in Civ 6 folder where it belongs. [It's 6 content, can't help if that involves politics in the end - I know the owner and it'll be okay. I shoulda posted in Recreation Commons and gotten some action from it, now that you mention it.] The sourced stuff I added there is more or less what brought me to my current opinion, and I'm curious if it will have effect on you.
This is the Colosseum, and not the Civ6 subforums.

I do not recognize reality in most of that, but the tactic seems familiar.
I will thus finish this discussion by replying to this final point (as I highly doubt much fruitful conversation will emerge beyond it). What I said in my last post above this was reality, regardless of what you, "recognized," and it was not a, "tactic," but a sincere statement. In fact, it seems somewhat disingenuous to be arbitrarily declaring my statements as, "tactics."

This is what I said on the most likely racial appearance and traits of Rameses above (and would also be the most likely for Jesus, unless His Father's "genetics," gave Him very distinctive traits like Hindu avatars - but no credible reference ever mentions such):
Theologically speaking, Jesus doesn’t get any “genetics” or similar from God. He’s not half-human and half-divine, like a sort of demigod version of Mr Spock. He’s wholly human and derives all of his human properties from his mother alone, who is miraculously given the ability to provide them (which is why he isn’t a clone of her). His divinity comes from the fact that his human body and soul are assumed by the divine Son, not from his human body and soul being partly divine (that would be a heretical view).

Theologically speaking, Jesus doesn’t get any “genetics” or similar from God. He’s not half-human and half-divine, like a sort of demigod version of Mr Spock. He’s wholly human and derives all of his human properties from his mother alone, who is miraculously given the ability to provide them (which is why he isn’t a clone of her). His divinity comes from the fact that his human body and soul are assumed by the divine Son, not from his human body and soul being partly divine (that would be a heretical view).
I know this. It was a hypothetical aside that I immediately countered with, "no credible references mentioning such." I was basically saying that, even if the hypothetical point had any plausible chance of being, the point I was countering would almost certainly still be untrue.

Getting back to the out-of-africa failures, guess what, new finds keep being made that prove history was not ever really written on human evolution.

The world is huge, human remains are fragile, and early populations were small. There are many things we still do not know, have not found, and many that were lost to time. But from those already found it is clear that human evolution happened across the whole world accessible to early humans. As was bound to happened because they could walk across it!

How such a basic thing as the capacity of human, and necessarily also early human populations, to migrate was lost on previous researchers, one can only speculate. But at least science can advance a funeral at a time...

Adding to the fun, our older "predecessors" have also left skeletal remains out of Africa. Who could have guessed that monkeys could have lived and evolved also out of Africa huh?

A new fossil ape from an 8.7-million-year-old site in Türkiye is challenging long-accepted ideas of human origins and adding weight to the theory that the ancestors of African apes and humans evolved in Europe before migrating to Africa between nine and seven million years ago.

Analysis of a newly identified ape named Anadoluvius turkae recovered from the Çorakyerler fossil locality near Çankırı with the support of the Ministry of Culture and Tourism in Türkiye, shows Mediterranean fossil apes are diverse and are part of the first known radiation of early hominines—the group that includes African apes (chimpanzees, bonobos and gorillas), humans and their fossil ancestors.
The findings are described in a study published today in Communications Biology co-authored by an international team of researchers led by Professor David Begun at the University of Toronto (U of T) and Professor Ayla Sevim Erol at Ankara University.
"Our findings further suggest that hominines not only evolved in western and central Europe but spent over five million years evolving there and spreading to the eastern Mediterranean before eventually dispersing into Africa, probably as a consequence of changing environments and diminishing forests," said Begun, professor in the Department of Anthropology in the Faculty of Arts & Science at U of T. "The members of this radiation to which Anadoluvius belongs are currently only identified in Europe and Anatolia."

Earlier homo sapiens spread will also in due time be "discovered", as it is equally logic that populations moved. If there aren't yet enough bones in stock in museums it is because they haven't been found yet. Absence of evidence was never proof of theories of absence.

It will be fun though if the reaction overshoots the other way, as the last piece previews:

"These findings contrast with the long-held view that African apes and humans evolved exclusively in Africa. While the remains of early hominines are abundant in Europe and Anatolia, they are completely absent from Africa until the first hominin appeared there about seven million years ago.
"This new evidence supports the hypothesis that hominines originated in Europe and dispersed into Africa along with many other mammals between nine and seven million years ago, though it does not definitively prove it. For that, we need to find more fossils from Europe and Africa between eight and seven million years old to establish a definitive connection between the two groups."

Imo they are wrong in this last speculation. The continents were connected, the environment didn't prevent migrations and the groups of apes evolving to humans must have mingled all along though those millions of years. But it is right to mock the certainties of the "out of Africa" theories purpoting that there was a single "tree" for humans with a single region of origin, and I thing what this gentleman was doing in that last comment was a bit of mocking.

Once again, these articles don’t undermine the “out of Africa” theory at all. The second one is about the origins of African apes millions of years before hominins appeared on the scene: their ancestors evolved in the eastern Mediterranean region before moving to Africa, where later on some of them would evolve into hominins.

The “hominines” of the last paragraph you quote are African apes in general, not to be confused with “hominins”, a much narrower group within African apes. The quotation isn’t referring to human evolution at all but to the much earlier emergence of pre-hominin ancestors.

The first article you link to is entirely consistent with the hypothesis that, over millions of years, multiple Homo species evolved in Africa and then spread out of it in successive waves, with some of them then undergoing subsequent evolution in the places they had moved to. There’s nothing unusual about that - horses did much the same thing in North America.

As we said before, the “out of Africa” hypothesis has become much more complicated than it originally was, but it’s still broadly accepted by most researchers and is supported by a lot of evidence. You keep insisting that the “out of Africa” model is waning in popularity in favour of the multi-regional hypothesis, but the reality is closer to the other way around: the multi-regional hypothesis has, over the last three or four decades, been progressively watered down into a modification of the “out of Africa” hypothesis, as its adherents have recognised that the bulk of human evolution occurred in Africa.

I posted this about some computer modelling of modern and archeological genetic data to reconstruct most probable human evolutionary trees published earlier this year. My quite possibly flawed summary would be a bit more "out of africa"y that some recent models, but very early divergence from the last common ancestor in africa.

Spoiler Legend :
a,b, In the two best-fitting parameterizations of early population structure, continuous migration (a) and multiple mergers (b), models that include ongoing migration between stem populations outperform those in which stem populations are isolated. Most of the recent populations are also connected by continuous, reciprocal migration that is indicated by double-headed arrows (labels matched to migration rates and divergence times in Table 1). These migrations last for the duration of the coexistence of contemporaneous populations with constant migration rates over those intervals. The merger-with-stem-migration model (b, with LL = −101,600) outperformed the continuous-migration model (a, with LL = −115,300). Colours are used to distinguish overlapping branches. The letters a–i represent continuous migration between pairs of populations, as described in Table 1.

Strictly speaking out of Africa means the modern humans evolving in Africa.
What I was happy about are the beginnings of a re-acknowledgment that Africa was not an isolated continent and even the hominids of millions of years ago were widespread across the old world. The belief remains that homo sapiens evolved someplace in Africa and spread form there, wiping out all other hominids that might have started down the evolutionary path to intelligent species. But now there is this interesting question more clearly posed: and did the ancentrors of this homo sapiens move into Africa before? And if they could move in and out so easily, why is the out-of-Africa theory so set in stone?

My main issue with the out-of-Africa theory has always been that it does not make sense. One big wave of migration into tjhe world, and so near in the past? Humans can travel thousands of kilometers on foot in a single generation. How could most of a scientific community reasonably assume they stayed put across thousands of generations, evolving in one and only one region? Even if not in one generation, they had to have moved around. Ecosystem change alone forced that, and climate changed therefore ecosystems changed. Our ancestors were necessarily migrants, if not nomadic.

One big wave of migration into tjhe world, and so near in the past?

This is not what the out-of-Africa theory posits. It is a misunderstanding of DNA evidence. DNA evidence in fact leaves virtually no doubt that human populations alive today are descended from a single wave of migration out of Africa, roughly 50-60,000 years ago. Saying that therefore this was the only migration of hominids or humans out of Africa is a fallacy similar to saying that mitochondrial Eve must have been the only woman on Earth when she lived.

What? DNA, weak as it still remains as a contribution to sorting out this past, shows that human populations are not simply descendants of that migration. Have you missed all the noise about the neanderthal DNA?

Look at an example of the latest revised popular science presentation of the out-of-Africa theory:

More recently, studies of ancient DNA have cast new light on the world of early H. sapiens as it was when other hominin species were still running around. In the late 1990s geneticists began recovering small amounts of DNA from Neandertal and early H. sapiens fossils. Eventually they succeeded in getting entire genomes not only from Neandertals and early H. sapiens but also from Denisovans, who are known from just a few fragmentary fossils from Siberia and Tibet. By comparing these ancient genomes with modern ones, researchers have found evidence that our own species interbred with these other species. People today carry DNA from Neandertals and Denisovans as a result of these long-ago encounters. Other studies have found evidence of interbreeding between H. sapiens and unknown extinct hominins from Africa and Asia for whom we have no fossils but whose distinctive DNA persists.
Mating with other human species may have aided H. sapiens’ success. Studies of organisms ranging from finches to oak trees have shown that hybridization with local species can help colonizing species flourish in novel environments by giving them useful genes. Although scientists have yet to figure out the functions of most of the genes people today carry from extinct hominins, they have pinpointed a few, and the results are intriguing. For instance, Neandertals gave H. sapiens immunity genes that may have helped our species fend off novel pathogens it encountered in Eurasia, and Denisovans contributed a gene that helped people adapt to high altitudes. H. sapiens may be the last hominin standing, but it got a leg up from its extinct cousins.

This is what I called epicycles on the aristotelian theory. They are clinging to the of theory of the late migration of a single new species, even as at the same time they acknowledged interbreeding with species that developed and spread across the whole old world much, much earlier!
Both these things cannot be true at the same time. If both mobility/migration and interbreeding is acknowledged, then a pure species of homo sapiens first emerging then later spreading is impossible. They would have been spreading and merging with other branches of evolution all along! Not just after some arbitrary imagined event that the theory present as the "out of Africa" step of the evolutionary history.
The narrative in this piece in fact specifically acknowledges migrations and interbreeding of populations within Africa. And it also acknowledges interbreeding with populations out of Africa. But it still clings to excluding migration and interbreeding out of Africa until some arbitrary event that would have happened after hundreds of thousands of years of evolution restricted to the Africa continent. This makes no sense. This hybrid confusion of a theory is an example of one-funeral-at-a-time evolution of science. We are still some funerals short of the out-of-Africa theory being dumped for one that truly overturns "the centuries-old notion that races are biologically discrete groups with separate origins." Even if the greater part of the genetic inheritance of modern humans originated from some evolution in one region (which I doubt, I think it is a belief born out of mere lack of archeological evidence still), that portion was just one part of a wider mosaic that makes up the modern humans.

The out-of-Africa theory depended, postulated, that a single branch had wiped out all the others. It was false, and has been shown false. And when the central thesis of a scientific theory is falsified, that sould be admitted. Not disguised with embellishments.

Last edited:
What? DNA, weak as it still remains as a contribution to sorting out this past, shows that human populations are not simply descendants of that migration. Have you missed all the noise about the neanderthal DNA?

But this is kind of what I'm talking about, this is a misrepresentation of what's being advanced by the out-of-Africa theory. There's nothing in the claim that all current human populations descend from a single wave of migration of modern humans out of Africa that precludes the interbreeding with other species of hominids outside Africa. The DNA evidence also shows that this interbreeding happened. But the spatial distribution of modern human genetic diversity makes any other explanation for human dispersal across the world untenable. Africa has by far the most genetically diverse human populations with diversity steadily decreasing as one follows the course of the migration wave, and diversity is least in the areas which, as far as we can tell, were reached last.

Now, you are correct that nazi-adjacent social Darwinists argued that modern humans had exterminated other populations they came across and this was taken much more seriously before the DNA evidence made it also untenable.

We are still some funerals short of the out-of-Africa theory being dumped for one that truly overturns "the centuries-old notion that races are biologically discrete groups with separate origins."

This is a confusion of issues. The out-of-Africa hypothesis could be compatible with "race" depending on the details. But DNA evidence also really disproves the idea that races are biological entities.

This is a confusion of issues. The out-of-Africa hypothesis could be compatible with "race" depending on the details. But DNA evidence also really disproves the idea that races are biological entities.
"Races," really seem like just adaptations or reacted deveopments - to climate zones lived in for long periods at some point between the orginal migrations and more recorded historical epochs, as I understand it.

Both these things cannot be true at the same time. If both mobility/migration and interbreeding is acknowledged, then a pure species of homo sapiens first emerging then later spreading is impossible. They would have been spreading and merging with other branches of evolution all along! Not just after some arbitrary imagined event that the theory present as the "out of Africa" step of the evolutionary history.
I think this model is specifically excluded this more recent study:

Abstract:

Such weakly structured stem models explain patterns of polymorphism that had previously been attributed to contributions from archaic hominins in Africa.

Writeup:

One previously proposed explanation for today’s human diversity is that H. sapiens mixed with other archaic human species that had branched off and become isolated. But Henn and her colleagues found that the weakly structured stem model was the better fit, giving a clearer explanation for the variation seen in humans today.

I will try to read on that model carefully when I have the time. But I will be starting skeptical, models are a dime a dozen with so many people having to produce papers all the time for a living!

I will try to read on that model carefully when I have the time. But I will be starting skeptical, models are a dime a dozen with so many people having to produce papers all the time for a living!
What would you replace models with? Actual evidence is widely scattered.

What would you replace models with? Actual evidence is widely scattered.

I think what is needed in this field is the humility of acknowledging that most of this past is uncharted territory and avoid presenting hypothesis as "true theories" of the past.

And may remain uncharted. It is as with evidence of early civilization. The archeological vestiges are frail. Almost everything that was produced back then is lost already, vanished. Sometimes we get lucky and find bones most undisturbed and undecomposed in sheltered places like caves. Or wood and other perishables in bogs. But how many 100 thousand year bogs do we have in continuous existence in places where early humans evolved? Many portion of the history of early human evolution must be be entirely lost forever.

From my point of view, from what I saw so far, genetic evidence has been more useful for what it disproves than anything it may "prove". That will be speculative because we can not know what was lost, where mixed populations may have existed than then migrated away and left no surviving remains.

The same happens in Mongol Empire.
Akbar call him self emperor of مغول, the same name as Gengis Khan empire in Akbar's language.
Wikipedia: Another name for the empire was Hindustan which was documented in the Ain-i-Akbari, and which has been described as the closest to an official name for the empire. Mughal administrative records also refer to the empire as "Land of Hindustan" (Persian: بِلادِ هِندوستان, romanized: Bilād-i-Hindustān), or "Dominions of Hindustan" (Persian: وِلايَتِ هِندوستان, romanized: Wilāyat-i-Hindustān). The Mughals styled themselves as the "Badshah of Hindustan". In the west, the term "Mughal" was used for the emperor, and by extension, the empire as a whole. The Mughal designation for their own dynasty was Gurkani (Persian: گورکانیان, romanized: Gūrkāniyān, lit. 'sons-in-law'). The use of "Mughal" and "Moghul" derived from the Arabic and Persian corruption of "Mongol", and it emphasised the Mongol origins of the Timurid dynasty. The term gained currency during the 19th century, but remains disputed by Indologists. Similar transliterations had been used to refer to the empire, including "Mogul" and "Moghul". Nevertheless, Babur's ancestors were sharply distinguished from the classical Mongols insofar as they were oriented towards Persian rather than Turco-Mongol culture.

Top Bottom