Historical saves in a sequential pitboss

DaveShack

Inventor
Retired Moderator
To create historical saves in a sequential pitboss, save the game while logged in during your team's turn. The save will default to the "multi" directory, it can be directed elsewhere in the save game dialog.

To view a team save, go through the multiplayer menu and open it either as PBEM or hotseat. It should ask for your team's password. If it asks for another team's password, cancel out, you don't have the right save.

BTW if we had to switch to PBEM for some reason, this procedure could be used to make such a switch. Playing the turn and sending the resulting output turn would change game modes. It should also be possible to switch a PBEM to pitboss by loading the PBEM save in the pitboss window, but I have not tried that.

Thanks for looking into this, DS :)

I've had success translating a game between PBEM and hotseat, back and forth several times. Only once or twice have I encountered a problem, which was easily resolved by re-opening in the save in the original mode, saving a second time, then opening in the target mode.

I had no idea this could also be done with Pitboss :D

Ah, this is indeed good to know. Thank you, DaveShack.

To create historical saves in a sequential pitboss, save the game while logged in during your team's turn. The save will default to the "multi" directory, it can be directed elsewhere in the save game dialog.

To view a team save, go through the multiplayer menu and open it either as PBEM or hotseat. It should ask for your team's password. If it asks for another team's password, cancel out, you don't have the right save.
Hmm, I'm not sure that this works. How do you get this "right save"? From my experience, when loading up a game in Hotseat or PBEM, it will always ask for Player 1's password first. Thus, only the team that is first in the turn order will be able to make historical saves.

Unless you've found some alternative way? :confused:

That is because you usually play simultaneous turns...

That is because you usually play simultaneous turns...
Ah, okay. So in sequential turns, it will load up the player whose turn it was when the game was saved? That's handy then. :)

...when loading up a game in Hotseat or PBEM, it will always ask for Player 1's password first.

This hasn't happened to me. Just be sure to save in the middle of a player's turn, then open the mid-turn save in the new format.

At least, that's how I've transferred games from Hotseat to PBEM.

Just to see if I understood right:
When not in my team turn, I just can see the game from a save done by my turn player,
and not from the actual game itself.
Is it that?
Thanks,

You can always see the current save when it is not your turn, however if you want to see previous saves you can get them that are saved when it is your turn...

So, let's say it is Turn 15, it is Team 3's Turn-to-Play and I am on Team 1. I want to check something on Turn 14.

I can log into the game and
  • see what Team 1 did on Turn 15
  • change something that Team 1 did on Turn 15
  • see what Team 1 did on Turn 14
  • download the save from Turn 15, up through what Team 3 has done
  • download the save from Turn 15, which only has Team 1's portion of the turn
  • download the save from Turn 14, which only has Team 1's portion of the turn
  • download the fully played save from Turn 14
I'm not really confused by this idea but I do want to know what can and cannot be done.

This is asking a lot I know, but is there a pitboss game like ours so that we (those of us out in the field, so to speak) could expirement / learn how to do this?

You can only open a save if you at turn when you download.
A save downloaded when It's another team turn, is for nothing, because you can't open it.
You can log on and see all in the game, but the changes ahaven't consequences.

btw
I haven't played a pitboss til today.

I still don't get why people want sequential turns instead of simultanious with long clock (72 hours for example).

In simultanious you can log in and change/correct things, in sequential you cannot....

So effectivelly you have less time in sequential....even though it seems more.

I still don't get why people want sequential turns instead of simultanious with long clock (72 hours for example).

In simultanious you can log in and change/correct things, in sequential you cannot....

So effectivelly you have less time in sequential....even though it seems more.
I think the most common argument is that it is this "changing/correcting" things that means that simultaneous turns do not necessarily give as much time. If a team at war logs in at the start of a turn, then logs back in later and finds that the situation has changed (e.g. their opponent has adjusted their unit positions), they will need additional time to discuss this changed situation.

Although my personal view is that we could always agree on movement orders during wartime, and outside of wartime this issue doesn't even matter. But it looks very unlikely that anything will change with respect to the sequential turns, unfortunately. ;)

Of course during war teams will have to take turns, but this is only 5 teams...it should not be a problem.

sequential is also very unfair in regards to order of play.

First team will have 24 hours to play will last team 5 days.....not what I call fair

additioannaly last team will have all the info on what the other 4 teams did before they play....a big advantage to team 5

First team will have 24 hours to play will last team 5 days.....not what I call fair
I don't understand what you're saying here. Each team should have 24 hours in sequential play.

additioannaly last team will have all the info on what the other 4 teams did before they play....a big advantage to team 5
This isn't really a problem at all. It is the case in every single PBEM game ever played. Yes, the last team knows what the previous teams did... but then the first team knows what the last team did, and the second knows what the first did, and so on.

I don't understand what you're saying here. Each team should have 24 hours in sequential play.

This isn't really a problem at all. It is the case in every single PBEM game ever played. Yes, the last team knows what the previous teams did... but then the first team knows what the last team did, and the second knows what the first did, and so on.

Let me clarify...
First team will have 24 hours from start of turn to play, while last team will have 5 days from start of turn.

PBEM is far from a good format....there are so many things that the last team to play benefits from...I will name a few:

Military moves...you know where everyone moved and then you make yours..moving second in war is always a plus
Tech...through espionaze you can see what others are teching, thus chose your research
Bulbs...you will see every bulb that happened in this turn, thus adjusting your research
Wonders....you will see what was completed
Slaving...you will see the slaving done

First team has to wait for next turn to see all that...

Sure, but the first turn gets the opportunity to get to these things first so it is weighted out... this really belongs in the other thread on sequential vs simultaneous turns though...

Every multi-player suffers from this, whether it be Monopoly, Risk or Poker.

And yes, this issue has been debated elsewhere for this game and already decided.

This thread is focused on how to get/find/keep earlier saves of the game. In PBEM this is not an issue since the save game is sent to the next team, but with Pitboss this method does not work.

(It must be a Monday because even to me I sound a bit crabby. :eek: Sorry.)

You can always see the current save when it is not your turn, however if you want to see previous saves you can get them that are saved when it is your turn...

Yes this belongs in another thread, but since you mentioned it this is only true about bulbs....wonders and tech that offer something (GP) are random and do not go to the team that plays first.

Top Bottom