Homosexuality - curable or not?

Would you use knowledge that could guide your childrens future sexual preferences

• I'd use the knowledge

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • I would not

Votes: 48 41.0%
  • Not sure/other

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • The thread is evil

Votes: 30 25.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This whole "is being gay a choice" thing is patently absurd.

Try to be gay. Just try to be turned on by a man, if you are a man. Can you do it? If so, you're gay!

If not, then
A: you're not gay and
B: you don't have a choice in the matter, and thus it isn't curable.

Is heterosexuality curable?

Try to be gay. Just try to be turned on by a man, if you are a man. Can you do it? If so, you're gay!

If not, then

im not gay... but there is something about bradpitt..... :rolleyes:

Since homosexuality is genetic, no.
Can you make a black kid from two white people? (no cheating)
Maybe if you play around with genes somehow, but then couldn't other things be dealt with, like down syndrome? If there were a way to know before birth if my kid was going to have down syndrome, and it could be changed, I'd want to do that, since there they would experience problems in life, but if I found out they'd be gay, then I'd have no problem.

Being gay probably makes life harder so I'd prefer my child wasn't gay.

Life is much easier for the sodomites. They're well connected and always pushing their agenda.

I Dont confuse a dog in heat humping a table with normal animal homosexuality.

CivG, you need to back away from this one. I am not confusing anything - animals acting out sexual urges are not expressing homosexuality or heterosexuality. They just want to appease their instinct that drives them and thats it. Labeling an animals act as 'homosexuality' or anything else is what is terribly misleading. Animals dont make those kind of choices like we do.

HA, got you, you just denied that it is a choice!

No, if you read what I said, it precisely means that it is a choice.

Of course I can try to control my urges and make a choice to do so.

:rolleyes:

(I must say, I am not your perfect example, as I am bi and do like women and am in a relationship with one right now, but I take the homosexual point of view as I seem to be the only one in this thread).

Dude, you most certainly make choices...both ways. You precisely prove my point for me.

So, I agree with you that it is a choice, but a social one, not a biological one.

Social issues impact biological choices. /shrug.

If not, then
This whole post is patently absurd. You're trying to argue against gay being a choice by defining being able to make a choice as being gay.

This whole post is patently absurd. You're trying to argue against gay being a choice by defining being able to make a choice as being gay.

ehm, the argument is: as a heterosexual you cannot choose to be homosexual, so as a homosexual you cannot choose to be a heterosexual either.

You misrepresent me.

If you say gay is a choice, and that gays can choose to "un-gay" themselves, then it seems it should work both ways.

So choose to be gay. If you can do it, then you're right, gay is a choice.

If you find that no matter how hard you try you just can't find a man attractive, then you're sexuality is beyond your control and you are ass-wrong.

I heard that sodomy is very curable in Iran. A simple neck-tie party is usually enough.

I wouldn't change it. My kid's my kid, and sexuality is part of who he or she is.

Although there's no serious data on either side, just reasoning a priori I think it makes perfect sense that sexuality is genetic. Heterosexuality is obviously genetic -- if it wasn't, our species wouldn't be particularly successful, would it? It seems like the most basic thing that a sexually-reproducing organism would have encoded. The first few pages of the human genome should read, "Have sex with humans of the opposite sex!" So if that sexuality can be hardwired, why not the opposite? Why couldn't it be flipped around?

I also find it endlessly entertaining that some opponents of homosexuality frame the differences in terms of "resisting urges." "We all have urges," so it goes, "it's just that the homosexuals give in to them." I can't help but think, "Oh really? What urges might those be, sir?"

Cleo

You misrepresent me.

If you say gay is a choice, and that gays can choose to "un-gay" themselves, then it seems it should work both ways.

So choose to be gay. If you can do it, then you're right, gay is a choice.

If you find that no matter how hard you try you just can't find a man attractive, then you're sexuality is beyond your control and you are ass-wrong.
Okay, I'm sorry about misrepresenting you, because when you wrote:

"Try to be gay. [...] Can you do it? If so, you're gay!"

I interpreted "if so" as having the wrong antecedent.

Anyway, I always find these discussions odd, because I find that yes, I can change my sexuality by an act of will. Being gay is a choice. So is being heterosexual. My choice to be heterosexual was largely guided by the culture(s) I grew up in.

If not, then

"you don't have a choice in the matter, and thus it isn't curable."
I don't see the logic in this.
Is heterosexuality curable? Is it? do you want to be cured from it? Several here have argued that homosexuality is something noone would choose, thus it isn't a choice. But my original post asked what if the parent could choose? not to force their children from being gay to straight, but instead letting the child develop into the prefered sexual orientation. I think some animals gender is decided by the warmth during the time in the egg. What if there is some simple mechanism that decides the sexual orientation of an individual and this becomes common knowledge? The person in question will, as you all say, have no choice whether to be gay or straight. Should coincidence or loving parents determine the future for the child?

Top Bottom