• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

How are bararian spawn times in Gathering Storm for you

How are bararian spawn times in Gathering Storm for you

• insane

Votes: 27 21.1%
  • stronger than Rise and Fall but manageable

Votes: 44 34.4%
  • just right

Votes: 35 27.3%
  • I want more barbarians!

Votes: 22 17.2%

• Total voters
Which reminds me. What kinds of maps are you guys playing when describing your barbarian situations?

I played 2 continents maps where barbarians were heavy (though the 1st game eventually filled with cities). My current game is fractal and barbarian spawn seems normal.

On a sad note, fractal still seems to be one gigantic landmass (I wanted to test this to see if they fixed it), it's essentially a weird pangaea. I take that back, I do have one decent sized island.

Which reminds me. What kinds of maps are you guys playing when describing your barbarian situations?

I played 2 continents maps where barbarians were heavy (though the 1st game eventually filled with cities). My current game is fractal and barbarian spawn seems normal.

On a sad note, fractal still seems to be one gigantic landmass (I wanted to test this to see if they fixed it), it's essentially a weird pangaea. I take that back, I do have one decent sized island.

Continents for me, standard size.

Guys, it seems there is a bug which makes some continents don't ever spawn any barbarians and other continents compensating for this :p

I'm not sure where did I read it but somebody posted this either here or on Reddit and so it would seem.

It's independent from multiple continents. It appears on pangea maps, too.

What I've noticed is when a camp is cleared a new camp spawns the very next turn in the nearest fog to the camp that was cleared. At first I thought it was just some games, but it's actually that the barbs are only spawning on a about 1/3 of the map, which is usually one continent on a continents map. Meanwhile the other continent might get one or two camps tops and no new ones spawning because they're all being concentrated on the other continent. On Pangaea they're all on one side of it. So, you can either see very few if any camps or an insane number of them depending on where your starting area is. Thus it'll either seem the same or even less than pre-GS or complete insanity.

Continents, Huge, with only the new civs/leaders (so 8 civs + both elanors for a total of 10) on a 12 size map. I've done 3 games so far, two had INSANE amount of barbarians (i'm talking a camp spawning within 3-5 tiles of my border every other turn) until the industrial era, and the last one had very few but I was on a smallish island

So far, I'd have to agree with 'Wildly Inconsistent' in that Barbs seem to spawn in only certain areas, but keep respawning in those areas as fast as you clear them. That means, though, that once you've identified the Happy Spawning Grounds, you can concentrate your defenses and Barbarian Hunters there and largely ignore other directions.

I can't say I'm unhappy with that, since I am a confirmed Barb Hunter: I always take Initiation Rites, and set up Hunter Teams of Warrior-Archer or Swordsman-Archer. In GS now, I can park one such team a few tiles from where they cleared a Camp and be sure that they will be busy again a couple of turns later. As another Poster put it, the Barbarians are 'donating' Gold and Religion and Golden Ages to my Civ every game!

Barbarian troops don't seem to be any more aggressive, but Barbarian Scouts definitely are. Before, they would usually not attack unless you wiped out their 'home' camp, then they went Suicidal on any nearby Unit. Now, they target your own Scouts or Slingers and charge in. If you are prepared, this actually reduces their effectiveness: I'd estimate almost half the Barbarian Scouts Kamikaze themselves and so never get back to their Camp to spawn more Warriors/Slngers.

Have so far only seen one Barbarian Horseman, but that may be pure chance - not enough repetitions on various maps to confirm if they are really more rare than before. On the other hand, Camps on the coast (so far) have ALL spawned Quadiremes, and one spawned 5 of them before Turn 50, which seems excessive compared to R&F.

Continents, large, king. My homeland consists of multiple continents, and there are no barbarians anywhere.

Very strange indeed. Certainly appears that barbarians spawn rapidly in some areas in the map and hardly at all in others.

Though my fractal map seemed pretty even throughout.

in one started game i had many in another game i had none. i also started 2 games where i didnt see any city states for 100 turns even though i chose 18+ of them

They do seem much more frequent, although I would say it's necessarily "insane." I find they're usually spawning near city states who help me out with the barbs anyway.

Definitely more annoying, but at least Gorgo is happy about their numbers.

They do seem much more frequent, although I would say it's necessarily "insane." I find they're usually spawning near city states who help me out with the barbs anyway.

Definitely more annoying, but at least Gorgo is happy about their numbers.

I've not seen crazy overpowered units like in R&F and I got a fair amount of time to catch barbarian scouts before they got back to their camp. But instant re-spawns are insanity. This can't be intended behaviour.

If nobody would have said anything I probably wouldn't have noticed a difference. First game I played was Online speed on a Huge map, continents. Barbarians spawned rather infrequently in that game but they were there.
Second game I played Marathon speed on a huge map, continents with more civs than the first game. They are definitely spawning more frequently now but it doesn't feel any different to me than pre-GS. Managing them easily with a warrior and an archer. Both games at Prince.

I'm getting no barbarian camps at all. This makes getting a classical era golden age difficult, which in turn makes getting a medieval era dark age (something I always strive for) virtually impossible.

Is it just me, or are Barbarians now psychic? I recently had a camp spawn near a city. It was too much of a PITA to get to, so I just kept using my Archer and Swordsman to kill the Scout when he turned up. Every time, despite killing the Scout on the turn he spotted me (and, therefore, preventing him from getting back to camp), the camp would spawn troops. Eventually, it was spawning so many troups that an Archer and two Swordsmen could only barely manage the spawns (they could not kill fast enough to advance on the camp) --- I would have sent more troops, but that was the maximum number I could fit into the narrow area. I eventually got Boudica, the bonus damage allowed me to reach the camp, and I used her to take out the camp and gain some free troops.

3 Games and Nothing.
Barbs have been a non factor so far in GS for me.
All 3 games Deity, All Standard Settings, Pangaea Maps.
Before GS they were giving me trouble most games spawning all over the place.
It used to feel like I would get horse rushed 1 in 10 games or so in RF.
So far in GS I have seen 4 scouts report back to the barb camp but the camp only makes 1 or 2 units.
If that happened in RF it would keep spawning and take me 10 to 20 turns to kill them and the camp.
Only 3 games so this could just be variance. My next 3 games could be raging.

IMO Barbarians have spawn continents, only some continents can spawn them, others cannot.
An area will spawn a barbarian camp frequently if there isn't one in an out of sight tile.
Some continents have a 0% chance of spawning camps, some have a 50% chance of spawning camps.

Top Bottom