How do I disband a city?

1. Wrong forum! This belongs in the general Civ4 section.

2. Both is not possible.For cities, you can leave them undefended and hope that they are conquered or perhaps you can gift them away.Buildings are only destroyed (partly), if a city is conquered.

For some odd reason they forgot to implement a "abandon city" function, so the only way to do it is with the World Builder. It's rather strange that they haven't included this in any of the patches yet, since if you don't remove cities the whole culture flipping thing is quite pointless (or directly BAD for your civ).

The latest patch allows you to disband a city obtained from flipping, just as you receive it. So no need to cheat with the World Builder. Before the patch, you could always gift the new city, then attack and destroy it.

They didn't forget. The haven't included the option because they'd rather not have it (probably because they feel it's too cruel or ahistorical). Don't expect to see it in any patch either.

Idk they should include the abandon city feature. there's always the possibility of a foreign army coming in and destroying it, even in real life, not just in the game

I think cities should be able to be abandoned. Especially with the high cost of maintenance. I'm interested in the gameplay and not some concept of realism. But in the vain of realism, it is historically realistic to abandon cities. Throughout history Civilizations have abandonend cities for a whole host of differant reasons.

One reason being to deny an approaching enemy valuable resources. The Scottish Wars of Independace (early 1300AD) lead by Robert the Bruce and championed by William Wallace is my favorite example of this tactic. In the face of overwhelming force, the Scotts burned their own cites, destroyed their farms and poisened the water. The huge English armies, unable to resupply were starved. The men were sickened and demoralized, and those great armies became severely handicapped.

There are many many more examples of strategic razing. And there are many many examples of abandonment due to lack of resources or enviromental change. I don't beleive the developers left out this option because it was ahistorical or cruel. I think it was left out because of logistical exploits.

I find it incredibly irritating that you get only one shot to get rid of cities. As it stands now, you are reduced to guessing on whether or not you can affort a city and woe you if you guess wrong!

I'd like to be able to delete buildings. One case: a captured city with a nuclear power plant. I'd rather burn coal if that's the only other choice. :p The darn things melt down far too often.

The problem of the game right now is not a player can't disband a city. As another poster mentioned, the new patch allows us one opportunity to disband it immediately after the city flips or is conquered.

The problem is, the game does not allow us to consult the detailed information of the city before we can make this irreversible decision. For example, one time I conquered a relatively small city, I destroy it, never realized the Pyramid was there (I thought it's in the enemy's capital). If I knew it, I would certainly have kept it since the early-game representation is already worth the increased maintainence.

I think the game designer should allow us to access the city screen before we make the choice. It's simply ridiculous that after you've conquered a city, and you still don't know what the haxk this city has before you are forced to order to kill off a city of a half million population with 5000 year of history.

Top Bottom