How do you change unit and building costs?

Huntinator

Chieftain
I am trying to make units,techs,buildings, and worker actions take less to create so as to make an excelerated game mod. Just like if you were to have a few more game settings after "Quick" to make it really fast paced. Not possible with the WB alone I take it...:D Is this really involved as far as coding XMLs or Python? Alternatively, are there any mods that already do this? Thanx for any help.

This one should suit your purposes. I created it in about half an hour and it works fine for Civ IV, Warlords and Beyond the Sword alike. The calendar is quite screwed up, though, because I didn't take the time to do extensive calculations. But if you don't mind the Statue of Liberty being completed in the High Middle Ages, this one is perfect for you ;)

You'll need WinRAR to extract it. This program is easily available, just google it if you haven't downloaded it yet. If you want to download other content from this site, you will probably need it anyway.
Copy the 'Super Quick Mod' folder into the 'Mods' directory in your Civilization IV folder. If you own Warlords or BTS, open the Warlords/BTS folder first and then the Mods folder inside that directory.
In order to use it, choose 'Advanced -> Load a Mod' in the main menu and pick 'Super Quick Mod'. Start a new game. You'll see the new 'Blitz' game speed. Go check it out.

If you want to fix the calendar, go into (your Civ folder)\Mods\Super Quick Mod\Assets\XML\GameInfo\CIV4GameSpeedInfos.xml and modify the 'MonthIncrement' and 'TurnsPerIncrement' values as you desire. With some thinking, you should be able to figure out how these work.

If you're really interested in modding, you should visit the 'Modding Tutorials & Reference' subforum. It has a lot of useful guides on XML, Python and C++ (for the DLL). XML is quite easy to learn and use, but its uses are limited (not too limited, though; I created this one in XML only). Python can do more specialized things, such as renaming cities on conquest, manipulating more complex random events, and spawning units on certain turns. However, there is still a limit to what you can achieve with Python modding. Certain game mechanics are hardcoded into the DLL, and playing around with those requires you to learn C++. But once you've mastered it, you can almost change Civ into an entirely different game. If you have the time and interest, that is.

Awesome....Thanx Krugi. Been really busy with work so just got to check this post.Sorry so long. This should be just what I was looking for. Thanx again...

Top Bottom