How do you control the "one more turn" urge?

I don't (control it that is). Though I did take several months off the game. But I've been playing a bit lately. I'm finally finishing out the leader pass leaders I haven't played yet. I'm playing Qin unifier. And I have no barbs around. The 1 camp near me the AI civ took out. It's kind of a vanilla civ at this point aside from China's usual bonuses. Yawn. Still though, I do have goals. It's a very goal orientated game compared to rpg's which is the only other genre I heavily play.

The only way that has ever worked for me is to plan ahead how much time you want to spend for your next play session and then set an alarm. Once the alarm goes off, just save and exit. All the remaining tasks in your turn will be waiting for you next time.

Alternatively you can have two alarms: one 15-30 minutes early to remind yourself to start wrapping things up, and a 2nd one to just save and exit.

I played it out and found out that it was repetitive to play the same game again and again when everything is done. I would often play it again until I realized that it got kind of repetitive. A reroll made me open my mind a little particularly in random and get me a totally new civilization and area. I get to learn new ideas and I start implementing new strategies as I start a new game and I prefer it this way because I've gone that one more turn route and I wouldn't gain anything. In civilization 2 for example, I would get stuck in the same place and wouldn't move up a line in one more turn. That doesn't always happen but I guess the only way to stop it is by getting an achievement you're truly proud of, get to the one more turn phase and play it out until you can no more. I realized I couldn't do that because there's many new opportunities with a reroll.

I played it out and found out that it was repetitive to play the same game again and again when everything is done. I would often play it again until I realized that it got kind of repetitive. A reroll made me open my mind a little particularly in random and get me a totally new civilization and area. I get to learn new ideas and I start implementing new strategies as I start a new game and I prefer it this way because I've gone that one more turn route and I wouldn't gain anything. In civilization 2 for example, I would get stuck in the same place and wouldn't move up a line in one more turn. That doesn't always happen but I guess the only way to stop it is by getting an achievement you're truly proud of, get to the one more turn phase and play it out until you can no more. I realized I couldn't do that because there's many new opportunities with a reroll.
I don't think I understand you. You mean rerolling a game with a totally new civilization and map after how many turns played? I usually start a game and play it to the end. And by "one more turn" I mean the well-known addiction to the Civ gameplay.

I don't think I understand you. You mean rerolling a game with a totally new civilization and map after how many turns played? I usually start a game and play it to the end. And by "one more turn" I mean the well-known addiction to the Civ gameplay.
I meant rerollling after victory or defeat. That's usually when the one more turn starts.

I meant rerollling after victory or defeat. That's usually when the one more turn starts.

Some civfanatics are in another whole different plane of existence:egypt: compared to some of us mere civ aficionados:viking:

Top Bottom