How Do You Explain Politics to a 22 YO?

Civgeneral is also "different". It's not ideal to look at someone superficially to determine their status.

Lot of folk here do that. Which is ironic because this is an internet forum and we don't even actually know each other or are able to verify anything about each other (well I can verify @Hygro actually has that mustache altho I still don't know for sure that's the guy posting all his messages :D)
A lot of us are "different". I make no assumptions on that score. But until everybody gets immunity from "dogpiling", nobody does. And in that world, people also have to be able to separate "dogpiling" from "said something stupid and is refusing to back down while continuing to post". And we need a way to steer a thread (as a community, without causing headaches for the modmins) in that kind of scenario. Because the way I see it, there's tons of good-faith efforts to explain things. The problems tend to set in in threads made by the same posters who've made the threads before, asking the same questions they asked before, while being completely ignorant of the answers that were previously provided. I'm not singling any poster out here, it's a behavioural thing.

It doesn't change the fact that anecdotes, while valid for the person making them, aren't evidence of anything greater without corroborating data. And the thing is, on the topics you were originally referencing (which I'm assuming are the LGBTQ threads, and so on), there is corroborating data. And it's been provided, month on month, year on year. How many times do people have to politely repeat themselves before getting frustrated?

It's not like this forum has a massive amount of new posters all the time. We're all mostly the same posters that existed when I joined. The only difference is some have left, and not so much have joined.

Election here in a couple of months. Anyway my cousin is 22 years old and I think she's voting Greens and likes the idea of a flat rate student allowance and student youth leader debates. She's a student wants to be a vet.

But she doesn't really know what terms like liberal, conservative, left, right, progressive, liberal mean or if we refer to the Republicans as GoP.

Oh that's good. Her brain hasn't been poisoned by tribal labels (please don't tell me you've started!)

I speak to people considerably younger than me about politics the same way I speak to anyone else. I try to avoid labelling things in terms of left, right, etc, but if asked about them I'll explain.

Not only does it give people a more accurate picture of the world but also makes for more interesting discussions.

JollyRoger did you turn into one of those billboard accident lawyers?
I would never advertise on a billboard when I can advertise with strategically placed tattoos on some of my service providers.

On topic, when I was 22, there is no way I would have listened to someone as old as I am now on anything, much less politics.

You can't "explain politics" to someone who doesn't care about politics. You may describe the factions/interest groups/parties, the propagandized main goals and the actual goals of the factions. And if you do that you will have done a lot, and will have had to spend quite some time yourself getting to know the local politics. But even so you won't be explaining "politics", just the current situation.

If you truly want to get someone interested in politics, get them interested in history first. IF (big if) they do get interested, and later on their own move to ethics and philosophy. It helps in the meanwhile learning about the politics of smaller institutions than the state. Life experience.
With the current day distractions, the average person may get to know politics in their forties perhaps.

Imo many successful politicians spend their careers without understanding politics. Trump being one known obvious example. It took him years to understand the system he had stepped into. And in countries where the opiliticas system is fraying, I see a lot in Europe but perhaps in NZ it isn't yet, this lack of understand is common.

In re the original question, that depends widely on the 22 year old. My three best friends and I were all very different people at 22, with varying degrees of interest in politics ranging from nothing to single-issue voting.

In re the original question, that depends widely on the 22 year old. My three best friends and I were all very different people at 22, with varying degrees of interest in politics ranging from nothing to single-issue voting.

Well she seems to be into universal student alliwance/more money for students.

AKA more money for middle class kids (well she's not but most are,).

Well she seems to be into universal student alliwance/more money for students.

AKA more money for middle class kids (well she's not but most are,).

In that case I'd work on making her a cynic about politics (using public choice theory, perhaps) with the aim of discouraging her from voting altogether. :lol:

I get feeling most people probably are not middle class, more like what we would class working class.

University here is mostly middle class and up. I've seen 80-90% estimates. Well at least nit the bottom 10%.

How do you explain politics to a 22YO?

"When two people get together and hate each other very much, they do this thing where they join up with others that also hate each other a lot and they yell things at each other and then go vote for people that hate each other the same way they do and pass laws about what they hate."

How do you explain politics to a 22YO?

"When two people get together and hate each other very much, they do this thing where they join up with others that also hate each other a lot and they yell things at each other and then go vote for people that hate each other the same way they do and pass laws about what they hate."

My cousins 24 she didn't really understand how her preferred option lost tge election. She's in one of the most liberal parts of the countries lived in a bubble as all her friends Essentially have the same opinions.

Eg she likes the idea of free student loans. Kinda said student loans aren't free someone else pays for it. Those someone else like things like tax cuts instead.

And outside where we live people have very different opinions. On global scale we're the extreme minority. 8 billion people and very broadly speaking the dominions and a handful of countries in western Europe and Northern Europe see things similar.

What does "free student loan" even mean? Interest-free?

Ww have interest free loans here if you stay in the country.

Probably should have phrased it as no student loan/free tertiary.

My cousins 24 she didn't really understand how her preferred option lost tge election. She's in one of the most liberal parts of the countries lived in a bubble as all her friends Essentially have the same opinions.
I like that this answers how not to explain politics to a 22 (or 24) year old.

Top Bottom