How do you rate the militaristic trait?

weloveciv3

Chieftain
I used to find it a must before conquests but it's not as powerful now with the new limitations on great leaders.

It was a bit to powerful when you went for milking leaders but in the end it depends on your playstyle and map what trait is good and what not.

Militaristic is still very strong if you play very offensive.

Militaristic seems pointless now. Ancient age units are difficult to score a leader and now leaders are much reduced in value. I do not care for leaders as implemented.

Well, I am a warmonger and I view it as one of my top 3. (others being industrious and agricultural) The cheap barracks are really nice early on and the survivability of your units when they upgrade is a great advantage. Throw in an army... yikes. An early army is usually enough to start marching right through enemy territory without much hassle.

I like Militaristic a lot.

Verax

Originally posted by kb2tvl
Militaristic seems pointless now. Ancient age units are difficult to score a leader and now leaders are much reduced in value. I do not care for leaders as implemented.

But Armies have increased in power...

Yup, by a mile. Before I used to think that 3 units seemed better than 3 units in an army but now armies are damn good. Especially with the extra movement point.

Not so powerful when you lose an army of cavalry to one regular rifleman, as happened to me recently.

Originally posted by Admiral_Tarton
I lost an army of marines and 3 more marines to a blasted rifleman! Arrgh.

I lost two armies and 27 artilleries and a dozen of units to culture flip of a newly conquered city!!

Militaristic is less powerful due to the fact that MGL's no longer can rush Wonders - but they are still good for rushing small wonders or FPs.

PLUS: Armies are now much more powerful due to extra movement and attack

PLUS: Do not underestimate that your units gain in ranks much more quickly.

Still, I like the discount on temples and the 1 turn Anarchy of Religious more. Industrious is also an all-time favorite. Agricultural and Scientific are more interesting as traits, too.

But any of them plus Militaristic is still a great combination. Especially if combined with a good UU!

Its okay for me. I rate it about mid level. I usally dont follow an agressive strategy until the industrial modern era, when barracks take 1 - 3 turns to build. I am not saying its bad at all it just doesnt suite my style of play. So it really is just a question of what strategy you use.

I have always rated it very poorly, but, as my warmongering ability has improved, I have started to rate it higher. I now have Barracks in almost every city, so cheap are nice.

I have to agree that Militaristic would be worse now, that's why I wish they had cheaper Colloseums.

Ditto, definitely neutered post-PTW. But on the flipside, it seems easier to build armies if you're lucky enough to get that elusive GL.

Originally posted by Duke Togo
Its third on my list behind Industrious and Religious right now, but then again, I really haven't play Agricultural yet.

ahem.. you may want to try agri. soon, it may change your list order a bit.. ;)

ahem.. you may want to try agri. soon, it may change your list order a bit..

I haven't tried it yet either. I'm dreading the unhappiness in the early game, especially since I just started playing on monarch.

Originally posted by microbe

I lost two armies and 27 artilleries and a dozen of units to culture flip of a newly conquered city!!

Man, that's terrible. I have lost quite some units to culture flipping, but not as much as you mention here. Once I was building up an army in several of my frontier cities. Two of them (which I conquered previously from my enemy) flipped to the enemy a few turns after I DOWed. Lost about 20 cavalry, some artillery and a couple of defending units. I hate that. Units should be returned to capital, or something. Or to the closest border.

Top Bottom