How do you "steal another players land"?

thunderjaw

Chieftain
I've lost a few battles because someone manages to "steal my land" and the unit on it get's destroyed...

how does this happen? how can i do it to someone else, and how can i know when iut's about to happen to me?

I have no idea what factors in to this, any help would be appreciated.

I don't understand what you are asking here. You can't take land owned by another, unless you take the city.

It almost sounds like you are talking about someone just attacking one of your units??

Just to sum it up.

"Steal my land" part:
1. someone takes your city and its territory switches to him
2. culture bomb

Mysteriously destroyed unit part:
1. Artillery from fog of war bombs it and you don't see it (you maybe see melee spotter unit next to it that did not kill it because it would move to its spot otherwise). There is no way to know in advance where the artillery is if you did not scout ahead. You can scout with horses without much danger if on flat ground.
2. If it is in the city when it falls, unit inside dies automatically (it is a game mechanic)

If you want better answers, ask a more precise question :)

Just to sum it up.

"Steal my land" part:
1. someone takes your city and its territory switches to him
2. culture bomb

Mysteriously destroyed unit part:
1. Artillery from fog of war bombs it and you don't see it (you maybe see melee spotter unit next to it that did not kill it because it would move to its spot otherwise). There is no way to know in advance where the artillery is if you did not scout ahead. You can scout with horses without much danger if on flat ground.
2. If it is in the city when it falls, unit inside dies automatically (it is a game mechanic)

If you want better answers, ask a more precise question :)

The reason i put "quotes" on the "steal your land" part, was because that's exactly how the game words it, (except in a past tense). it says, (and i quote) "so and so has "stolen your land"...

i got the precise answer to my very precise question. (looks like it was a culture bomb) .. but thanks for being a jerk about it.

The reason i put "quotes" on the "steal your land" part, was because that's exactly how the game words it, (except in a past tense). it says, (and i quote) "so and so has "stolen your land"...

i got the precise answer to my very precise question. (looks like it was a culture bomb) .. but thanks for being a jerk about it.

Either way, in a culture bomb you should not have lost your unit. If you were at war and they culture bombed you, then likely you were sniped by an archer/siege and the same turn they bombed you since the AI does ALL of its moves at one time.

That actually happens? 200 hours of immortal games and I've never gotten culture bombed.

That actually happens? 200 hours of immortal games and I've never gotten culture bombed.

I've seen an AI culture bomb a city-state to steal off a resource. I didn't take it too well because it was my only source of Incense. :hammer:

I once saw France culture bomb a CS for it's luxury, when he had build the Louvre for 2 Artists.

Yes, it happens. The Louvre gives you two free artists. I almost always just use one for a short Golden Age and then use the other to culture bomb a luxury or strategic resource I need that is either out of reach for a city I have, or controlled by the AI and I want to take it from them. It is extremely effective to culture-bomb an opponent Russia's strategic resources (oil is a good one) because not only do you gain it, but they lose it and their x2 modifier.

Is it possible your unit was just moved to another tile because you didn't have open borders with the culture-bombing civ?

I don't think he was trying to be a jerk, but that was a very weird question. did your borders actually change during that turn? do you have a savegame from before the "land stealing" incident?

I got culture bombed by Monty in an immortal game once; he was after a luxury from a city he lost. What was really provocative about it was that he did it after I'd taken most of his cities and soon after the peace treaty expired. I got a GA soon after and bombed it back. He got all huffy over that so I sent him to exile on St Helena--a 1 tile island.

You steal land by buying it up before their border expands, building a city before their border expands, and culture bombing. If you capture a city you did not steal it - you won it fair and sq.. hex.

If you are going to react this way to a perfectly normal and actually quite extensive answer you are not going to get much questions answered in the future.

If you are going to react this way to a perfectly normal and actually quite extensive answer you are not going to get much questions answered in the future.

that's what she said.

anyway, i still don't know how i lost the unit. it was a human player that did it to me, and we weren't at war at the time. it seems obvious that it was a culture bomb that relieved me of the hex, but i had built a fort, the fort was occupied and on a hill, but my unit was gone when the land was stolen.

i will sum it up to a glitch, unless someone else has a better idea. god knows there's a ton of them (especially in multi-player).

thanks

that's what she said.

anyway, i still don't know how i lost the unit. it was a human player that did it to me, and we weren't at war at the time. it seems obvious that it was a culture bomb that relieved me of the hex, but i had built a fort, the fort was occupied and on a hill, but my unit was gone when the land was stolen.

i will sum it up to a glitch, unless someone else has a better idea. god knows there's a ton of them (especially in multi-player).

thanks

If your unit was in a fort, then it was lost. The same thing happens when a unit is in a city. It may be a bug, but I would say that the unit is probably part of the fort just like it is part of a city. An empty fort can be destroyed by an unfriendly unit, and a culture bomb can destroy both an empty or full one. With that much building material collapsing, I doubt the unit would escape. Maybe there is a 50/50 chance. It is not documented as far as I know.

... i had built a fort, the fort was occupied and on a hill, but my unit was gone when the land was stolen.

Now you remember you built a fort....:crazyeye:
Just to be fair, your first post was very vague, LD was nice enough to give you a list of possibilities...just try to be more specific next time, or get a screenie if possible.
It's all just a misunderstanding, ppl are very helpful here.

Now another use of GArtist...bring a settler and steal a Citadel in mp.

Now you remember you built a fort....:crazyeye:
Just to be fair, your first post was very vague, LD was nice enough to give you a list of possibilities...just try to be more specific next time, or get a screenie if possible.
It's all just a misunderstanding, ppl are very helpful here.

Now another use of GArtist...bring a settler and steal a Citadel in mp.

I always knew it had a fort....

If it helps:

It was a dewy morning when he disappeared. The was a light mist in the air. The unit (a thrice promoted Samurai), had eaten a modest breakfast of locust and honey when the "phenomenon" occurred. He was thinking about his wife back home, she was pregnant you know, this would be their fourth and he was a proud papa. His oldest son "Crispy", had been running a fever for weeks before the Samurai had been called in for active duty. "Fort Duty" they had told him. "A sweet and cushy job". Little did he know, the Samurai from "Fort Vanish" would NEVER - SEE - HIS FAMILY - AGAINNNN!!!!! MAUAHAHAHAAHAA!!!!!

Top Bottom