How does the lead-up differ for you from 4?

nekom

Warlord
For those of you who were anticipating the release of civ 4, is the experience now any different? We're all a bit older now. Since the release of civ 4 I've had a child, gotten divorced (no civ was NOT the cause! lol), attended more funerals than I would have liked to (of course one is too many), and by tomorrow will have gotten married again. a LOT has changed. And yet, in a way, I feel like this is the same experience as awaiting the release of 4. I thought a thread on how the two run ups compare.

What has changed in your life between the release of 4 and now?

Did you pre-order civ 4? I did not, I went to a brick and mortar store on the release date and got my copy. Will you preorder civ 5? I intend to, haven't yet.

Did you have to buy a new computer or upgrade a computer for 4? I had to buy a new computer. Do you think you will have to buy a new computer or upgrade for 5? I will certainly have to buy a new computer for 5 (I need one anyway, so why not)

Were you satisfied with Civ 4? Or were you angry about the changes from 3 initially? Did you experience difficulties with the graphics or performance issues (I recall many did at the time)? I had no major troubles with 4 and was thrilled with it, in fact I still play it to this day. I retired civ 3 when 4 came out, although I might play it again some day for nostalgia. I believe I still have the disc.

Anything else seem similar or different in the anticipation of civ 4 and that of civ 5? I thought this might be a fun idea for a thread, hope it's not out of place here.

Congrats on getting married tomorrow! I wasn't here for IV's release, but I have never been this hyped for a game in my life. Period.

Congrats on getting married tomorrow! I wasn't here for IV's release, but I have never been this hyped for a game in my life. Period.

I don't generally get hyped for the release of ANYTHING, but civ 4 was my first exception. My second is civ 5. I didn't even get hooked on civ until 3, but I never looked back.

Oh by the way if you do go to a brick and mortar store, don't expect any shortages or lines like you might see with the release of a new iphone or whatever, at least if 4 is any bellweather. Most gamers want another rehashed wolfenstein 3D where they can walk around shooting at everything. Civ fans realize that any Civ game makes chess look like tic tac toe. We do not represent the majority of gamers, just the ones with the best taste :)

I don't generally get hyped for the release of ANYTHING, but civ 4 was my first exception. My second is civ 5. I didn't even get hooked on civ until 3, but I never looked back.

Oh by the way if you do go to a brick and mortar store, don't expect any shortages or lines like you might see with the release of a new iphone or whatever, at least if 4 is any bellweather. Most gamers want another rehashed wolfenstein 3D where they can walk around shooting at everything. Civ fans realize that any Civ game makes chess look like tic tac toe. We do not represent the majority of gamers, just the ones with the best taste :)

Not to mention that Civ5's already split the fanbase Civ4 expanded. Early sales will probably be awful, no matter how the game turns out beyond expectations.

I preordered Civ4 because I was a huge Civ3 fan, got really hyped up for it. Thankfully, it was as awesome as I expected, it not moreso.

Not preordering Civ5, though. Day one DLC in the form of pay-for civs, 1upt, the greater focus on the later years (ancient-through-classical is tiny), etc. have all left me with the impression that it'll probably blow.
If it doesn't blow, I'll grab a copy later on.

Well I'll readily admit that I too bought civ 4 because of the name and no other reason. I was not disappointed. I will buy civ 5 based, once again, on the name and the franchise alone. If they hadn't announced it, and it just showed up on the shelf, I would buy it without so much as looking at the cover art. If it sucks (which I doubt) then I might think twice about buying Civ 6.

That's the biggest similarity for me I think. I will blindly purchase this game, based solely on it's name, no matter what ANY review says, no matter what features or civs are or aren't there. It's Civ 4 all over again for me!

Well I'll readily admit that I too bought civ 4 because of the name and no other reason. I was not disappointed. I will buy civ 5 based, once again, on the name and the franchise alone. If they hadn't announced it, and it just showed up on the shelf, I would buy it without so much as looking at the cover art. If it sucks (which I doubt) then I might think twice about buying Civ 6.

That's the biggest similarity for me I think. I will blindly purchase this game, based solely on it's name, no matter what ANY review says, no matter what features or civs are or aren't there. It's Civ 4 all over again for me!

That's how I was for Total War, and I never got disappointed. ...until Empire. :/ That was the streak breaker. Especially sad because Medieval II is still one of the greatest historical strategy games to me (Civ4, M2:TW, and EU3 being my tops.)

Yeah i quit playing total war games when empire came out. Don't even care to try out Napolean Total War.

Though i might give the franchise another chance when Shogun 2 comes out.

I'm scared Civ5 might be another Empire Total War.

Yeah i quit playing total war games when empire came out. Don't even care to try out Napolean Total War.

Though i might give the franchise another chance when Shogun 2 comes out.

I'm scared Civ5 might be another Empire Total War.

You're not alone.
And yea, don't give Napoleon a try. It's far from a real standalone game. It's also -extremely- buggy (but not as buggy as Empire. Then again, Bethesda games aren't even normally as buggy as Empire was.)

Older but same old same old. I'm as excited for Civ 5 now as I was at about the same point for Civ IV, and the waiting is brutal.

I thought Civ IV was (and still is) a great game, vastly superior to III and the others before it. One thing I think Civ has been doing as a series is trying to evolve away from cheese - of players taking advantage of bad game mechanics and bad AI instead of using real strategy. I think Civ 5 is going to push this way harder than even Civ IV.

I'm expecting Civ 5 to blow away Civ IV like Civ IV blew away everything before it.

The one difference this time around is that when Civ IV was about to hit, I hadn't played Civ III in ages and had no desire to play it. I've been playing a lot of Civ IV these past few weeks, playing some FfH, and I guess, in a way, saying good bye to a great game, because I seriously doubt I'll fire up IV once I hav 5.

I'm about as hyped for Civ 5 as I've ever been for a game. The feature list looks like it's taken directly from my wishlist for Civ. It looks to be the best game ever.

I know I could be setting myself up for a big disappointment, but I can't help myself.

@The Almighty dF:
What the #€!! is up with your signature? "Just look at the short techtree." That's about a third of the tech tree. See this. And how do you presume you know anything about how mod-friendly Civ 5 will be?

The last time I was this hyped for a game was anticipating MOO3.

I guess that makes me a prime example of the triumph of hope over experience. ;)

Elrikk.

The last time I was this hyped for a game was anticipating MOO3.

I guess that makes me a prime example of the triumph of hope over experience. ;)

That's my personal quote of the day. ;)

But wait until more experience kicks in. ;) As someone who witnessed debacles like Atari's E.T. cartridge, Sierra's Outpost, or Infogrames/Atari's MoO3 first hand, I consider myself pretty immune to any form of hype by now.

Civ is a franchise which I've always loved, I never had to be hyped to buy its games. I was more driven by a realistic, matter-of-course notion that this company produces the rare kind of deep and complex strategy games that I like. I was never counting the days until the release of the next game, but neither was there a doubt that I'd buy it shortly after it's out.

This would've been the same for Civ5, although currently it seems that I won't be buying it (I'm not sure that my machine meets the hardware specs, and I strongly disagree with any form of DRM that takes control over a purchased product away from the customer). I don't doubt that the game itself would be worth the money though. :)

I wasn't particularly hyped before the release of civ4, neither am i this time. However, the reasons are completely different.

When civ4 was due to come out, i wasn't a huge fan of the series anymore, because i felt a bit letdown by civ3, especially after SMAC/X (but that had gotten old and the AI was broken in any case). I still enjoyed playing both now and then, but only every couple months or so. For that reason, i hadn't read a whole lot about civ4 at the time. I only once marked that it was due to come out in 3 months, and when i thought of it again, it was 6 days before the publishing date. I knew that i would probably buy it in any case (because it is Civ) but only then i read into it a little, and suddenly got VERY interested - because of early reports about the games being much more varied than previous civ games had been. Features like great people and religion sounded cool too.
So, i skipped the waiting part almost completely. Well i was kinda hyped for 3 or so days, because it was civ.

And then i played it. And in a word, ohmygod. The series had come back with a vengeance. It was almost like when i first got civ1 as a kid.

And after 5 years, i'm not done with it either. So i guess this time around i am a civ4 fanboy. It's a good thing that civ5 is apparently an experiment of sorts. If it wasn't, i would probably be like those civ3-lovers back in the day who hated civ4 from the first day. I don't read alot about civ5. But from the few things i DID read, it appears it is so different that i won't have to compare all the time. There appears to be a chance that the games can exist in parallel, something that has never happened for me with civ1-4. if it's good anyways. Just wish i didn't have to install Steam. But even though Steam burned me before (bloody didn't accept my halflife1-key from a value box, i even scanned in the receipt and sent it in, but nothing ever happened), and even though there is a good chance that i will stay with civ4, i am probably getting it on release. because it is Civ. Maybe i will even be hyped for 3 days :D.

Ive been anticipating CiV since I heard it came out. But back then I didnt have an account so I couldnt get as hyped as I am now, which really is a double edged sword. The only time Ive ever been this excited about a game was either when Mercenaries 2 came out, which I was pissed about cause they ended up pushing the release date back about a year from the original date :sad: Or it was for Napoleon: Total War. I dont know why you all hate Empire and Napoleon TW, I love them both. Although I like Empire more. Im just really excited because now, in CiV I can be different than I was in CIV. I can be a builder (my favorite way to win) AND I can be a warmonger. This time with 1upt I can play with strategy instead of having to go to world builder and deleting Monetzuma's SoD two tiles from my capital. This game gives me hope. And even though I have a lower intel graphics card, it runs Napoleon: Total War (which is graphically higher than CiV) fine in low graphics so Im pretty sure I can run CiV.

I am a lot hyped for CiV that I can't play civ4 now. Thank god I recieved my copy of Victoria II today.:D

I was totally hyped for CIV IV; but like three weeks before release my PC died and I was thus unable to get it. By the time I got around to building my new machine, I was able to buy CIV IV Gold Edition (CIV IV + Warlords), and BTS came out like three months later!
Thanks to foresight, I am in a position now where I have a machine that will run 5 very well, and will be at the midnight release for this bad boy. (The only other Midnight Release I ever attended was for FFXIII, and what a disappointment that turned out to be).
As far as changes in RL since then, marriage and a kitty cat.

Congrats on the marriage.
I was excited about civ4, also i didnt need to upgrade my system. I was excited about Civ5, but the more i learn about some things and less i learn about others, have made me not excited. Also, if i was going to be buying Civ5, i wouldnt need to upgrade my system.

Enjoy your honeymoon =)

and by tomorrow will have gotten married again. a LOT has changed.

You're getting RE-MARRIED on the eve of the release of CiV??? Have you LOST YOUR MIND, MAN??? :deal: :run:

I was an avid Civ's II & III guy, having been introduced to Civ I shortlly before the release of II. I was married (also since divorced... only SLIGHTLY Civ-related) and had just welcomed my second child to the world before cIV's release, so I had too much on my plate to even REALIZE it was coming!!! (BLASPHEMY!)

Flash Forward to present-day, and I am eagerly awaiting the release of ciV. I am buying a new HP Envy 17 to take advantage of ciV's DX11 goodies and quad-core optimization (and because I just moved in with my GF, and there's no room for my desktop :cry:) - I am also prepared in that I am more responsible now: I have had the full-disclosure discussion with my GF about what to expect when I'm expecting (ciV, that is... ha!), and I have taken time off at work AHEAD OF TIME during release week (no random calling in sick).

In short, if it's not totally rule-y, I will be sad, but I am so much more prepared this time around just in case I need one... more... turn!!!!

I signed up for this forum because I was so excited for the MP expansion Play The World.

Still as excited for Civ5 as I was for that Civ3 game lol

For those of you who were anticipating the release of civ 4, is the experience now any different? We're all a bit older now. Since the release of civ 4 I've had a child, gotten divorced (no civ was NOT the cause! lol), attended more funerals than I would have liked to (of course one is too many), and by tomorrow will have gotten married again. a LOT has changed. And yet, in a way, I feel like this is the same experience as awaiting the release of 4. I thought a thread on how the two run ups compare.

Marriage and Civ 5 in the same year... You sir are a brave man.

Maybe some of the more experienced gents can let me in on a secret: how do you tactfully neglect a girl for a game?

Top Bottom