How hard can it be to make one unit stackable?!

maggotman

And Then Bender Ran.
Hello All

I find by the later era's that a guy can have 20 workers spread out all over the place. Has someone found out how to make only one type of unit stackable?

I appreciate the Legion mod, but I really like the idea of 1 unit per tile - it changes the game completely from a strategy standpoint.

What would be even better would be to stack your units when they are asleep - an active unit cannot be stacked.

Anyway, playing with the XML is fun - haven't found out how to stack workers yet. Any advice out there?

I'd suggest downloading the legion mod and looking at what they changed. It seems very possible to make it so that your code only uses the legion stacking if it's a specific unit.

I'll give this a try. I wonder what would happen if this tag was taken out and added to the Unit paramaters instead (like the Worker parameters).

I'll play with it this weekend. I imagine you would have to add the tag to every unit though.

There has to be something more than this one action - what do other units do? (units that can occupy the same tile as another unit?)

Don't Generals have the ability to occupy the same space as another unit?

Ok, so what makes Generals so special that they can occupy other spaces when the 1 UPT is in effect?

Generals may be a poor example. I've only put in about 20 gameplay hours, so there may be other units out there that I haven't found yet.

Ok! So maybe the hunt is on for what determines how many civilians can be placed in one civilian slot.

Units with 0 strength are non-combat units and need defending, hence you can have one of those + one normal unit in one hex. Exceptions being naval units, only one unit of any kind can inhabit a single hex. Also air units, the max is defined in the game files by max space for air units per city & how much space each air unit takes.

The same piece of code determines the max for all 3 unit types (civilian land, military land & naval).

So one way to cheat the system would be to re-catagorize a worker as an air unit. I wonder how THAT would affect with the game.

Give it the ability to rebase to other cities :lol: Then again, the Rebase-range is normal range*2 or 3, so if the range is 0 the rebase range is 0 as well...

Also, all air units have the immobile-tag at true, so I guess air units can move normally as well. And if you don't touch the AI tags, the AI should know it's still a worker. Worth a try I guess.

Also, stacking workers has no effect in CiV; they can´t hurry improvements by doubling, tripling or quadrupling up - that´s the reason you never seem them stacked (apart from the tile limit, obviously).

So I guess the better strategy is to just disband the extra's and keep a skeleton crew. Not that there is much to do after oil and railroad is discovered anyway.

Also, stacking workers has no effect in CiV; they can´t hurry improvements by doubling, tripling or quadrupling up - that´s the reason you never seem them stacked (apart from the tile limit, obviously).

if they could stack though, workers (and settlers) would have more freedom of movement. i've seen it often enough with the AI not moving a settler, apparently because of workers on tiles. sure enough once the workers were done, the settler went on its way

but this costs the AI a lot of lost turns without an extra city, big loss in the early stages of a game

This is a huge point. It would seem that if only military units were 1UPT, that would solve this AI issue as well. The whole point of 1UPT was for strategy and to remove the stack of doom. Having non military units share tile space makes sense, even if it's simply for unit travel.

Top Bottom