How is it on the new MacBook Air?

I know it just released today, but was wondering if anyone has got to play Civ VI on their new Air? How is the performance? And do you have the 7 or 8 core?

Mine showed up yesterday (2 days before the stated delivery date) and I did run the benchmark option but need to compare to my other rigs (iMac, MBP) for comparison. Should have some initial results to share later today, then try a full game.

So far, everything is looking fine.

Haven't had time to start a game yet but here are my initial graphic benchmark times from all my Macs:

iMac 2020 (32GB RAM, 3.8GHz i7, AMD Radeon Pro 5700)
Avg Frame Time: 12.771ms
99th Percentile: 17.850ms

MacBook Pro 2020 (16GB RAM, 2.6GHz i7, AMD Radeon Pro 5300M)
Avg Frame Time: 10.702ms
99th Percentile: 13.846ms

MacBook Air 2020 (16GB RAM, M1)
Avg Frame Time: 12.901ms
99th Percentile: 17.014ms

Looks like the new M1 chips matches the i7 in the iMac with the MBP coming out ahead. Or do I have that backwards?

Will do more as time allows.

I know it just released today, but was wondering if anyone has got to play Civ VI on their new Air? How is the performance? And do you have the 7 or 8 core?

I believe you get the 7 core GPU with the 8GB version and all 8 cores with 16GB RAM.

Still early in the manufacturing process so some dead cores are likely (IE, failed testing). From my understanding Apple simply chose to use them in the very lower end model instead of throwing them away. The overall difference between the two should be practically nil to the average user.

What settings are you running? And is that base game or Gathering Storm?
Running Gathering Storm and selecting Benchmark > Graphics.

Under Game Options > Graphics pretty much everything is disabled but High Resolution Asset Textures (love the Civ 5 graphic mod) and MSAA 2x. Running game at 1440x900 resolution on MBA.

Haven't had time to start a game yet..
Had some time to play today, so I started a new game with Hammurabi in battery mode and spent a couple of hours playing. After about 2 hours I was on turn 112 and had used about 40% of the battery in that time. Game ran smooth with no graphic glitches and at a reasonable speed IMHO, and no worse than on my MBP.

Except for the small display (1440x900) its eminently playable.

I'm glad to hear it runs fine.
I will be getting one before Christmas and hope it will run smoothly.

MacBook Pro M1, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD

Benq PD2720U 4k monitor via Thunderbolt @ 2560 x 1440

I've been playing a new Babylon game on medium settings with 2xAA

Totally smooth and playable so far. Memory pressure dips in and out of the yellow.

I'm selling my 2017 iMac. I don't need it anymore.

However, I will buy a Mac Mini Pro, or a Mac Pro Mini as soon as one is available.

Running Gathering Storm and selecting Benchmark > Graphics.

Under Game Options > Graphics pretty much everything is disabled but High Resolution Asset Textures (love the Civ 5 graphic mod) and MSAA 2x. Running game at 1440x900 resolution on MBA.

Do you have a link for this Civ 5 graphic mod? I waay preferred the graphics in 5 and would love a mod that emulates that. I’m clueless about mods though. Scrolled through 3-4 forum pages looking and didn’t find it.

Top Bottom