How is this not a national park location?

taulph88

Warlord
I'm using a mod that shows potential sites for a national park and this one (circled in red) is one of them. Am I missing something? How is this not a park site?

Attachments

• national park_location.png
    national park_location.png
    5 MB · Views: 2,334
Most likely the tiles are owned by different cities. Go into the city view and swap the tiles so they are all owned by one of the cities.

National Parks can be built on a cluster of any four contiguous hexes that meet the following requirements:
  • The tiles must be natural wonders, Mountains, or a tile with an Appeal of Charming or better.
  • All four of the tiles must be owned by the same city.
  • The tiles must form a (vertical) diamond shape (not a slanted diamond).
  • No tile can have an Improvement or District on it.

so from your screenshot it's obvious you have the latter two requirements. check the first two is my suggestion.

Yup, check to see that Melbourne has control of all those tiles. That's the first thing to always look for.

I have an add-on related question. Can 1 city have 2 National Parks? My France game is finished, so it's a moot point, but I'm still curious. I ask because some national park names come from the name of the city, so can that city have two? Although in my last game, the national park name came from the natural wonder (Yosemite).

Last edited:
Yup, check to see that Melbourne has control of all those tiles. That's the first thing to always look for.

I have an add-on related question. Can 1 city have 2 National Parks? My France game is finished, so it's a moot point, but I'm still curious. I ask because some national park names come from the name of the city, so can that city have two? Although in my last game, the national park name came from the natural wonder (Yosemite).
In short, yes. There is no limit to the number of national parks a city can have (other than the normal limit from the # of tiles).
You can have multiple parks with the same name, but if at least one tile of the park is a NW, then the name of the NW will be used instead of the city name.

...National parks have names? Whoa

My first thought was that there is a road running through the top tile, but nobody has mentioned that yet. I thought roads were considered "improvements" and would negate a National Park spot.

roads are okay I believe. Besides it's not like you can remove them with a builder.

yep, roads should not interfere with national parks. remember, there are highways in real life yosemite national park, too. and i think that roads don't count as improvement since they don't improve the output of the tile when worked. not anymore at least (oh the olden days, i think it was civ3 when roads gave +1 gold...)

National parks are something they really need to clean up. Only a specific organization of hexes. Must all be in one city. Only bought with faith for some reason.

Would be a good chance to make desert and glacial cities more attractive. There are plenty of national parks that are all ice mountains and desert.

Well you can build NP's in desert, but it helps to have Eiffal Tower. See my picture in Peaceful Games are Difficult (on page 5) if you want to see a picture of a NP in the desert. You generally need one mountain to get some breathtaking or charming.

edit: Ha! After looking at that picture I realize I answered my own question above. I had forgotten I had built 2 National Parks in Las Vegas. Hey, it's my home town, I often build a Las Vegas in my games if I can get to the close geographical location.

Well you can build NP's in desert, but it helps to have Eiffal Tower. See my picture in Peaceful Games are Difficult (on page 5) if you want to see a picture of a NP in the desert. You generally need one mountain to get some breathtaking or charming.

edit: Ha! After looking at that picture I realize I answered my own question above. I had forgotten I had built 2 National Parks in Las Vegas. Hey, it's my home town, I often build a Las Vegas in my games if I can get to the close geographical location.

Here: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/peaceful-games-are-difficult.619468/

naturalists being able to walk on mountains would be nice, as this would let us build parks on top of mountain clusters without sacrificing workable tiles
from the description it is very unclear that it doesn't work like this already

The only condition you may not meet is that all tiles be owned by the same city. So go into the city management screen and either give them all to Canberra or give them all to Melbourne.

A simple QOL change for the "all cities must belong to the same city" wrinkle is to make it so that, whatever city owns the tile the Naturalist is standing in when the National Park gets created, gains control of all 4 tiles. It would cut down on some of the annoying micromanagement and frustration.

A simple QOL change for the "all cities must belong to the same city" wrinkle is to make it so that, whatever city owns the tile the Naturalist is standing in when the National Park gets created, gains control of all 4 tiles. It would cut down on some of the annoying micromanagement and frustration.
Yes, most frustrating part is when you have situation where you are cut off from making a national park in an otherwise perfectly suitable location because you can't swap ownership of some tiles because they are outside third circle or adjacent to another city. Bloody moronish.

Yes, most frustrating part is when you have situation where you are cut off from making a national park in an otherwise perfectly suitable location because you can't swap ownership of some tiles because they are outside third circle or adjacent to another city. Bloody moronish.

My last game I build a new city next to a bunch of mountains just so it could steal the tiles and I could get down the NP. Would love to see a change to it so that it could be any number of tiles, but you gained an increasing benefit for how big it is. Why can't I have a 2-tile national park if that fits in my land, or a 12 tile one covering an entire mountain range?

Thanks for all the help, guys! I indeed had to change ownership of some tiles to Melbourne. I misread the last requirement to mean civ and not city.

shaglio said:

Yeah I hate all the micromanagement that comes into this.

Top Bottom