How many languages do you know?

English,French. English, fluently, French, almost fluently, read, writing. But not always speaking, because there will always be that one word Ive forgotten. And I know a bit of portuguese (at least I could recognize, know how to pronouce it, and might get the gist of it).

Dutch, German, English and Portuguese fluently... then Spanish pretty ok and some marginal French. First three are definetly standard for any Dutch person.

I only know English. I'm in a Spanish class but I know very, very little. ;)

French is hard to learn, that's why English is more spread out. Only the smartest can speak French, the dumb ones speak English.

And people wonder why the French are percieved as arrogant. :lol:

English is my native tongue. I can get by with my Spanish. A friend and I can have full conversations in a language (called Anadortoli) we made up as kids. Arabic is next on my list. I'm also majoring in linguistics.

Swedish; being a native. Nice bonus in understanding Norwegian and Danish as well (well, most of the time).

English

French; wavering between fully functional, and getting by, depending on context. (I can discuss research in a seminar situation, but when getting a haircut, I'm pretty much lost at sea.)

German; read it without much effort, makes myself understood.

Italian; enough to read the newspaper and engage is simpler communication.

Latin; enough to handle a bunch of epigraphs and simpler sentences.

Has been known to dabble in Spanish, at least for reading purposes.

A smattering of Japanese, left overs from a year of study. Decent grasp of the grammar and knows how to use a English-Japenese lexicon, and a Kanji one. Can get the meaning out of short, not overly coplicated texts, a bit like decrypting a cypher.

Hoping to have a crack at Russian, eventually, to try to unlock the vast
continent of the Slavic languages. No time for it, so far.:)

I'd like to learn French, merely because when you argue in french you sound much angrier than arguing in other languages.

Are, meh to Urdu and English boltahoa!!!

(Hey, I speak Urdu and English!!!)

I speak English quite fluently. Midwestern accent = no accent! Gogo Chinese immigrant.

The place where I fail my parents is my Chinese. I can speak it acceptably enough to get around in everyday situations (or am I just deluding myself?) My reading and writing are absolutely atrocious!

I'm taking French in high school, so that barely counts. :p

I only really speak english, but I did study japanese at school for a couple of years, so I imagine I'd be able to understand at least a little if someone spoke slowly to me...

Also, I've picked up a little french, german and swiss german over the last few months. Not enough to be really useful, but I can ask for stuff in shops etc.

My gf by contrast speaks 5 fluently, and can get by in a couple more. Makes me feel slightly ******ed, tbh... :sad:

4: English, Tagalog, plus 2 dialects of Chinese - Mandarin and Hokkien.

French is hard to learn, that's why English is more spread out. Only the smartest can speak French, the dumb ones speak English.
Not true, English is supposed to be one of the most irrational, rule contradicting, impractical languages out there. Besides, if it was based on ease of learning, we'd all be speaking German.
*First time an American has finished a sentence with "we'd all be speaking German" without causing a cultural confrontation*

Not true, English is supposed to be one of the most irrational, rule contradicting, impractical languages out there. Besides, if it was based on ease of learning, we'd all be speaking German.
*First time an American has finished a sentence with "we'd all be speaking German" without causing a cultural confrontation*
If we were going for languages easy to learn, as in grammatically regular and consitently put together, the entire family of Indo-european languages goes down the drain. They're all surprisingly inconsistent, full of exceptions, large patches of stuff obeying no rule that just have to be learnt.:)

Top Bottom