How to add unit in C3C epic game. Mini HOWTO.

Crist2000

Warlord
At last! Now I enjoy new unit. Some hints HOWTO do that.

First of all, unlike to original Civ3, C3C is quite sensitive to content of files such as: PediaIcons.txt and Civilopedia.txt. So keep it in mind when adding a unit. Now step by step HOWTO>

1. Remove Read-only attribute from Conquests.biq.
2. Start editor and add new unit. NB!!! Dont forget to assign the appropriate PRTO value. You will need it later. Example>

Mounted Archer and PRTO_Mounted_Archer

3. Create a new subfolder under ..\conquests\art\units. Folder name have to be the same as new unit name. In our case>
Mounted Archer

4. Fill this new folder with flicks and wavs. .INI file name must be the same as new unit name> Mounted Archer.INI NB!!!! .INI file now is sensitive to sound files assignment. If C3C finds mismatch game quits.
5. Now open C3C's PediaIcons.txt and find PRTO_ section for units and add at any place you like these lines>

#ANIMENAME_PRTO_Mounted _Archer
Mounted Archer

6. Civilopedia. You have to modify it. Otherwise game quits with "...ANIMENAME_ ..." error when game encounters your new unit. At this point you may choose to go easy or right way>
a. Easy way. For experienced players who feels that there is no need in Civilopedia. Just rename Civilopedia.txt to something else. Personally I used this choise. :)
b. Right way. For modders and such. You have to fill it with appropriate content. Find HOWTO in this forum.

And main things is: You have to start new game in order to changes take an effect.

Originally posted by Crist2000

6. Civilopedia. You have to modify it.

I'm quite sure you do not have to add an entry to the Civilopedia. Actually, I know you don't have to. In game, when a player opens the Civilopedia for that unit, it'll merely show the unit stats/requirements at the bottom. The text will be blank. The unit will work nonetheless. :)

--CK

That is good. Seems that it was just coincidence that my unit started to work after renaming civilopedia.txt.

Now I know the real reason. It was a "space" character at the end of PRTO value :).

I am new to this, so perhaps you could help me out here. I have tried following your steps exactly as they are written out, but I cannot get the thing to work. My problem appears to be in step # 4. I downloaded the German Infantry from somewhere on this forum, but there does not appear to be a .ini file. It has all sorts of movie and sound files, but no .ini file. Any idea how to resolve this? Also, does anyone know where to get an Icon for this unit?

charlesolmsted,

Not a problem.

1. Just take any unit .ini file and copy it to the folder where your unit files are located.
2. Open it. You see two sections> for animation and for sound. They are allready filled with some flick and sound filenames. Replace them with your flicks&wavs filenames.

That is all.

Thanks for the reply, I finally figured it out. Turns out I had thoughtlessly renamed the unit "German Infantry" when it was really called "German Rifleman". Since then I have added tons of new units and am much happier.

Hey guys, listen up, this is IMPORTANT. I know Col. Kraken disagrees but if you are playing with conquests you MUST not only include PRTO_unit_name in pediaIcons but PRTO_unit_name in the text/civilopedia file as well, AND in the editor when you are configuring the unit, you must write PRTO_unit_name in the civilopedia field. I spent all day fighting with my computer to discover this, trust me

noto said:
Hey guys, listen up, this is IMPORTANT. I know Col. Kraken disagrees but if you are playing with conquests you MUST not only include PRTO_unit_name in pediaIcons but PRTO_unit_name in the text/civilopedia file as well, AND in the editor when you are configuring the unit, you must write PRTO_unit_name in the civilopedia field. I spent all day fighting with my computer to discover this, trust me

Noto is correct.

when adding a unit:

open your civ editor
civilopedia.txt
pediaicons.txt

1) be sure your unit's .ini file name matches the folder name the .ini is in.
ie the folder name is newunitfolder, the .ini file inside, which specifies which animations and sound the unit will use, must be newunitfolder.ini

2) in the game editor, under civilopedia entry, put PRTO_newunit (avoid spaces if possible, not necessary, but can help avoid problems)

3) in civilopedia.txt, you need at least an entry that reads, #PRTO_newunit
ie
#PRTO_newunit
^this is the new unit's description.

4) in pediaicons.txt, you need 2 entries:
a. for the civilopedia icon, you need to have #ICON_PRTO_newunit, and have a pathname to a large, and then small icon
ie
#ICON_PRTO_newunit
art\civilopedia\units\newunit_large.pcx
art\civilopedia\units\newunit_small.pcx

b. down closer to the bottom, is the #ANIMNAME_PRTO_newunit
the newunit must match the name specified in the game editor under civilopedia entry. Underneath must be the name of the folder in which the animations are located.
ie
#ANIMNAME_PRTO_newunit
newunitfolder

Some other tips: try and make sure everything is case sensitive, try and keep your entries alphabetized, and try and keep them all named the same thing.

Trust me, it is not essential, but the little extra bit of effort saves time in the long run.

Neomega said:
3) in civilopedia.txt, you need at least an entry that reads, #PRTO_newunit
ie
#PRTO_newunit
^this is the new unit's description.

That's strange. I've never had to do this with my C3C mod. :confused: My units work great! Maybe I have a special edition. ;) Of course, all the other stuff you mention you must do!

Colonel Kraken said:
That's strange. I've never had to do this with my C3C mod. :confused: My units work great! Maybe I have a special edition. ;) Of course, all the other stuff you mention you must do!

Well, when I add a new unit, and do not put a civilopedia text, as soon as I try to access the civilopedia entry, in the alphabetical region, I get a crash.

Hey guys i wasnt sure where else to put this but im having trouble with adding my navel units. ive done it before and it worked fine. now when i add them to my game. it crashes when its built. i dosnt tell me there was a file missing. it just crashes and tells me there was an error with the game.

i know there isnt anything wrong with my unit folder because i replaced it with a galled folder and renamed it to suit and i copied the exact stats as the galley in the civ3QEdit but it still crashed.

Hi phoenician00,

Check your pediaicons.txt for missing or incorrect entries. Some items you want to check on are the #ICON_PRTO_Naval_Unit_Name for spelling mistakes or simply a missing entry. Make sure the path pointing to the large and small pcx's are correct.

i.e. art\civilopedia\icons\units\naval_unit_name_large.pcx

Also make sure that for every #ICON_PRTO_ you have an corresponding #ANIMNAME_PRTO_ and that the .ini filename matches the folder that the #ANIMNAME_PRTO_ is called.

i was having some trouble on no.5 and i can't find the pediaicons.txt or civilopedia.txt

*gamefolder*\Conquests\text

assuming you are playing a scenario , you will have it in your Scenarios folder inside Conquest . The scenario would have a folder of its own name if it has changes in styles or units . Get into that folder you will probably have two folders , one named Text , the other named Art . Lot's of words ı know , but now get into Art , find the one named Units . ( Be aware that there is probably one other folder named the same in Civilopedia folder ) . Get into any single folder inside units , where each folder should be at least 300 or 400 KB and you will see one file having the same name with the folder . If you were looking at a folder named Turkish Spearman , the file inside would be exactly named as the Turkish Spearman . It decides which visuals the unit will use in the game .

In fact you don't need to be in the Scenario folder. Any unit you have downoladed contains a .ini file. Any original unit from Firaxis has got one too. It has the same name and is located in the unit's folder, just right beside the flc files. If you want to be sure, check in the Folder Options that the box "show file extension" is selected.

My PediaIcons and Civilopedia refuse to be saved after I change them.
It says, Cannot create ... file. Please make sure the path and filename are correct.
Any ideas?

am an XP user . As such ı know so little about newer versions , but do you have game in C:// where the you are supposedly not allowed to make a change ?

Top Bottom