How to Add/Use These New Units

Lots of newbie posters have posted threads in this forum asking the same question: 'How to add these units to the game". It's getting quiet tedious to move them to the main creation forum all the time. I hope this sticky thread would reduce the number of those threads.

Can someone post a detailed "HOW TO" post below? Thanks in advance. :)

I read the info pages but I still don't get how to put in the units. Can somebody write a version that explains it simply?

I followed the instructions above but it didn't work at all. Can somebody just write it simply so we can understand? It would be appreciated.

Hi,
I'm new and I'd like some instrucyions that a 2nd grader could understand. I know it must sound stupid but i'm no computer genius. If somebody could please explain to me how you do it. I don't care if it'll be longer just easy step by step.

The most detailed explanation is this tutorial that is linked to at the start of this thread. It ought to be fairly straightforward, but unfortunately Firaxis didn't see fit to make adding units a one-step simple process, so there's no getting around the complexity of it - although with practice you find it becomes pretty simple. If there's something about the instructions you don't understand or which doesn't seem to work then ask for specific help with that step, and you're more likely to get a useful response than if you say you don't understand any of it.

Hey people, I have a problem, I used an instruction that was in the downloaded unit, but it didn´t help me. I did all, I put the icon to the 32 file, pasted the text (animname, icon etc.) to the needed text files. Made a scenario with civilopedia entry. When ingame, I can see the icon in the production board, but when I click it, it´s says: Missing entry - Text/PediaIcons - #ANIMNAME_PRTO_Metal_Gear_Ray. Please HELP!!!

OK, Thank you. I fixed it and noticed that I really did misspell it. But after that it gives me another error. It says that it can´t find Metal Gear Ray.INI file. What is this INI file? When I downloaded it, I didn´t see any INI file there. Even when I looked to the original units folders there wasn´t anything with .INI ending... HELP?

OK, even though I know what it is now, I still can´t solve the problem. I created a folder in Conquests/Art/Units/ called Metal Gear Ray, and copied all the needed files to it. What problem does it make? Oh and can the INI file be named with spaces or only with _ things...?

The .ini can have spaces. It needs to be spelt EXACTLY like the folder it is inside :) (although, as you can see from the screenshot, it doesn't have to be the same case...)

OK. I solved the problem with .INI file, but it gives me another problem again. This time it is a problem with .wav files. It says that it can´t find those files and I don´t know what to do this time for real... HELP? AGAIN?!

It sounds like a sound file is spelt wrong in your .ini file. Open it up, and try to find out where this error is coming from, by checking the spelling of all the files compared to the .ini entries... It is a little tedious :(

I have been experimenting with installation of new units that I downloaded from the gallery here. I followed the tutorial closely and had no problems getting them to work on my computer. However, when I sent the completed Mod file to the other players I play with regularly, none of the units worked. I'm guess that their computers were not referencing the mod file and a PediaIcons error resulted. After this happened, whatever unit that caused the multiplayer crash, would no longer work on my home computer vs comp either. So what is necessary to make this happen? Do I need to create an installer that will install these units into the core c3c files? Any help on this would be great.

If you send them all the relevant files, and they put them in the same locations, and you're all using the same version of Civ III, there shouldn't be any problems. It might help to download one of the mods or scenarios on this site and have a look at the file structure. You should be sending your friends something similar.

Top Bottom