How to bypass the stupid launcher

1. In your Steam library list, right-click on Civilization 6
2. From the pull down menu, select Properties
3. About the middle of the opened properties window, click on Set Launch Options...
4. Insert the following line as is, with the quotes and the %command%, but using your custom path:
"C:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Binaries\Win64Steam\CivilizationVI.exe" %command%
4.1. For DX12, replace CivilizationVI.exe with CivilizationVI_DX12.exe

5. Enjoy add-free civ start.

for me I only discovered this a few hours ago when the newest update at the time of writing stopped my multiplayer from working and disabled all my stuff
this completely fixed the game for me and made me hate 2k launcher even more
why make a launcher for steam when it breaks the game completely?! until it broke the game for me the 2k launcher was little more than an annoyance but now I consider it a game breaking piece of forced malware!

Classic, respectable games don't pull stunts like this, even though it might make an extra buck or two. I know it's not a big deal but this makes me pessimistic about the franchise.

I have been unsuccessful with the work around I keep getting an error. I can live with the Launcher and the clicking but its not even recognizing the game files, the store is empty. Unless I missing something in the Launcher the only option I get is buy the game and DLCs and directs me to Steam. They are all in my library. Very frustrating!
I had a C++ runtime update waiting so I downloaded. I also looked at the directory path
X:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Binaries\Win64Steam\CivilizationVI_DX12.exe" %command%
I realized my path didn't have \Steam\ I removed that in the above command and now it works. If your having issues bypassing the Launcher carefully check your path.

Last edited:
By running the exe directly, is the multiplayer functional? I don't have the steam version so I got to ask.
My epic trash version doesn't even let me go online

By running the exe directly, is the multiplayer functional? I don't have the steam version so I got to ask.
My epic trash version doesn't even let me go online

It should be, but I don't know about the Epic version... why doesn't it let you go online?

This trick does not seem to work for me. I have tried everything. I even fired up the exe manually from the folder and I get the failed path error.
I keep my game on an SSD but its definitely telling me I am on wrong path and I can't understand why.
The exe is showing in the path listed above I can trace even when i go to steam and 'browse' where the game files are kept. Anyone have this issue or perhaps a work around?

You know, the launcher wouldn't bug me if it loaded quickly but it takes a while, then the game takes a while, then my save takes a while...Its not just an extra click.

They could reduce annoyance by adding a resume button to the launcher like other games have. Then I'd probably love the launcher.

This trick does not seem to work for me. I have tried everything. I even fired up the exe manually from the folder and I get the failed path error.
I keep my game on an SSD but its definitely telling me I am on wrong path and I can't understand why.
The exe is showing in the path listed above I can trace even when i go to steam and 'browse' where the game files are kept. Anyone have this issue or perhaps a work around?

Can you post your exact command as you have it in your launch options?

Sorry for an ignorant question... but I got the game from the Epic game store, and have always thus far had to use the Epic games launcher, which recently started to auto transition to the new 2K launcher. But now I can't even get the Epic game launcher to launch from my computer. I tried downloading it again but no luck.

How can I bypass this stuff since I don't (afaik) have a Steam account and don't usually access the game through any such? Any help would be much appreciated.

1. In your Steam library list, right-click on Civilization 6
2. From the pull down menu, select Properties
3. About the middle of the opened properties window, click on Set Launch Options...
4. Insert the following line as is, with the quotes and the %command%, but using your custom path:
"C:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Binaries\Win64Steam\CivilizationVI.exe" %command%
4.1. For DX12, replace CivilizationVI.exe with CivilizationVI_DX12.exe

5. Enjoy add-free civ start.

thanks for this! the latest launcher was eating up 35% of my CPU! I’ve banished the launcher forever now.

One of my friends has a big problem with the EGS version of the game, as it sets the language in game to English on every launch. Two 2K support tickets did not help him at all. And I presume learning English on the spot is not an option here. The launcher doesn't bother me directly, but if not for it I'd probably have people to play with comfortably in multiplayer. Annoying.

my proper string appears to be:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Binaries\Win64Steam\CivilizationVI_DX12.exe" %command%

but it doesn't work...I get the message that file name or directory path syntax may be incorrect.

Any thoughts?

Same problem here with
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Binaries\Win64Steam\CivilizationVI.exe" %command%

"Windows doesnt find 'C:\Program'....

Or the path is given by the properties of CivilizationVI.exe

i can't load saved games after turn 150 and over.
and the computer freeze between each turn

For those of you with Windows not finding the path, I suspect the cause is that the game folder is inside Program Files, and Windows is very finicky with that folder. You could try and move the game folder outside that directory, or wait for someone to state that they have their game folder inside Program Files and it still works (thus voiding this theory).

Aristios,

My game is indeed under Program Files. I am wondering If should move it?

Steam has a thing which says it will let us 'move the files/directory. I wonder if it will let me drop it right in the drive not in a sub folder? ..

I have two separate SSD I keep steam games on each are 500 gig.

Worth the try, I cannot see any other possible reason... I learned my UAC lesson many years ago and NEVER install anything but the most strict software inside Program Files...games, never ever.

EDIT: and YES, my entire Steam folder is also inside C:/Games/, so anything Steam installed is automatically safe from UAC.

Top Bottom