How to bypass the stupid launcher

I feel so bad for the people in this thread.

I’m not going to lie, the sheer absurdity is making me laugh but I can imagine the frustration and I hope this gets sorted out

I've been running the launcher without problems for years (or whenever my earlier posts in this thread were). But one thing I forgot until the recent launcher change, I forgot which direct x version I was running. I do remember having problems with direct x 12 and going back to 11. I don't remember what my settings were before this last launcher change.

Have you guys been able to run Direct X 12 without problems? If so, then I'll change back, but I want to hear from others. And what difference do those settings actually make?

I've been running the launcher without problems for years (or whenever my earlier posts in this thread were). But one thing I forgot until the recent launcher change, I forgot which direct x version I was running. I do remember having problems with direct x 12 and going back to 11. I don't remember what my settings were before this last launcher change.

Have you guys been able to run Direct X 12 without problems? If so, then I'll change back, but I want to hear from others. And what difference do those settings actually make?
I had a problem getting the launch option to work, but must have been a wrong path somehow. I tried dx11 and that worked. Then I swapped back to dx12 and then it worked. The only difference I can spot, is a few lowercase letters. Anyway it works for me with this path:
"d:\steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Binaries\Win64Steam\CivilizationVI_DX12.exe" %command%

Thanks for the info @Aristos , we set it up on the family computers here.

I imagine this can't be done in Epic Games? *sighs*

The launcher is just such a waste of time. I don't need an extra thing to click through. Usually I start up a game and while it's loading I go off and do something else, but this game has the launcher which delays that.

I’d normally be ok with a launcher, but a launcher that forces itself to remain running while gaming, is a big no thanks. If not for this option, then all 2K games would be dead to me.

This worked perfectly the first time for me. The person who figured this is a god.

Thank you, Aristos!

The stupid launcher stopped working and the only way I can play the game now is by circumventing it. It boggles the mind that they would actually put something in there that would make it more difficult to play the game...

Thank you, Aristos!

The stupid launcher stopped working and the only way I can play the game now is by circumventing it. It boggles the mind that they would actually put something in there that would make it more difficult to play the game...

And clearly have zero playtesting

That is post millenial capitalism for you

Aristio's and community.

I want to update my issue. I created a folder on a new drive and had steam migrate the game (Civ VI) to this new folder. Once this happened I was albe to use the command line as listed in this thread and now my desktop shortcut completely bypasses the idiotic launcher.
I am running Win 10 and yes the 'under program' files issue prevented this trick to work. Once I moved the game out of Programe files to a new folder (named whatever you want) and set the path for this in the steam launch options, the bypass worked.

Aristio's and community.

I want to update my issue. I created a folder on a new drive and had steam migrate the game (Civ VI) to this new folder. Once this happened I was albe to use the command line as listed in this thread and now my desktop shortcut completely bypasses the idiotic launcher.
I am running Win 10 and yes the 'under program' files issue prevented this trick to work. Once I moved the game out of Programe files to a new folder (named whatever you want) and set the path for this in the steam launch options, the bypass worked.

Told ya. ;)

Never ever install anything unnecessary into the Program Files folder... UAC is nuts.

Thanks Aristos. I couldn't use steam remoteplay on mafia because of the stupid launcher. I remebered this fix and it worked too! Thank you so much.
One question though: What does the "%command%" actually do? I tried to look it up but couldn't find anything on google about it.

1. In your Steam library list, right-click on Civilization 6
2. From the pull down menu, select Properties
3. About the middle of the opened properties window, click on Set Launch Options...
4. Insert the following line as is, with the quotes and the %command%, but using your custom path:
"C:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Binaries\Win64Steam\CivilizationVI.exe" %command%
4.1. For DX12, replace CivilizationVI.exe with CivilizationVI_DX12.exe

5. Enjoy add-free civ start.
Thank you.
I can't believe the number of people that are not only happily Moderator Action: <snip> tolerating nonsense like this, but also posting to DEFEND it, but c'est la vie. What does the %command% switch actually do?

Moderator Action: Edited to remove unacceptable language. Please review and comply with site rules regarding use of inappropriate language. Browd
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom