How To? :Create Units using the same art.

Splinter13

The Learner
Hello
I'm starting to practice out my modding skills and I want to start modding in my ideas to Civ 4.

I have read a lot of the guides and I understand them quite well. There is only one thing I am kinda confused about. That is creating a unit with the same art as another unit.

As you know i'm new to modding and I just want to do the basics. I don't want to get into the whole Art editing and changing around the units textiles. Therefore I only want to create a unit with an existing skin. With all the guides i've read not many of them have been 100% specific when doing this, that is why i'm asking.

I know pretty well how to create a unit using XML but I want to just clarify somthings. I want to know what to change and what not to change.

For example, Lets say I want to make a civilization specific Infantry unit.
So I copy, paste all the info about the Infantry unit. So i pretty much just duplicated that unit.

Now I want to edit it. So I do so and edit all the stats the name..etc. From what I know the two art related tags are

Code:
 <EarlyArtDefineTag>ART_DEF_UNIT_INFANTRY</EarlyArtDefineTag>

and

<Button>,Art/Interface/Buttons/Units/Infantry.dds,Art/Interface/Buttons/Unit_Resource_Atlas.dds,8,3</Button>

What do each of these represent and what will happen if I change one?
Should I change any of these If I want to leave the art the same or should I just leave them as they are?

Thank you for the explaination.

Splinter13

The <EarlyArtDefineTag> line specifies what the unit looks like (what unit art to use) so if you want the new unit to look exactly the same then do not change this line.

The <Button> line specifies what icon to use for a unit. You could leave this the same but then both the old & new unit will use the exact same icon in the game. That may be confusing at times.

Amra said:
The <EarlyArtDefineTag> line specifies what the unit looks like (what unit art to use) so if you want the new unit to look exactly the same then do not change this line.

The <Button> line specifies what icon to use for a unit. You could leave this the same but then both the old & new unit will use the exact same icon in the game. That may be confusing at times.

Alright, thanks for that.

Top Bottom