How to get full promotions?

Zaimejs

Emperor
I saw there is an achievement to take a city with a fully promoted Giant Death Robot. I have been playing for years, and I think maybe 5 promotions is the most I have ever gotten out of a unit.

What is the secret to getting an uber promoted unit? Which civs are best? How much do encampments and those upgrades help?

Thanks!

p.s. I searched this site and google for information on this, but couldn't find a good source for quick and dirty unit promotion tricks and tips. Thanks!

I generell I would say play a huge map and fight alot from the beginning to gain lots of promotions. Ofc you habe to keep those units alive as well.
I don't think encampment buildings have that much of an impact. You need to advance alot on the tech tree to get the t2 and t3 buildings instead. If your units were battling from the beginning you might have 5+ promotions by the time you unlock those buildings.

For the GDR it works a little different though. You unlock the GDR promotions in the tech tree and don't need to earn experience.

Ranged units are easy to promote. Bring down the walls of an enemy city, don't capture it or siege it, and shoot at the walls as they regenerate.

Ranged units are easy to promote. Bring down the walls of an enemy city, don't capture it or siege it, and shoot at the walls as they regenerate.

Also once they have their T4 promotion you can shot twice each turn and earn double experience this way.

Since the last patch, forming Corps and Fleets has become an effective way - ideally you combine two units of which one has taken the "left" and the other the "right" promotion side - the created Corps/Fleet has then the promotions of both units.

Since the last patch, forming Corps and Fleets has become an effective way - ideally you combine two units of which one has taken the "left" and the other the "right" promotion side - the created Corps/Fleet has then the promotions of both units.
Does this work for Vanilla or only the expansions?

Does this work for Vanilla or only the expansions?

It was an undocumented change, so it is not possible to tell from the patch notes. I have all expansions; however, I would assume that it works that way in the base game, too - would be weird IMO too have such basic mechanic depend on game version.
I would recommend to save before merging two units like exaplained above and draw your conclusions from the result - if different promotions are kept, it works the updated way generally.

I didn't know that about GDR... I guess I have not used them much... never get that far to an end game. Usually win sooner, I guess. That is cool about corps combining trees. I will pay more attention to how I combine my units!!!

I didn't know that about GDR... I guess I have not used them much... never get that far to an end game. Usually win sooner, I guess. That is cool about corps combining trees. I will pay more attention to how I combine my units!!!

GDRs works completely different - they do not collect any experience (and so no promotions by reaching certain experience levels, too) and you also cannot combine GDRs into Corps or Armies.

Instead all your GDRs have always exactly the same promotions - and which is dictated by you scientific progress. I recommend you reading the civilopedia section on promotions for the GDR or having a look on the techs of the last era of the scientific tech tree - there you can see which techs unlocks which promotions for the GDR.

Top Bottom