How to protect siege equipment?

xQx

Chieftain
I understand that you can build three of something to form an army but what if you only want to build one catapult, for instance, and send it to a nearby city. There is a pop up that I've seen in the game that says you need to protect the catapult with other units because of its weak defense but I can't figure out how. Since you can't combine different units into armies how do I protect a catapult with another unit?

I'm sure it's something simple but I can't figure it out.

I understand that you can build three of something to form an army but what if you only want to build one catapult, for instance, and send it to a nearby city. There is a pop up that I've seen in the game that says you need to protect the catapult with other units because of its weak defense but I can't figure out how. Since you can't combine different units into armies how do I protect a catapult with another unit?

I'm sure it's something simple but I can't figure it out.

Just make sure you have an archer/pikemen army traveling with your catapault. That way if you get attacked, they opponent has to get through your higher defensive archers/pikemen before it can attack your catapault.

Sorry, I'm still not getting it...what do you mean by travel with? Put them all in the same square for movement? Does this act as a stack as opposed to an army?

Yes, just move the archers in the same tiles as the catapult(s) - if attacked, the unit with the highest defence stat (the archers) will fight instead of the catapult.

What about the fact that an archer has the same defense stat (I think? are catapults 6/1?) as a catapult army, even though you'd rather the archer take the brunt of any attack?

Had this problem with tank armies last night - they were vulnerable to my opponents' tank armies and none of my other units in the same square had a better defense :(

EDIT: Oops, went and looked at gamefaqs - a catapult is 4/1 meaning an army is 12/3, so it would be the first unit to defend when attacked since an archer is only 1/2, yes?

I hate how the tooltips don't give you the a/d/m of units anymore like it did on PC.

Yes, When your strong offense unit (tank, catapult, canons) are travelling, just make sure you also end the turn with a defensive unit in the same square.

Generally tanks have a pretty good defense to start, but the riflemen have better defense. Archers have 2 defense, not 1. Pikemen are good too.

Top Bottom