[TUTORIAL] How to use the Steam editor

Midnight-Blue766

The filidh that cam frae Skye
If you are like me, then you've had trouble trying to use the editor that came with the Steam Version of Civ3 Complete. Typically, the computer will give you the messages:

"Could not locate Civilization III: Play the World. Please make sure the game has been properly installed and try again."

"Could not locate Civilization III: Conquests. Please make sure the game has been properly installed and try again."

And so forth, and the editor will be unable to load any art assets.

Luckily, there is a reason for this and a solution. After looking up the problem and finding another thread on Steam about the issue, and looking into the registry of my laptop where I don't have this problem, I believe I have solved the problem. If (and when, in my experience) you get these errors, it means several entries are missing in the computer registry. The tutorial for re-adding them are as follows:
  1. Copy the install paths for Civilization III Complete, Play the World, and Conquests
  2. Open the Registry Editor and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/WOW6432Node
  3. Create the new key "Infogrames Interactive"
  4. In the Infogrames Interactive key, create the key "Civilization III"
  5. Create a new String Value in "Civilization III" labelled "install_path".
  6. Click on it several times until the "Edit String" window opens
  7. In "Value data", paste in the install path for Vanilla Civ3 (this is just the folder Conquests is installed in)
  8. In WOW6432Node, create a key labelled "Infogrames"
  9. Create the key "Civ3PTW" in Infogrames
  10. Repeat steps 5-7
  11. Repeat step 9-10 for Conquests
  12. I am not responsible for any computer malfunctions that may result. :hide:

Last edited:
I have the same messages in the GOG version. Will try that fix.

What do you mean by copy the install paths? What are the install paths?

Edit: did a search, and ran as administrator and it worked. I can see that I need to change things to make sure that anything I save goes to the GOG version instead of the disk version.

Last edited:
Might a similar fix also work for someone who has copied a (legitimate!) NoCD-version of the Vanilla .exe into their Steam-installation, but when trying to run it, is being told that it cannot find the game?

Top Bottom