How to wage an effective war with a democratic government:

I agree in part with Moonsinger.

War wariness only seems to effect outer cities with mixed populations - let them suffer - they have high corruption anyway - therefore converting a few to entertainers does not really make much difference.

The total number of science and commerce points seen in the domestic advisor screen is MUCH higher than with for instance Monarchy even with a number of your cities in disarray and with say 30% luxuries. (I am not sure why maybe someone can tell me?)

Production does not seem to suffer as democracy has 150% production. The exception being in the outer-mixed cities effected by war weariness.

I still think some temples, cathedrals and luxury resources would be useful though.

Personally however if im already winning I can't be bothered sorting out unhappy cities each turn it's easier to change to another government type.

Originally posted by Steaton

War wariness only seems to effect outer cities with mixed populations - let them suffer - they have high corruption anyway - therefore converting a few to entertainers does not really make much difference.
If you stay in a war for a long time, and if you are fighting an offensive war or if you stay with your units in enemy territory for a long time you will get war weariness everywhere. I've had 60%, and even more of my own citizens be unhappy because of the war (the rest because of overcrowding like usual).

The total number of science and commerce points seen in the domestic advisor screen is MUCH higher than with for instance Monarchy even with a number of your cities in disarray and with say 30% luxuries. (I am not sure why maybe someone can tell me?)
Because democracy has lower corruption and it get +1 Gold on every tile.

Production does not seem to suffer as democracy has 150% production. The exception being in the outer-mixed cities effected by war weariness.
Democracy don't get 150% production, they got 50% faster workers.

Originally posted by Steaton

Incorrect, it makes all the difference, if you allow these cities slip and stay in disorder you will fall into anarchy. So to fight a war in democracy you must avoid anarchy by keeping cities out of disorder. You can always let the governor keep it sorted out if the task is too strenuous. Some people hate that option and if you are so inclined the trick is to turn the governor on to fix the happiness and then turn him back off right away, the best of both worlds method. :)

Originally posted by Cartouche Bee

Incorrect, it makes all the difference, if you allow these cities slip and stay in disorder you will fall into anarchy. So to fight a war in democracy you must avoid anarchy by keeping cities out of disorder. You can always let the governor keep it sorted out if the task is too strenuous. Some people hate that option and if you are so inclined the trick is to turn the governor on to fix the happiness and then turn him back off right away, the best of both worlds method. :)

Or just click on the town center when in the city screen. That will "optimize" the citizens.

ACE article.. i might jus try an play the game ur way :)

while i dont doubt you win these wars let me ask you this? is it possible the real reason you win the wars is not because of this strategy but because you are economically and militarily so superior before you even start? if this strategy is successful how much more successful could you be fighting your enemies one at a time? all you give up is a few luxuries but the wars are quick and war weariness doesnt build up to obscene levels. furthermore you did not mention the chance of falling into anarchy during long wars under democracy.

im a believer in democracy. but im also a believer in the religious trait. ill go to war in democracy and should my war take longer than expected and i fall into anarchy its not a big loss under this circumstance. but declaring on all nations at once though it might bring about victory does not strike me as the "optimal" strategy.

Moonsinger said:
I rarely capture enemy city unless I'm sure I can completely wipe them out within a few turn. I always refer to raze the enemy cities and rebuild them from scatch. It's safer, faster, and happier that way. Plus I can start rushing improvement right away.

Zachriel said:
That's fine as long as you want to be known as Moonsinger, the destroyer, or Moonsinger, the murderer of millions, or Moonsinger, the slaughterer of children, the destroyer of dreams.

Use your might for right. Don't take the so-called easy way.

I don't care how old this thread is, I read this and laughed my ass off (LMAO!!!11!1!)...

You may wish to look into this little trick to eliminate that little happiness micromanagement you were trying to pull off. Use the governor to manage citizen moods and he will essentially do exactly what you were, I typically use the governor in my games for moods, food and shield production to make for the ultimate happy war state.

Top Bottom