Hurry up and go already!

fl0atfaced0wn

Chieftain
i dont understand why on multiplayer everyone i face takes the full turn even at the beginning of the game. it takes me five to ten seconds to pic my tech andmove my army around and then i have to wait 30 seconds for the other player.

Lol, I'm totally with you on this mate, I think they hope you get bored and quit or something.

I am also with you guys but think that we are not alone. For sure, some of them have never played to Civ and they try to change things, etc ...

I don't play multyplayer for this reason. I normally take 3-4 hours to finish a game in singleplayer, but when it comes to online people drag out the turns and it turns into 6-8 hours.

Maybe I am one of those people you are complaining about, because I notice that I am usually one of the last players to finish my turn in multiplayer. Here is what I am doing in the first few turns:

On turn one, I'm thinking, is this really the best place to settle? Maybe I get a few more hammers or commerce by moving? Is it worth wasting a turn to move a full two spaces? And then, once I do settle, I go micro my workers so that I can get a warrior out on turn three, instead of the default of turn five. After my first warrior is out, maybe I go back to micro the workers to focus on growth and I try to figure out where I want to place my second city. If there are any resources nearby, I am trying to plan out what my research path would be to maximize use of the resources as early as possible, and also if I should switch to gold to try to get the bonus settler early. After each small goal, I am usually back to switching the workers in my first city.

Unfortunately, it seems really slow to manage the workers by hand in a multiplayer match. It's like it does a full round-trip communication to each other player in the game for every move in the worker menu, which slows down the process quite a bit if you are changing your workers frequently.

i havent played civrev online yet, just a few single player games at friends house till he gets hooked up. I played civ 3/4 online alot and when I was about to move next to someone borders to attack I'd wait right before the time limit so my opponent is not able to roperly move units to defend. If you have horse units you can move next to a border at the end of he turn then right when the next turn starts attack a close city before the other playerknows what to do. Unfortunetly I'd always worry someone else would do this to me so I'd wait till last second even when not preparing to attack with my fingers ready to move units should units pop up on my borders the last second, kindof a vicious cicle they should remedy, possibly by diallowing movement of military units after a certai point in the turn so you have to move them right away and then focuse on city managment if necessary. Can't wait to play civ with you guys online.

I usually finish an online game in under 3 hours, longest I've had was 3.5. That was when I could get a game mind, since 1.10 has ruined that.

Remember that there are a lot of new people playing this game. Is annoying, but for new players sometimes MP is a total different experience.

The problem is that there are 4 players in a match, the odds all of them take there turns fast is very unlikely.

I most of the time quit around 0 AD, because i cant stand waiting 30 seconds every turn for the same person over and over again

The problem is that there are 4 players in a match, the odds all of them take there turns fast is very unlikely.

I most of the time quit around 0 AD, because i cant stand waiting 30 seconds every turn for the same person over and over again

Well by quitting early you're only adding to the disappointing multiplayer experience.

well, if people wouldn't take forever, i wouldn't quit, and the times i dont, the game freezes for everyone, so what am i suppose to do about that

I no longer have sympathy for people who complain about people taking too long. It used to drive me crazy too, but I've had a few games lately where people constantly complain into the mic about me taking too long when I am busy with a lot of units to move. I am so sick of hearing high school kids on Xbox Live crying into their mic because they have to wait for someone else to finish their turn.

Just because you don't have any units to keep track of doesn't mean that goes for everyone. I rush warriors at the beginning of the game so I have them moving around and fighting barbarians and collecting the goody huts while everyone else just pushes B and waits for the turn to end and their city to grow. I rarely use up the entire timer, but I am so sick of people whining if I use a quarter or half of the timer. I usually have three warriors running around when most people have one, so obviously I will have more to do than the rest of you, and that's not my fault.

I'm sorry I can't make the combat go any faster! If I could skip the combat animations, I would, but I can't, so I have to wait for them, and then so do you! When people take a while, it does not mean they're just sitting there staring at the screen debating if they should end their turn yet or not. They usually have things going on, and just because you don't have anything going on yet doesn't mean they don't. So stop being so impatient and if it bothers you that much, rush a warrior yourself, read a book, or watch TV for the 10-15 seconds you have to wait between turns.

Good point, Bonafide11.
I agree I don't like to be rushed when it's so happen I get a lot of units to move at the beginning. It's not the same as using a keyboard and mouse. It's easy to make a mistake moving units to the wrong spot which can cost me.

Good point, Bonafide11.
I agree I don't like to be rushed when it's so happen I get a lot of units to move at the beginning. It's not the same as using a keyboard and mouse. It's easy to make a mistake moving units to the wrong spot which can cost me.

This is very true. I think what is mostly is though, is that in the early game everyone wants the pace of the game to go fast, but then in the late game those people who were complaining in the early game now become the very same people they were complaining about. So it's very contradicting to put it somply.

I no longer have sympathy for people who complain about people taking too long. It used to drive me crazy too, but I've had a few games lately where people constantly complain into the mic about me taking too long when I am busy with a lot of units to move. I am so sick of hearing high school kids on Xbox Live crying into their mic because they have to wait for someone else to finish their turn.

Just because you don't have any units to keep track of doesn't mean that goes for everyone. I rush warriors at the beginning of the game so I have them moving around and fighting barbarians and collecting the goody huts while everyone else just pushes B and waits for the turn to end and their city to grow. I rarely use up the entire timer, but I am so sick of people whining if I use a quarter or half of the timer. I usually have three warriors running around when most people have one, so obviously I will have more to do than the rest of you, and that's not my fault.

I'm sorry I can't make the combat go any faster! If I could skip the combat animations, I would, but I can't, so I have to wait for them, and then so do you! When people take a while, it does not mean they're just sitting there staring at the screen debating if they should end their turn yet or not. They usually have things going on, and just because you don't have anything going on yet doesn't mean they don't. So stop being so impatient and if it bothers you that much, rush a warrior yourself, read a book, or watch TV for the 10-15 seconds you have to wait between turns.

So basically, you only care about yourself and don't think about others, okay.

Thats why your telling people, basically, to wait for the old man (you) to take your turn;)

So basically, you only care about yourself and don't think about others, okay.

Thats why your telling people, basically, to wait for the old man (you) to take your turn;)

Well, I'm 25, so I don't think that quite makes me an old man yet. I certainly feel like an old man while playing on Xbox Live and listening to the immature kids talk on there, but I still like to think I have a good amount of years ahead of me.

Anyway, no, the point of my post had nothing to do with me only caring about myself and not thinking about others; it had to do with me playing the game and others not understanding that I have units to move and moves to make, even if they don't. I always rush warriors at the beginning, so I may have 3 or 4 warriors out while most people will have 1. So that requires 3 or 4 units to move, and often the barbarians give me spies, caravans, or galleys. So that means more units to move. No matter how fast I move the units, the game still shows the animations for them, and I can't change that. I cannot skip through the animation or the combat animations to make the turn go faster, and that's not selfish of me. I literally cannot do anything to make the turn go faster unless I decide it's selfish of me to fight the barbarians because it makes other people wait for me.

So once again, just because you have no units to move doesn't mean nobody else does. If I take longer than you to take the turn, there's probably a good reason for it, and that reason is I'm cleaning up all the barbarian villages.

Just admit it, your a slow player, i have played on a fast timer (30 seconds), and,yeah i was a little rushed, but that was okay, i still got my turn done. It doesn't take a normal person a minute to finish their tenth turn, im sorry.

You say your not selfish?

You basically said ''screw you if anyone has a different opinion and wants me to go faster'', and if that doesn't sound selfish to you, then you might want to look the word up.

Just admit it, your a slow player, i have played on a fast timer (30 seconds), and,yeah i was a little rushed, but that was okay, i still got my turn done. It doesn't take a normal person a minute to finish their tenth turn, im sorry.

You basically said ''screw you if anyone has a different opinion and wants me to go faster'', and if that doesn't sound selfish to you, then you might want to look the word up.

I don't think you've read my post. I WISH I could go faster too, but I literally can't because I have too many units to take care of, and there's nothing I can do about it! It's not my fault I can't skip through the combat animations, which is what takes up the majority of my turns. Obviously if I have 4 units fighting while you only have 1 unit, my turn will take much longer than your's, and that's not my fault. Selfish means doing something only for one's self interest, I'm not taking long because I want to, I'm taking long because I HAVE to because I can't skip the combat animations or any of the other things that happen. I have to watch the units move from tile to tile and I have to watch the units fight the barbarians because the game doesn't allow me to skip the animations. No matter how fast I press the buttons isn't going to make the turn go by any faster. The animations still take just as long.

I don't care how long it takes the "normal person" to take their tenth turn because the normal person isn't good at the game either. The normal person builds one warrior and then starts building a library and leaves their capital completely undefended. Personally I prefer to win the game so I'm not going to adopt that strategy.

I appreciate you telling me to look "selfish" up in the dictionary. I am working on my dissertation, I'm about to get my Ph.D., and I'm being told to look up the word "selfish." How about you explain to me how it's not selfish of you to say that everyone has to hurry up and go faster just because you're done with your turn? Now that's selfish.

Wow, what a douche.

Top Bottom