I click the ‘Next Turn’ button. What happens?

Elysium

Chieftain

My emissary to the City State of ‘European City the Developers heard about in the movies’ is in deep discussion with his counterpart. Recently, the City State has been drawing further and further away from my nation, and my emissary is there to see what’s going on.

“Man from big nation. You give our ancestors 500 gold three centuries ago. In return, we supply you with fish every year. All ancestors now dead, but we still giving fish. We want more gold.”
“Well, I’m sure we could come to some arrangement whereby we pay you every year for the fish – “
“No. 500 gold, every three centuries. That is our way.”
“But you’ll all be dead by the time of the next payment!”
“That is our way.”
“Can’t we just give you a little money every – “
“THAT IS OUR WAY.”

At the border between my empire and the mighty civilisation of Rome, a group of merchants have been halted by legionaries.

“Hello chaps, we’re looking to cross the border to sell the finest preserves our country has to offer in your great city of Antioch!”
The legionaries look sternly down at the merchants.
“There is no cross-border trade anywhere, except that mandated by Caesar. Nothing except the goods he has specified in agreement with your ruler may cross.”

A little way away from the huddle of merchants and legionaries, a line of naked men carrying fistfuls of sugar is crossing the border.

“Why can’t they carry the salt in sacks?”
“Because that leaves the possibility of non-allowed goods crossing the border – independent trade. This cannot be borne; as everyone knows, independent trade is only acceptable within a nation. Who knows what might happen if people were allowed to carry what they wanted across borders?
“Why do they have to be naked?”
“Because“ - here the legionary’s nose wrinkles with disgust – “Otherwise they might smuggle shoes across the border on their feet.”

One of my adjutants is visiting a trading yard in my most industrious city. Two thousand years ago, we discovered the secret of the bow and arrow.

“Good morning, warriors. How goes the training?”
“Not so good, sire; the men keep dying off every forty years or so, and then we have to make the bows again to fit new men.”
“You’ve been at this for two thousand years. When are we actually going to have an army?”
“It’s a very difficult business, sir, training archers. If only they didn’t keep dying of old age.”
“I swear, I bet other versions of reality never had such an issue in training troops in under a millennium.”

I receive a report from one of my field engineers. It contains a verbatim account of a conversation he had with one of the gangmasters leading our efforts to tame the lands of our empire.

“You fellows were meant to be in the hills above the city digging mines three years ago. What took you so long to get here?
“Many apologies, sir, but we were forced to take an alternate route through the jungle.”
“Why? There’s a perfectly good road between the capital and here; why didn’t you use it?”
“We couldn’t. Another gang of workers were in the area, stopping us from getting through.”
“Says here that the other gang had been tasked with digging irrigation ditches to help develop farmland. They weren’t anywhere near the road.”
“Yes, but they were in the area, sir.”
“So?”
“What happens if one of our men had bumped into one of the other men while they were crossing the road? There’d have been such a todo. Can’t have that, sir.”

Nothing.

Nothing.

Nothing.

I click the ‘Civ4 – BTS’ button.

Satire to cover up bashing a week old game with 2 patches compared to a 5 year old one with three expansions and over 150 patches + 2000+ mods? You don't say!

Satire to cover up bashing a week old game with 2 patches compared to a 5 year old one with three expansions and over 150 patches + 2000+ mods? You don't say!

“THAT IS OUR WAY.” :lol:

Haha Civ 4, "Sir, it's 1990 AD, why are there hairy chested men in loincloths guarding our city?" "Oh, well because the king is so kingly that people can't tell the difference and get happy with whatever person with a weapon we stick in there"

I suspect you miss my point. Vanilla Civ 4 was far better at suspending disbelief than vanilla Civ 5 is - even factoring in the point made above by m0pac. This has been noted elsewhere. However, 'suspension of disbelief' is such a subjective quality that only way to really draw it out - aside from RPS's reference to the increase of the obviously mathematical quality of the game - is to indicate areas in which it becomes really, really hard to suspend disbelief.

Since these factors involved are the result of design choices, it's not unreasonable to presume that they'll remain the same, despite expansions. I do hope to be proven wrong, however.

I'm in civ 4, I click the end turn button. What happens?

"Sire, That diamond mine and gold mine you wanted in your most northern of territory just cannot begin working in the mines!"
"That's preposterous i moved a couple of thousand people up there, i set my workers to build roads and mines!"
"err yeah about that.. The mines haven't been built yet."
"Jesus christ on a.. Why the hell not?!"
"well sire, we don't own this land yet and therefore cannot build on it.. duh."
"watch your mouth boy and get to buying that land in a hurry".
" Well sire this land is not for sale, you have to earn it."
"well who owns it?"
"nobody.."
"... alright then what do i have to do?"
"build a theater, and wait 5 years."
"a theater?! IT'S IN SIBERIA FOR GOD'S SAKE!! WHAT THE HELL DO THEY NEED THAT FOR?!!
"THIS WILL NOT BE NEGOTIATED, EITHER YOU BUILD THAT THEATER OR THOSE PEOPLE WILL START MINING TUNDRA!"

I click the end turn button. What happens?

"Sire!! We're under attack!! The Germans are ticked off, they're coming for Kiev!!"
"Ah no worries, I have a large city defense there and 10 sentries of musketmen."
"no Sire, you do not understand!! THEY BROUGHT 30 SENTRIES OF CATAPULTS AND 2 SENTRIES OF CLUBMEN!!"
"clubmen and catapults? hahaha that's ridiculous how on earth could we loose to that? They can't even fit that many catapults around Kiev, let alone have the time to set them all up. March the musketmen into the catapults, open fire!"
"Sire the musket men only took out 5 sentries, the others are now ready to bombard!!"
"WHAT?! how the hell did that happen?! THEY HAD 5 YEARS TO KILL THEM!"
"The Musketmen got really tired sire.. there was just too much wood on those catapults"
"So have the musket men move away from the firing catapults?"
"They can't sire.. The catapults are firing and moving at the same time throwing rocks at the entire area as if it was a dodgeball game.."
"This is ******ed i'm sending the musket men in to finish the job on those catapults.. they'll run out of rocks eventually"
"Your musket men are being beaten to death by clubmen.. they simply cannot figure out how to defend themselves.. if these clubmen keep this up for 10 years.. God knows what will happen.. "

I click the end turn button. What happens?

"hi I'm Ghenghis Khan, I haven't got a single city located near the ocean.. Show me how to sail and i'll show you how to put iron on your horses and make them powerful!"
"but we don't have horses.. and you can't build ships, even if you learned how to.."
"I SAID SHOW ME!!"
"you don't even have an alphabet, how will you remember this?"
"I SAID SHUT UP AND TRADE!!"

I enter world builder and give all the barbarians nukes.. :p

I lol'd :D

sad but true...
still, the game is fun

sadly i can only play it on weekends and not on my own computers.

Hehe, fun thread.

10hours into my marathon game,

CTD :(

I thought it was the best of the gripe posts yet. :lol:

^ Agreed, definitely hilarious, and he actually (go figure) points out legitimate problems with the game using humor instead of hysterical screaming. (Haters, take note! This is how it's done.)

+10 Pepsi points for you, sir. :goodjob:

Haha fun, I'll try too:

I'm playing civ5 and click next turn. What happens?

-Sir we just got a new land, and it has cows!
-Excellent, we need food, build a pasture.
-No sir, if we need food we should build a farm.
-What? Why would we plant crops under the cows, wouldn't they eat our food? Just build the pasture!!!
-Sir we did as you comanded and built a pasture.
-Great, are we getting more food?
-No, but the cows are now training the marines faster...

Hehe thanks for the good post,Elysium.Didn't you make AARs for Total War too?

Top Bottom