I hate Steam

MafiaHun

Chieftain
If I knew Civ V was using the Steam cloud, I wouldn't have bought it. I feel like I was ripped off! And, of course, I can't get past the opening video (which I can't ESC from) and the program doesn't respond. A real waste of money!:mad:

You don't have to use the Steam cloud for saves, you have the option to if you think you're going to want to continue the save from a different computer.

The problem with getting past the intro video is not related to Steam at all. Sure, you can launch the game from a shortcut on the Steam client, but from that point on it's all the game and your computer's ability to run it.

If your system specs are adequate are you running in SLI or Crossfire? It seems the game is having issues with dual video card setups and disabling SLI has fixed it for most. I'm betting the SLI/Crossfire issue will be addressed in one of the early patches.

Documents/My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization V/UserSettings.ini

Open that in Notepad and change "SkipIntroVideo = 0" to "SkipIntroVideo = 1". (w/o quotes)

That should get rid of the opening video.

You may be right, McLMan, but I am more skeptical. I was a Total War fan until the last version went on Steam. The graphics and "feel" of the game is totally different, and there were far too many freezes and blips. I stopped playing it. Unfortunately, Steam means the end of Civilization...Sid Meier made a huge mistake.

It is the end of civ for me as long as we have to stuggle with or against steam. I am uninstalling it from both my computers.

Stwils

I'm not so sure about it being a mistake from Firaxis' point of view. They are in the business of selling games. Steam is a vehicle for developers to sell games, limit piracy, provide automatic updates, and a social network for gamers. I've been using Steam for nearly 2 years now with other games (L4D 1&2, MW2) and have around 150 friends on there. Last night I got to play the game for about 2 hours. In those 2 hours I had 4 people ask me if the game was any good? What's it about? etc. etc. I later saw one of them had downloaded the demo and was playing it, and another had bought the full game. I'm just one person who played it for 2 hours during a time that a fraction of my friends were online.

This type of "viral advertising" is a smart move on Firaxis' part. For every person who (usually wrongly) blames Steam for any number of problems and doesn't get the game they get even more purchases who normally wouldn't consider Civilization.

Steam haters need to calm down, if you're having problems running the game your frustration is misdirected if it's toward Steam.

I understand your anger MafiaHun...
I will be forced to use Steam for the 1st time in my life, and I am not happy with this. Unfortunately, I will do it because Civilization is my top game since ... too long ago ... I had no white hairs when I start playing Microprose's master piece on a superbly expensive PC XT...

Sid is the Creative Director at Firaxis. It is not him who decides for marketing...
Take2 (the publisher) is the suspect...

I would have love Take2 to offer at least 2 choices, such as Steam and Impulse (or Direct2Drive if without Steam): both have good and less good points, but it offers an "escape way" for those who don't like a particular system...
Even a competitor like Direct2Drive sells Civ 5 with Steam included !!!
It is as if you have a Toyota shop, and you are asked to finance advertisements for VW for each Toyota you sell !!!

I'm sending the game back to Amazon and get my $50 back. I"ve worn out Beyond the Sword and all the mods, but prefer that to this. And I was so looking forward to V too. Such is the world.

All these complaints about Steam... when Steam isn't causing these issues.

I'm sending it back because of my experience with Empires Total War going to STEAM. I found it so inferior to the DVD installed game, I stopped playing it. So I know I will not play Civ V in this format either. I did get past the opening video one time, and the graphics of the map were very stilted and fake. The texture of the graphics was also less than realistic and certainly worse than Civ IV, not better. Whether it's STEAM or not, I don't care. I don't like the concept and the delivery of the game. I would buy it if I could load it on my laptop from a DVD without an intermediary like Steam. It degrades the game.

Empires Total War required Steam even if installed from a DVD, fyi.

Top Bottom