• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

I have Civilization IV since 2005, but haven't played yet!

Sky_Net

Chieftain
This is so ironic. I bought the Civilization IV game in the 2nd week it came out. Its been months now and I have yet to play this game.

Its because my old computer is too slow to play games. I need to save money to buy a new computer. I am happy to announce that in May, I'll be buying a computer and finally play Civ 4.

Is a 6600 GT good enough video card?

Does the game contain a Earth Map?

Sky_Net said:
This is so ironic. I bought the Civilization IV game in the 2nd week it came out. Its been months now and I have yet to play this game.

Its because my old computer is too slow to play games. I need to save money to buy a new computer. I am happy to announce that in May, I'll be buying a computer and finally play Civ 4.

Is a 6600 GT good enough video card?

Does the game contain a Earth Map?

I play on a 6600(not GT) with a gig of RAM on Huge maps with the settings maxed at 1024x768 resolution. A GT will serve you fine.

Eternalsteelfan said:
I play on a 6600(not GT) with a gig of RAM on Huge maps with the settings maxed at 1024x768 resolution. A GT will serve you fine.

Thanks. I think a $200 video card is all it takes to run this game.

Does this game have a Map of the Real Earth?

Sky_Net said:
Thanks. I think a $200 video card is all it takes to run this game.

Does this game have a Map of the Real Earth?

Terra maps generate a random map that an be very similiar to Earth in climate, continents, and sea level. For an exact duplicate I believe there is at least one scenario that duplicates our Earth and even places the Civs where they started on Earth.

I played this on a GE Force2, but it was slow. I now have a 6600GT. And its still slow.

Reignking said:
I played this on a GE Force2, but it was slow. I now have a 6600GT. And its still slow.

Really? But a 6600GT fits all requirements? I want the ultimate gaming experience.

Will the 7600XT work?

Reignking said:

How much RAM? If I can play it maxed out at 1024x768 with a frigging $120 card it's not the card.

My card costs about the same - like a GeForce FX5800 or something low-end.

The video seems to do fine - Civ4 does love the RAM though - make sure you get 1GB+ (that'll help with anything you do on the PC).

I have 2 gigs of RAM and the crappiest OEM video HP could stuff in a laptop. The game runs pretty smoothly at 1024x768 with default settings. I definitely think RAM is more important for Civ4.

I have to agree with Eternal, RAM seems to be more important than the video card you are using. I use an Radeon 9000 pro on my machine with 1 gig of system RAM, my sons computer has a Radeon 9500 pro with half as much RAM. My computer handles the game well, but my sons setup tends to slow to a crawl in the late game on larger maps.

Sky_Net said:
Really? But a 6600GT fits all requirements? I want the ultimate gaming experience.

Will the 7600XT work?

I have the LeadTek 6600GT 128 MB card,works great! Memory is what is needed for this game,but a balance of all 3 would be preferable. Memory,videocard,cpu.

My specs
AMD 2.167 XP 3000+
1.5 gig of ram : (Added 1 gig of ram cause the game kept crashing,works fine now)
WinFast 6600GT 128 mb video

Since I've been saying this alot I'll just add it as my sig...:lol:

I have to agree with what most people here are saying - good RAM, and plenty of it, seems to be more important than the graphics card.

I started playing Civ 4 with a 3-year old PC containing a nVidia GeForce 4 card, the game worked OK with 512MB RAM but much better with 1GB. Since then I have totally rebuilt/upgraded my PC - as I went over budget on the other specs (incl. 2Gigs RAM) I had to cut down on something so I settled on a Gigabyte 6600GT 256MB PCI-e card. I don't play any other games and don't believe I need bleeding edge performance in the graphics department just for Civ4 - I am happy to report that the performance of the 6600GT with this game is just fine. :)

I hope the OP gets all that he wishes for with the new PC... and a working game. Good luck to you! :D

Top Bottom