I love this game

dalgo

Emperor
Playing as the Spanish it was turn 60 and I was at peace with all Indian tribes. In each case their mood was Cautious and none of them had a negative modifier against me. I had one well-developed colony defended by a cannon in Tupi territory, and had just bought the land for a second colony. I had a jesuit mission in a Tupi village was trading with them.

So why did they make a surprise attack? I lost a treasure, my only mission, my only wagon train, my only hardy pioneer :( and my only vet soldier. :mad:

I assume it was simply a case of ‘get your retaliation in first’. As the Spanish I was never intending to live peaceably with the Indians, and in fact the previous turn I had used Alt-S to mark out all my future colonies, one of which was on top of a Tupi village.

Maybe they can read. :)

Perhaps I should have taken heed when the Aztecs attacked the French the previous turn, in spite of their having better relations with the natives. This kind of challenge is what I like most about Colonization, changing abruptly from an orderly exploration/colony management game to an all-out war for survival.

I think the only way to prevent natives from declaring war is to station soldiers (not dragoons) in all your cities. If you do this (preferably with *several* soldiers) you can even weather hefty negative attitude penalties without going to war.

This said, I think some of the tribes are just naturally more aggressive. And I agree with you, the unpredictability is a great added feature to the game.

Cheers, --- Wheldrake

Top Bottom