I made the AI harder :)

Nutteria

Tzar
Well not the level I and many others wish for but still they stoped doing all the random stupid stuff.

The fix is just click the random personalities option.At king level for the first time I saw the civs playing ok.Never overexpanding or being ultra agressive.Hell Ghandi stoped being a huge warmonger and actually played more like himself.

I was like hmm that must be tested so I made two more games just to see how the civs will play out the first 100 turns.So far the only "crazy" as in stupid AI was Egypt that declared on france and two city stated and got smashed.Outside that I really have a good time against those AIs.

Hope this workaround help those who seek more challenge.

Well not the level I and many others wish for but still they stoped doing all the random stupid stuff.

The fix is just click the random personalities option.At king level for the first time I saw the civs playing ok.Never overexpanding or being ultra agressive.Hell Ghandi stoped being a huge warmonger and actually played more like himself.

I was like hmm that must be tested so I made two more games just to see how the civs will play out the first 100 turns.So far the only "crazy" as in stupid AI was Egypt that declared on france and two city stated and got smashed.Outside that I really have a good time against those AIs.

Hope this workaround help those who seek more challenge.

Thanks, I'll definitely try to grasp at that frail straw in order to have some challenge with this game... I'll see what happens.

Not smarter but it's still more of a challenge. I mean, the end result is the same, the AI gets an advantage. Doesn't really matter if it comes from being smart or from a bonus. It's only so noticeable because it is terrible at doing battle.

Doesn't matter? So you don't mind if the difficult of the game is because the AI plays smart and does nice tactics or if it just gets big bonuses to production and just outnumbers/outtechs you?

really?

It's not only war. When I captured a capital recently, the AI had not even a single improvement! 3 of my 4 cities where almost fully improved at this point.

Not to mention it defended its capital with two lone archers (and it had declared the war!).

City positioning: China moved its second city 20 tiles away and only 2 tiles away from my capital, for no apparent reason. They settled into tundra! I can only imagine there's a lot of oil or uranium underneath I can't see yet.

(Prince difficulty, I only got the game yesterday)

Right...I suppose playing chess against your little sister, minus a queen and two rooks, is about equally as fun a challenge as playing against Bobby Fischer.

To get back on topic...

Please reply back to this thread if the OP's trick does indeed work. I realize that if it does you will be playing for the next few hours :p

I'd test it myself but I am not at my home computer right now.

Have anyone ever seen a good AI in any strategy/tactics game with random maps?

rise of nations
galactic civilizations 2
to some degree age of empires series was decent

random maps have very little to do with it

Nope, my last game on immortal as japan i had USA bottle-necked at a choke point with 1 samurai with a citadel up front, a trebuchet and like 3 archers on the sides and managed to take about about 30 or so units before i could roll up into Washington and win. The tried sending units past me but ONLY right along the water, enough for my archers to focus on them one at a time. It basically became a 'how long should i turtle this spot before they start running low' situation, even as i was outnumbered like 5-1.

rise of nations
galactic civilizations 2
to some degree age of empires series was decent

You don't think random maps have anything to do with it? How so? It's much easier to plan AI behavior when the map is fixed.

I do agree with Rise of Nations. Forgot about that. I've never beaten it on the highest difficulty. But is it because of the genious of the AI, or because of the bonuses? In Rise of Nations production advantages are everything.

rise of nations
galactic civilizations 2

On release Gal Civ 2 AI was not much better than this.

The other two games are RTS and not at all similar, and the AI also sucks on them.

Battle for Wesnoth is a free, open source, hex-based TBS tactics game and has nice combat AI.

I love Battle for Wesnoth. It has one of the better Hex based AIs I have seen. And the AI is frankly horrible. AI is not easy FYI.

Battle for Wesnoth AI is just gold (production bonuses) and a rule to always kill as many units of yours as possible regardless of consequence. So it is a vicious fighter, but lacks any real skill.

all those games you just named took years of post release development to get the AI where it is. Civ V has about a week.

I'm amazed at how intelligent the AI is in this game. It is almost human-like.

Top Bottom