I want to help this mod

Branches pr297-merge and pr318-merge can be deleted.
There is also a note in the code cleanup project about improving python call syntax. That is done.

Did you moved NPC defines somehow?
Civs 40 - 50 were meant to be reserved for NPCs
I think this WILL break saves and scenarios.
And MEMORY.
Unless you can force them to be City Civs, which could be an interesting twist for a Real Earth RFC-ish map.
I would definitely enjoy playing one, if it managed to not explode in MAFs.

NPC civs will move themselves if MAX_PLAYERS is changed and the dll rebuilt. The players created / removed will be non NPC. Setting it to 100 would lead to mafs sooner for sure.

I don't think NPCs are set in scenario files, so they should be compatible as long as MAX_PLAYERS isn't set too low.
Changing MAX_PLAYERS would break saves of course. It will be left where it's at on github.

NPC civs will move themselves if MAX_PLAYERS is changed and the dll rebuilt. The players created / removed will be non NPC. Setting it to 100 would lead to mafs sooner for sure.

I don't think NPCs are set in scenario files, so they should be compatible as long as MAX_PLAYERS isn't set too low.
Changing MAX_PLAYERS would break saves of course. It will be left where it's at on github.
Worldbuilder saves NPCs as if they were actual civs - you need to remove them after you finish doing scenario.

I would definitely try playing (or even creating) a Real Earth map with 100 forced-one-city civs, lol.
Wouldn't actually MAF that much, since AI rarely tends to create endless throngs of units (or does it) - and cities number wouldn't be much bigger than in a normal 40-civ game, if not LOWER (normal civs tend to grow into 10s of cities, if given map space, which is a lot MORE).
In fact, the current best Earth map was shown to host around FIVE HUNDRED cities - which is FIVE times MORE than in the suggested case.

I would definitely try playing (or even creating) a Real Earth map with 100 forced-one-city civs, lol.
Wouldn't actually MAF that much, since AI rarely tends to create endless throngs of units (or does it) - and cities number wouldn't be much bigger than in a normal 40-civ game, if not LOWER (normal civs tend to grow into 10s of cities, if given map space, which is a lot MORE).
In fact, the current best Earth map was shown to host around FIVE HUNDRED cities - which is FIVE times MORE than in the suggested case.
Pit's map (that one which can hold 500 cities easily) is 2x bigger than biggest maps you can generate.
You can get easily plagued with MAFs here.

Pit's map (that one which can hold 500 cities easily) is 2x bigger than biggest maps you can generate.
You can get easily plagued with MAFs here.
And I'm currently playing it (though as a Settler, so that I can curb their growth easily with "Police Heroes", lol).
By "creating", I meant "putting that 100 of cities onto the ready map", not making the map from scratch myself.
This (combined with one-city-civs to stop the city-explosion avalanche) would be a really easy starting point for a RFC-style "role playing" or whatever, where you could be given specific TASKS in regards to specific FIXED cities.
And since you couldn't even conquer them without razing, it'd make for a ton of really fun objectives related to POLITICALLY and ECONOMICALLY affecting those.
I'd say, it sounds like real fun.
Also, it LOOKS kinda Civ 5/6-ish, but PLAYS totally like Civ 4 (duh).

,m_paszClassicalArtDefineTags(NULL)
,m_paszRennArtDefineTags(NULL)
,m_paszIndustrialArtDefineTags(NULL)
,m_paszFutureArtDefineTags(NULL)

How many units have multiple graphics? Don't modders have a tough time getting the 1 graphic?

,m_paszClassicalArtDefineTags(NULL)
,m_paszRennArtDefineTags(NULL)
,m_paszIndustrialArtDefineTags(NULL)
,m_paszFutureArtDefineTags(NULL)

How many units have multiple graphics? Don't modders have a tough time getting the 1 graphic?
Think of workers, settlers, and so on. There are some units that do this, change throughout time without having to change type. Not all... not even many. But enough that it's a needed tag set really. I'm not sure if it's AS needed in C2C as it was in vanilla... but it does still count for great people and some others.

What's the next step?
Me getting a version of C2C that works! :mischief:

The current tech tree philosophy has curtailed many of the proposals as they were tech branches that would be alternates that crossed eras. For example the split between "rote learning" and the various forms of writing. Historically a nation can get to mid-Renaissance without the need for writing at all. Just as nations can get into space without the vowels provided by an alphabet.

I have come up with a solution to the glass/lacquerware problem (a basically double counting of income problem) which does not need this method of tech tree restriction.

The other next step was to have buildings and resources affect the speed at which research happens. For example if you have access both copper and tin then bronze working would be faster than if you only had access to one or neither.

Platyping has already made a (python) mod that does this. I was trying to move the details out of the Python and into custom XML.

I am currently learning C++/Python and am wondering how I could start with understanding C2C's code and how to made modmods. :)

for the c++ step one is to set yourself up so that you can build the dll.
Might be better to stick with python if possible though.

You got some ideas?

The current tech tree philosophy has curtailed many of the proposals as they were tech branches that would be alternates that crossed eras. For example the split between "rote learning" and the various forms of writing. Historically a nation can get to mid-Renaissance without the need for writing at all. Just as nations can get into space without the vowels provided by an alphabet.

You cant stress enough how important writing is. Language, Writing, Printing Press, Internet etc, techs that allow people to communicate, store and access knowledge are the grease for the wheel of innovation. Sure, you can go to mid renaissance or further without writing, but its also a question of how likely this is. Dont you think that at one point, somebody will figure out that such a simple "tech" could enhance their lives so much that they just do it anyways? You can also go very far without hunting, fishing, cooking, fire making, the wheel... but these things are so convenient, that I suspect at one point, it is basically given that a certain tech is developed.

Bla bla bla, enough smart-assing, having building prereqs for techs is just plain awesome and Id love to see it in game! :)
Would also be a nice feat to give more meaning to the various lab buildings you can build in ren. and later areas.

I am currently learning C++/Python and am wondering how I could start with understanding C2C's code and how to made modmods. :)
To work on c++ code you will need to fork our git repository, as that is where you'll find our dll's source files, .cpp and .h. We also have bat files that will compile the current source files automatically for you so that anyone on any windows computer can compile a dll without any knowledge of programming whatsoever.

SVN will suffice if you're only going to work on python modding, as python code are just txt files that the exe interprets at run time as code, meaning there are no hidden source files, the source files are the same as the working files needed by the mod to work.
SVN doesn't include files that are not needed for the game to work, like the dll source files.

Top Bottom