I wrote a paper on a 650 AI Game data analysis (VP 4.5)

Policy choices are heavily influenced by player traits. Based on the traits, civs are categorized as "Smaller", "Expansionist", "Warmonger", "Religious", "Diplomat", "Tourism" and "Science", and the categories are used in the weighting of the policy choices. Other factors that affect policy choices are the values in the database table "Leader_Flavors" and the victory type the civ is going for.

It seems to be a bug that all civs are "Religious", I'll check it.
Where (and in which version) did you get this table?

Where (and in which version) did you get this table?
Version 4.7.3

I exposed IsSmaller and the other functions to lua (see here), started a 43 civ game and ran the following command in the fire tuner lua console:

Code:
for i=0,42 do local t = Players[i]; print(t:GetCivilizationShortDescription() .. " " .. t:IsSmaller() .. " " .. t:IsExpansionist() .. " " .. t:IsWarmonger() .. " " .. t:IsReligious() .. " " .. t:IsDiplomat() .. " " .. t:IsTourism() .. " " .. t:IsNerd() ) end

Many of the oddities pointed out by Stalker can be directly traced back to the trait evaluation. Germany shouldn't be "Smaller", Japan should be "Warmonger" and Shoshone should not. And why are Shoshone a "Tourism" civ?

I do think AI policy selection needs a complete overhaul and should be based much more on strategic considerations than it is now. That would be a complex project, however. It is easy to change how the traits are evaluated and that can be done as a quick fix for some of the strange AI decisions.

Shoshone is warmonger because their recon units get a free promotion, and is tourism because of the extra tiles on conquest.

Polynesia picking artistry only 6% of the time despite culture being their primary win condition.

Many civs that are major warmongers are picking fealty way more than they should. There is no way Huns is founding 100% of the time, so them picking fealty just helps someone else spread. Meanwhile major religious civs like Ethiopia never pick it.
What is a good warmonger non-fealty tree?

I meant medieval, what do you pick in between completing authority and before you unlock imperialism?
I've heard many people suggest Progress as your "medieval" tree to pair with Authority.

Also the reverse, going Progress > Authority.

I used to go authority>fealty complete. This time I tried this mix (Byzantium, King, tiny map pangea, only domination victory)

POLICIES.png
So far, England is my vassal, Brasil are friends. I try to convince them to eliminate the Celts next.

Yeah something’s going desperately off for policy choice decisions. Lots of examples of AI civs that 100% miss some of the most obvious synergies for their kits with these policy choices
The AI is making a lot of choices based on arbitrary values. Needs to be rewritten.

I like authority > progress because both scale nice with wide and then I can faith buy writers later.
I usually go rationalism as third because its so nice science tile yields and its very strong on happines. Bonus for great persons +faith buy scientists are cherries on top, not a single meh pick in the entire tree.
Imperialism have 2 strong picks (so you have to spend 3 because of opener) the rest feels meh.

@L. Vern did you see any civs that consistently did great early on but fell apart like a house of cards or any civ always getting 2nd?

Top Bottom