Idea for Austria nerf

The A.K.T

Warlord
I think that Austria needs a little nerf. Something like this:

Can Absorb CS. First Absorb 400 gold, Increases by 200 for each Absorb.

Or this:

Can absorb CS. First Absorb Costs 400 gold increases by 200 for each era.

What do u think?

more..... those units worth much more gold
The problem that Austria gets all units.....
Nerf units and it seem to be ok :D

Can absorb city starts? You mean other civs capitals? That would make no sense and be totally broken...

city states is fine, I agree with upping the cost probably though. Maybe make it 1000 instead of 500 to marry a CS.

I assume he meant city states (the e is next to the r). I agree the cost should go up per city. The AI uses it far too often. I also think you should be able to liberate them even if they don't count as conquered from the Austrian perspective. Permanently removing them from the game is weird.

Can absorb city starts? You mean other civs capitals? That would make no sense and be totally broken...

city states is fine, I agree with upping the cost probably though. Maybe make it 1000 instead of 500 to marry a CS.

it says CS

Or make sum bigger and requirement TO BORDER CS before marring it

I think the way Austria could be nerfed is yes increase cost and -5% gold earning for each city-state you marry into so say you marry into 4 city-states before you married you made 100 gold per turn after married the 4 city-states you only make 80 gold per turn. Because it overlappes.

I thought that a good idea might be:
1. Price goes up with successive marriages
2. "Promotion" or really anti promotion on all units acquired through the marriage that lowers combat effectivness or raises upkeep. Would go away with unit upgrade
3. Make it so that Austria has to maintain ally status for a set number of turns before marriage. This one is because I don't like being able to coup and marry in the same turn.
4. Allow Married states to be liberated if captured by non Austiran Civilization.

Maybe have Same religion with the capital requirement, it doesn't make sense for two religiously different states to join through marriage.

Also, annexation happens automatically, it happens after a certain number of turns after they are allied, with increasing Mean time to happen for the following CS's.

I thought that a good idea might be:
1. Price goes up with successive marriages
2. "Promotion" or really anti promotion on all units acquired through the marriage that lowers combat effectivness or raises upkeep. Would go away with unit upgrade
3. Make it so that Austria has to maintain ally status for a set number of turns before marriage. This one is because I don't like being able to coup and marry in the same turn.
4. Allow Married states to be liberated if captured by non Austiran Civilization.

I like your ideas, especially your 1. and your 4. point.

I would say: Make buying out CS baseline, but only available after 10 straight turns of being allies and only for 1000 gold + 250 for each already converted CS.

Austria can do it immediately and it only costs them 500 + 125 for each already converted CS.

That way, Austria would still receive a big bonus and others could buy out CS, but only at a high price (more of a "I have been allied with this CS for years and just don't want to have to conquer it, but I NEED to have it in my empire" situation).

Changes
1) Linear of exponential increase in costs as marriage occurs. Linear is predictable rise, exponential allows first few marriages to be in the same range but rising exponentially past that.

2) Add a 'buyout' costs where Austria must pay a fraction (say 50% or 25%) of the combined influence of other civs as a premium to marrying a contested City State. The civs with influence on the CS gets the cash.

3) Must have ally status of 160 or great before marriange can happen

I like the idea of requiring set turns before marriage as well but as it seems arbitrary it's an open question of if the devs would be interested in it.

A neat possibility is to give Austria and Austria only a unique CS quest, called Diplomatic Marriage where the CS specifically set out the conditions for X turns then after which marriage can occur.

Changes
1) Linear of exponential increase in costs as marriage occurs. Linear is predictable rise, exponential allows first few marriages to be in the same range but rising exponentially past that.

2) Add a 'buyout' costs where Austria must pay a fraction (say 50% or 25%) of the combined influence of other civs as a premium to marrying a contested City State. The civs with influence on the CS gets the cash.

3) Must have ally status of 160 or great before marriange can happen

I like the idea of requiring set turns before marriage as well but as it seems arbitrary it's an open question of if the devs would be interested in it.

A neat possibility is to give Austria and Austria only a unique CS quest, called Diplomatic Marriage where the CS specifically set out the conditions for X turns then after which marriage can occur.

I think your suggestions are not really realistic, although I could say even worse things about your suggestions but I won't. The logical ones would be

*being the same religion as Austria

*Austria not being able to do it before medieval ages

*+200 or more cost increase for every next CS Austria marries in

*For every next CS they influence, their Influence is lowered by a certain percent

*No easy annexations. (Required Courthouse like everyone else)

*Also a good one: CS can be liberated once you capture them back from Austria.

Yeah, it should increase 50% for each marriage.

Era shouldn't make a difference as some players would still get too many marriages and some too few.

I think your suggestions are not really realistic, although I could say even worse things about your suggestions but I won't. The logical ones would be

Say it, no need to beat around the bush.

One comment though is that although we strive for 'realism' and avoid gamey elements, all the ideas around 'fixing' or nerfing Austria's diplomatic marriage ability are indeed gamey and unrealistic, especially the popular one where their cost goes up.

In reality, marrying out Austrian princes and princesses was a very effective and cheap way for Austria to ingratiate itself with neighbouring imperial dynasties and augment its political power during Maria Theresa's reign and there was no rule that it became more expensive for them to marry out each time. :)

Say it, no need to beat around the bush.

One comment though is that although we strive for 'realism' and avoid gamey elements, all the ideas around 'fixing' or nerfing Austria's diplomatic marriage ability are indeed gamey and unrealistic, especially the popular one where their cost goes up.

In reality, marrying out Austrian princes and princesses was a very effective and cheap way for Austria to ingratiate itself with neighbouring imperial dynasties and augment its political power during Maria Theresa's reign and there was no rule that it became more expensive for them to marry out each time. :)

Ofcourse those are just a few suggestions I made. I just realised a few I mentioned aren't any better than what you've suggested but your second and third are just unimaginably out of consideration.

I like the idea of special quest, that Austria can get with CS, so It can marry. It's actually not that bad of an Idea.

Why not just have the cost scale with the Age, just like CS benefits do? Something like 300 gold ancient Age + 100 gold per age after that?

Strange how if your royalty its a brilliant diplomatic coup if your not its pimping your daughter and punishable by a jail term

Having played with and agaisnt Austraia i dont think it needs changing. Is the advantage really that much better than a CS? Greece has the best bet 0% decrease per turn in favor loyal CS throwing gifts at you and not having to worry about all those whiney cities you took over driving your happiness down.

The bums rush for land no longer happens, if you want 10 cities build them where you want no need to buy out CS.

Top Bottom