Idea for Religion: Holy City States

I support your excellent idea :)

Lol, we should copyright that signature only for supporters if we wanna make a successful campaign :p

Well I'm really pleased to see so many people using it :D
Now we just need to get 2K Greg onboard :think:

Well I'm really pleased to see so many people using it :D
Now we just need to get 2K Greg onboard :think:

How do we do that? I dont want to stalk him or anything...:mischief:

Well, guess I joined the sig' boat! :lol:

I've updated my list of religions & holy cities. Check it out below!

Christianity - Bethlehem
Catholocism - Vatican City
Protestantism - Wittenburg
Orthodox - Constantinople
Mormonism - Salt Lake City
Islam - Mecca(?)
Sunni Islam - Mecca(?)
Shia Islam - Najaf
Judaism - Jerusalem
Scientology - Clearwater
Pastafarianism - Corvallis(?), Topeka(?)
SubGenius - Dallas

And yes, I strongly believe that the last 3 on the list should be included! :smoke:

You could have holy state states for "basic" religions and each civ could adopt its own sect, if you need that level of realism :)

I think that 12 holy city-states is too much. I think that max number of holy city-states (on standard map) should be 4 holy and 12 other kind of city-states.

Bethlehem?:) Is that the hebrew name for Jerusalem? if thats the case than Bethlehem should be excenged with Jerusalem.

Also to be different Sunni Islam could be Medina

Cool! And the cities we would have are... Jerusalem. And.... Jerusalem? Hmmmm, Mecca? Nope, allready taken. Did I say Jerusalem?

Yeah, probably want to make The Vatican Christianity's just so they don't all get clustered together in the same super-religion-city. Also seems a bit over-the-top to include a bunch of branches of the same religion (would we really need Catholicism and Protestantism and Orthodoxy et al?); don't see any reason to depart from the broader Christianity/Islam/Judaism/Hinduism/Buddhism etc. model.

This would probably never happen in the actual game, but it would make an excellent mod or scenario.

While I'm very sparing with this sort of comment, I'd say that given the attention the devs pay to the really good suggestions and mod ideas, it's likely that we may see some sort of implementation of this idea down the line in an expansion. It just so brilliantly solves pretty much all the problems of the old religion system while keeping it exciting and adding a lot of depth to the gameplay. And it's also sort of realistic, which is always a plus!

While I'm very sparing with this sort of comment, I'd say that given the attention the devs pay to the really good suggestions and mod ideas, it's likely that we may see some sort of implementation of this idea down the line in an expansion. It just so brilliantly solves pretty much all the problems of the old religion system while keeping it exciting and adding a lot of depth to the gameplay. And it's also sort of realistic, which is always a plus!

I hope you're right :D

Yes for exemple the UP's I think were based on Rhye's mod.

:agree:
And CaesarPortugal 340 post in a max of two weeks that might be a record.

Why is the Arab capital Mecca anyway? I thought we are talking about the Caliphate. The Caliphate's capitol was Baghdad for most of the time it was around. Using Mecca is like using Philly for America as a capitol. Certainly Mecca was an Arab city. But any city could be an Arab city. I did not think the Arabs are meant to be represent Saudi Arabia.

And the Lamaism is not what every Buddhist follows. The Dhali Lama is like a pope for Tibet. He is not the leader of the Buddhist world.

Just echoing what other have said - this is a great idea! :goodjob: Make "religious" a fourth type of city state, lots of ways it could be implemented. I love the ideas for different religion/city pairs. Only a few would be in each game, but there could be many possibilities.

Well, guess I joined the sig' boat! :lol:

I've updated my list of religions & holy cities. Check it out below!

Scientology - Clearwater
SubGenius - Dallas

And yes, I strongly believe that the last 3 on the list should be included! :smoke:

Well, one hardly wishes to legitimize Scientology.

Also: Discordianism - Mu.

Although I'm heavily biased in favor of my own ideas for adding religion to the game (who wouldn't be? ;) ), I think that these ideas are *very* good, & probably the most likely to get accepted as an expansion (though I still hope that my ideas get the nod ;) ). At the very least, I'd love to see someone make this as a mod for Civ5!

Aussie.

Randomness is better to me because the lists are getting strange imo when trying to add denominations.

Here is the present top ten denominations inside of religions worldwide.
Catholic Christianity 1,050,000,000
Sunni Islam 940,000,000
Vaishnavites Hinduism 580,000,000
Orthodox/Eastern Christian Christianity 240,000,000
Shaivites Hinduism 220,000,000
Conservative Protestant Christianity 200,000,000
Mahayana Buddhism 185,000,000
Liberal Protestant Christianity 150,000,000
Theravada Buddhism 124,000,000
Shiite Islam 120,000,000

Now as for historically important I would have Zoroastrianism for sure. I would also suggest Manichaeism.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manichaeism

Judaism. What would there be no denominations? You would need something if adding denominations.

I could see various historical Christian denominations being important. Too many I think can be named here.

Islam there are other branches as well. One important one I would say is Kharijite.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_schools_and_branches#Kharijite_Islam

Now what about Hindus? They do not really have the same exact beliefs. They are 4 large branches in it. Vaishnavites follow mainly Vishnu. Shaivites follow mainly Shiva.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindu_denominations

Buddhism at least 3 I can think of. Mahayana is in East Asia more often, and Theravada in the Southeast. Vajrayana is the Tibet Buddhist and they number 20,000,000.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schools_of_Buddhism

For China though I think you have whole different issue when you bring in philosophy. Anyway if someone is interested in reading I think this is relevant.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hundred_Schools_of_Thought

Anyway I think random is better and probably easier to have fewer religions. I really would not trust them to make them if trying to match reality. If they would make real denominations I think it would be like opening up Pandora's box.

Christianity - Bethlehem
Catholocism - Vatican City
Protestantism - Wittenburg
Orthodox - Constantinople
Mormonism - Salt Lake City
Islam - Mecca(?)
Sunni Islam - Mecca(?)
Shia Islam - Najaf
Judaism - Jerusalem
Scientology - Clearwater
SubGenius - Dallas

Although I agree with you that Protestantism somewhat started in Wittenberg and therefore could be considered the "holy city", it is about 300km away from Wittenburg :)

Top Bottom